Gen 4: 2011-2015 70,500 miles engine blown - Page 6 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 64 Old 08-07-2017, 06:19 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Just Honda.

All others have only official importers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 64 Old 08-09-2017, 03:28 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

scout- did you used to be on cycleforums?

Also, I had a valve spring retainer crack on my old 01 zx6r @ 17k miles. Valves tended to get tight on the outside cylinders I suppose, I bought it with 15.5k from a buddy and thought it may have been done (he didn't know as he didn't really ride it). Possible culprit.

Another thing I noticed based off mileage is that the owners manual says to clean the air filter after riding in the rain. there's isn't much bypass on these new bikes, wonder if a lot of rain riding contributed in some fashion.
post #53 of 64 Old 08-10-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by natoch View Post
Just Honda.

All others have only official importers.
You're in Argentina, I suspect. Honda is the only company that offers warranties on supers. Do I have this correct?

post #54 of 64 Old 08-10-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroguy72 View Post
scout- did you used to be on cycleforums?

Also, I had a valve spring retainer crack on my old 01 zx6r @ 17k miles. Valves tended to get tight on the outside cylinders I suppose, I bought it with 15.5k from a buddy and thought it may have been done (he didn't know as he didn't really ride it). Possible culprit.

Another thing I noticed based off mileage is that the owners manual says to clean the air filter after riding in the rain. there's isn't much bypass on these new bikes, wonder if a lot of rain riding contributed in some fashion.
No on cycleforums; I rotate in and back to specific bike sites as I switch supers. I never ride rain as wet totally ruins the loop as this area gets slippery in every rain since is doesn't rain much at all, (California, mid latitude, coastal, constant dry builds oil and whenever rain hits causes ice like effect; everyone here knows to slow way down in rare rain weather). On the other hand, air conditions here is clean except for bugs and rare bird strikes.
post #55 of 64 Old 08-15-2017, 09:13 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
You're in Argentina, I suspect. Honda is the only company that offers warranties on supers. Do I have this correct?
Yes, I am in Argentina (I think I had told that some posts ago).

Kawasaki and Yamaha offers one year warranty here, also.

But nonof Them offers extended warranty.

Anyway, Honda offers best aftermarket service and spare parts. Pity actual Honda SS bikes are not good.
post #56 of 64 Old 10-15-2017, 10:39 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
Update on '13 that stopped mid loop a couple weeks ago with just over 70,500 miles. Dealer tech reported failure in top end sent fragments forcing engine seize. Kawa corp warranty will fix; will take awhile.

I bought this bike new Sept. 2014. Lasted two years eight months. I bought a new 2011 10r April, 2012; That engine failed about May, 2014, with 50,000 miles. Lasted two years and one month. Both bikes ran same hard loop except the '11 loop was slightly less miles; I ride everyday, weather permitting. '11 did not have extended warranty.

I've owned many super bikes and simply sell them for almost nothing after three years with just over 100k miles. R1's, CBRs, one FZ1. No engine failures. Never had extended warranty until the '13 10r. All had to be towed for minor stuff like flats.

Fourth consecutive summer off a bike.

If I ride everyday I use this site to wind down; no riding then I simply have no interest in any riding sites; I'll update status when dealer tech releases the bike or any new info is provided.
Scout, I just remembered this thread. Did you get your engine rebuilt, or whats happening?

Sorry if I missed an update...
post #57 of 64 Old 10-15-2017, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon View Post
Scout, I just remembered this thread. Did you get your engine rebuilt, or whats happening?

Sorry if I missed an update...
Thx for the interest; bike is still in shop. Went in about May 29 so 4.5 months. I've called dealer service admin only twice, once in July and once at end of Sept. I'm low pressure, for sure. The last time I can tell that admin wants the bike cleared. At the time he said tech is waiting 'for one more piston' and it should be done within a week baring any problems.' That was a couple weeks ago.

The thought always pops into my mind as to why kawa won't simply provide a new g4 as that would be less expensive than paying the dealer to sort all this out. All Kawa has to say is they decide how to handle warranty fixes on a case by case basis.

Anyway, the dealer is somewhat stressed and I've not been pestering him about the bike at all. I want the tech guy to have zero pressure.

At this point, bike appears to be nearing the checkout point.

edit: meanwhile, I've been without a super. Wife is on control freak mode about a new bike until this warranty thing is settled. She's on to me. Dang.

Last edited by scout; 10-15-2017 at 08:18 PM.
post #58 of 64 Old 10-16-2017, 08:33 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Wow..thats nuts, and pretty poor service from Kawasaki, themselves. I know its not the dealers fault. Im with you, too , in not going after the shop.

I know you are that 1 in a million case, with regards to mileage, but I'll imagine they were happy to take your money when you bought the warranty?
post #59 of 64 Old 10-16-2017, 03:49 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Wow..thats nuts, and pretty poor service from Kawasaki, themselves. I know its not the dealers fault. Im with you, too , in not going after the shop.

I know you are that 1 in a million case, with regards to mileage, but I'll imagine they were happy to take your money when you bought the warranty?
I'm betting it's more the techs/dealership then kawi holding his bike up. The lead tech(s) will take in all the easy money jobs before working on a most likely low paying warranty claim. Of course the tech(s) will blame it on waiting for parts or say the corporation is holding them up, but being inside the industry before I found that to be mostly lies and ways to draw out the process.
scout and Duhastme like this.

post #60 of 64 Old 10-16-2017, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:

Right after the 2011 blew up (that g4 blew at 50,000 miles no extended warranty) we had to take a few months to move about 100 miles. When settled in new place, first thing I did was call this shop for a new g4. No return call. So I just called one of the shops in SF area and they delivered the '13 AND delivered the blown '11 at yet another shop.

I knew that my new dealer, near Laguna, interestingly, was kinda slow.

And I bought the extended from here; Contact - D & H CYCLE

So didn't buy the bike or warranty from this dealer BUT this dealer did do warranty work on the cam last year so the shop has had the bike twice now.

Slight topic change, but before I forget to report this observation, based upon two blown g4's, both bikes went through about a 4 to 6 week period, right before failure, of pure, sweet, powerful, smoothness. Indeed, about one week before the '13 failure, I thought at least twice during the loop that the bike was in 'that dreaded smooth but beautiful-zen mode and hope it doesn't blow up.'

Something sweet comes together on the g4 right before failure...bitter-sweet, g4 style.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.