Gen 4: 2011-2015 70,500 miles engine blown - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 Old 06-22-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
The Pace

Posting Frequency

70,500 miles engine blown

Update on '13 that stopped mid loop a couple weeks ago with just over 70,500 miles. Dealer tech reported failure in top end sent fragments forcing engine seize. Kawa corp warranty will fix; will take awhile.

I bought this bike new Sept. 2014. Lasted two years eight months. I bought a new 2011 10r April, 2012; That engine failed about May, 2014, with 50,000 miles. Lasted two years and one month. Both bikes ran same hard loop except the '11 loop was slightly less miles; I ride everyday, weather permitting. '11 did not have extended warranty.

I've owned many super bikes and simply sell them for almost nothing after three years with just over 100k miles. R1's, CBRs, one FZ1. No engine failures. Never had extended warranty until the '13 10r. All had to be towed for minor stuff like flats.

Fourth consecutive summer off a bike.

If I ride everyday I use this site to wind down; no riding then I simply have no interest in any riding sites; I'll update status when dealer tech releases the bike or any new info is provided.

Last edited by scout; 06-22-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 06-22-2017, 04:02 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
Damn Scout!you might now have to create conversation at home to take your mind off your 2 wheel therapy!I suggest to get on peddle power to save the headf.ck
post #3 of 55 Old 06-22-2017, 04:46 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Wait did you just say kawasaki will fix this? how?

post #4 of 55 Old 06-22-2017, 05:10 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnG View Post
Wait did you just say kawasaki will fix this? how?
\

Scout must have the 5 year extended warranty with his 2014. It's not the only 4th gen motor that I've known to go but the other one died with low mileage (lucky since he had the 5 year warranty as well).

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
post #5 of 55 Old 06-22-2017, 05:27 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschenut View Post
\

Scout must have the 5 year extended warranty with his 2014. It's not the only 4th gen motor that I've known to go but the other one died with low mileage (lucky since he had the 5 year warranty as well).
still i didnt think it would be mileage exempt...
post #6 of 55 Old 06-22-2017, 06:46 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Yup, it must be an unusual warranty for sure. I think my buddy said his was either a high mileage or unlimited and only time constrained. Does Kawasaki expect all of our bikes to get wrecked before hitting Scout's kind of mileage?
ShawnG likes this.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
post #7 of 55 Old 06-22-2017, 06:48 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Warranty I got on my 2017 is mileage exempt (specifically asked since if I ever return it to street, my street bikes get miles piled on) - kawi warranty seems pretty legit.
ShawnG likes this.

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2017 sponsors and supporters!!
Kawasaki USA Team Green; DareDevil Motorsports; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; BARF Racing; Dunlop Race Tires; Woodcraft; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Skratch Labs; PUSH Laptimer
post #8 of 55 Old 06-23-2017, 09:13 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
- kawi warranty seems pretty legit.
Thats for damn sure! never would i thought there would be an available unlimited mileage warranty on a motorcycle thats lives its entire life just getting its neck wrung... thats awesome
Honey Badger likes this.
post #9 of 55 Old 06-23-2017, 12:54 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Is there any more specific information on what "top end failure" actually means here?
post #10 of 55 Old 06-23-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Wehmeyer View Post
Is there any more specific information on what "top end failure" actually means here?
Yes, I have a few more puzzle pieces from admin at the dealer; reporting from memory per phone contact yesterday:

1. Admin mentioned that tech reported suspicion that one of the valves failed.

2. Admin reported that Kawa corp does NOT 'crate new engines.'

3. Admin reported that Kawa corp instructed technician to photo all parts and include photos with parts request.

4. Admin manager added that Kawa is the only major super manufacturer that does NOT supply new engines. This comment was not negative, simply reporting Kawa policy.

5. Admin dealer is confident that the bike will be as good as new; I have no doubt that the bike will be as good as new.

I still have the '11 and after running the released '13 will request estimate to rebuild the '11.

I'm so in need of a back up bike.

If all goes well, it will be impossible for me to go back to the cbr super.

hope this helps.

Last edited by scout; 06-23-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.