Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

70,500 miles engine blown

Gen 4: 2011-15 
18K views 66 replies 21 participants last post by  scout 
#1 · (Edited)
Update on '13 that stopped mid loop a couple weeks ago with just over 70,500 miles. Dealer tech reported failure in top end sent fragments forcing engine seize. Kawa corp warranty will fix; will take awhile.

I bought this bike new Sept. 2014. Lasted two years eight months. I bought a new 2011 10r April, 2012; That engine failed about May, 2014, with 50,000 miles. Lasted two years and one month. Both bikes ran same hard loop except the '11 loop was slightly less miles; I ride everyday, weather permitting. '11 did not have extended warranty.

I've owned many super bikes and simply sell them for almost nothing after three years with just over 100k miles. R1's, CBRs, one FZ1. No engine failures. Never had extended warranty until the '13 10r. All had to be towed for minor stuff like flats.

Fourth consecutive summer off a bike.

If I ride everyday I use this site to wind down; no riding then I simply have no interest in any riding sites; I'll update status when dealer tech releases the bike or any new info is provided.

See less See more
#4 ·
\

Scout must have the 5 year extended warranty with his 2014. It's not the only 4th gen motor that I've known to go but the other one died with low mileage (lucky since he had the 5 year warranty as well).

#10 · (Edited)
Yes, I have a few more puzzle pieces from admin at the dealer; reporting from memory per phone contact yesterday:

1. Admin mentioned that tech reported suspicion that one of the valves failed.

2. Admin reported that Kawa corp does NOT 'crate new engines.'

3. Admin reported that Kawa corp instructed technician to photo all parts and include photos with parts request.

4. Admin manager added that Kawa is the only major super manufacturer that does NOT supply new engines. This comment was not negative, simply reporting Kawa policy.

5. Admin dealer is confident that the bike will be as good as new; I have no doubt that the bike will be as good as new.

I still have the '11 and after running the released '13 will request estimate to rebuild the '11.

I'm so in need of a back up bike.

If all goes well, it will be impossible for me to go back to the cbr super.

hope this helps.

#14 ·
Ive never seen, or heard of any of the Japanese selling complete motors. You cant order a complete r1, cbr, or gsxr motor, either.

The pricing would bee too awkward to list.

I have no idea what the figure is, but imagine building a zx10 from the parts catalogue. The price is probably 50-75kk.

With that in mind, I dont imagine they would get to many orders for a crate engine that cost 15k.

#15 ·
Ive never seen, or heard of any of the Japanese selling complete motors. You cant order a complete r1, cbr, or gsxr motor, either.

The pricing would bee too awkward to list.

I have no idea what the figure is, but imagine building a zx10 from the parts lcatalogue. The price is probably 50-75kk.

With that in mind, I dont imagine they would get to many orders for a crate engine that cost 15k.
The parts list for the latest rebuild was $4200 CAD i think not including labor. Solid 50 hours ontop of that. What i think happened may have happened in my case was the first rebuild wasnt completed properly and that caused the second failure. No real way to know though. Simply speculation.

Reactions: rcannon
#16 ·
Ive had to rebuild some air compressors that developed issues, during warranty.

Always a lousy job because you did not really have the say-so on what all parts were replaced.

The factories did not send everything I wanted to replace. They sent the bare minimum needed to do a semi-decent job.

It was best if the customer approached me and said, "I know I might have to pay, but please replace what you think is necessary." Which rarely happened.

I saw way too many 10.00 dollar seals, or 30.00 gears get installed, or reused, when they should have been replaced.

#25 ·
Just to put it out there, the warranty on the Aprilia I just bought has no mileage restriction. They probably assume itll never be ridden enough for the miles to matter or itll be crashed if you ride a lot of miles.

Scout, nice work on the mileage. Thats what, 120000 miles between these Gen 4s that youve blown up in the past few years? Thats a looot of riding and a lot of mileage for the year. What does your insurance company think of the mileage you rack up?

#28 · (Edited)
Manufacturers and insurance deal only with statistics. Riders simply do not ride superbikes, statistically speaking. Scary stat as superbikes are the safest configuration plus state of the art regarding suspension. That mileage on the two g4's began April, 2012. With now four consecutive summers of interrupted riding plus off last Sept an additional five weeks due to injury, mileage is low compared to all past years. No reason to report all mileage I have on superbikes as no one will believe...except Rossi. :)

So Kawa looks at the superbike stats and insurance looks at all motor stats and both arrive at the same conclusion: statistically, riders don't ride at all; or anywhere near cage miles. I ride far more miles than my cages, for certain. No effort. Just a mental workout is what I get out of a bike workout. Plus fun doing the range of stuff that we do and I include doing stuff with cagers in mind. Why the empty rural 100 mile section is mandatory. Pay for that, though, if the bike quits in the middle of no where. I'll get AAA when the dealer releases the bike this time.

edit: a warranty without mileage restrictions is market psych. Bet nearly zero cage makers offer limitless mile warranty. Some day, maybe.

#40 ·
Lets say you go in to buy your new bike. You do all the paperwork, and pay for the machine.

Just before you ride away, the salesman brings out a contract. You read it.

It is a guarantee that your bike will reach 70,500 miles, almost trouble free...however, at 70,501mi, it will let go in a big way. You still have to maintain it, and do the two or three valve checks needed, but the bike will see 70.500, guaranteed.

Or, you can refuse to sign, and the bike will last as long as it is going to..basically, the same deal we all get.

Would you take the deal?

I think I would.

#42 · (Edited)
Not under warranty? Argentina. So funny that I was asking the wife if we can move to Paraguay a couple days ago. I thought of Chile but not sure of their politics.

Why no parts? Something reeks here.

Request all details on your situation: everything regarding events leading up to failure, age of bike, what happened, etc., when you have a moment. thx

#45 ·
Yes, bike has no warranty. I never told Them not to get paid.

I comlaint that They do not get parts to repair my bike, and They do not care a shit about solving client's problem.

I solved It buying needed parts in partzilla.com; paying with paypal and sending Them to Paraguay.

But I can not get crankcase that way, and Kawasaki does not care about It.

#46 ·
Check ebay for a g4 case.

Two things negative the 10r taught me: always buy extended warranty and always by AAA, road tow guys.

On the other hand, once i bought the 5 year extended warranty, once the bike blew up, can't simply buy a new bike as the wife throws a road block on me with the VERY good reason 'that I have the extended warranty!'

Just buy two bikes at same time next time around if I can afford it.

Good luck on Kawa. Talk to them direct.

#49 ·
I think It is easier than that:
1-Very small market, in a very large territory.
2-Taxes too high.
3-Not Official dealer in country, just official importer (ONE official importer for all country).
4-Official importer does not care about after sales service.

Enough to remove extended warranty, doesn't It?.

Remember USA is the largest market in the whole world after China. They NEED to sale to You. Ha Ha.

#50 ·
OK, guessed right. Kawa can't make anything in your country. Does any super bike builder have a dealer there? I would go Yuck r1 if that was the only dealer. Bottom line is that builder must be in position to back their bike.

pia, for sure

#52 ·
scout- did you used to be on cycleforums?

Also, I had a valve spring retainer crack on my old 01 zx6r @ 17k miles. Valves tended to get tight on the outside cylinders I suppose, I bought it with 15.5k from a buddy and thought it may have been done (he didn't know as he didn't really ride it). Possible culprit.

Another thing I noticed based off mileage is that the owners manual says to clean the air filter after riding in the rain. there's isn't much bypass on these new bikes, wonder if a lot of rain riding contributed in some fashion.

#54 ·
No on cycleforums; I rotate in and back to specific bike sites as I switch supers. I never ride rain as wet totally ruins the loop as this area gets slippery in every rain since is doesn't rain much at all, (California, mid latitude, coastal, constant dry builds oil and whenever rain hits causes ice like effect; everyone here knows to slow way down in rare rain weather). On the other hand, air conditions here is clean except for bugs and rare bird strikes.

#57 · (Edited)
Thx for the interest; bike is still in shop. Went in about May 29 so 4.5 months. I've called dealer service admin only twice, once in July and once at end of Sept. I'm low pressure, for sure. The last time I can tell that admin wants the bike cleared. At the time he said tech is waiting 'for one more piston' and it should be done within a week baring any problems.' That was a couple weeks ago.

The thought always pops into my mind as to why kawa won't simply provide a new g4 as that would be less expensive than paying the dealer to sort all this out. All Kawa has to say is they decide how to handle warranty fixes on a case by case basis.

Anyway, the dealer is somewhat stressed and I've not been pestering him about the bike at all. I want the tech guy to have zero pressure.

At this point, bike appears to be nearing the checkout point.

edit: meanwhile, I've been without a super. Wife is on control freak mode about a new bike until this warranty thing is settled. She's on to me. Dang.

#58 ·
Wow..thats nuts, and pretty poor service from Kawasaki, themselves. I know its not the dealers fault. Im with you, too , in not going after the shop.

I know you are that 1 in a million case, with regards to mileage, but I'll imagine they were happy to take your money when you bought the warranty?

#59 ·
I'm betting it's more the techs/dealership then kawi holding his bike up. The lead tech(s) will take in all the easy money jobs before working on a most likely low paying warranty claim. Of course the tech(s) will blame it on waiting for parts or say the corporation is holding them up, but being inside the industry before I found that to be mostly lies and ways to draw out the process.

#67 · (Edited)
All good at this point; not sure at what point you entered the history line; bike was returned; did 1200 miles and noticed oil leak when under power. Bike went back to dealer for a week or so; found a faulty clutch oil seal. Replaced under warranty. All good so far

Bike now has over 73,000 miles;

And, appears that the second cam chain is beginning to fail; Cam chain in g4 is rated at 35k miles and this current one was replaced about 41,000 miles so about due, I guess.

Doesn't sound as bad as the first cam chain failure, which is good.

This bike's warranty goes through September 2019; the 2013 bought new in Sept. 2014 with extended
five year warranty.

Yes, bike is worth about 2k at this point however the warranty adds value, which I appreciate; yes, patience is np for me, after about two weeks of no riding; and I'm not used to any dealer warranty work, but my super bikes get into tricky-tight situations, so I do NOT pressure service admin about anything about an asphalt liter bike;

After first few 200 mile loops, I noticed my neck was weak from the wind after 8 months off. That was about all I noticed; and neck recovered quickly.

Trust all is well on down your way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.