21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 67 Old 07-28-2017, 10:44 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
Update on '13 that stopped mid loop a couple weeks ago with just over 70,500 miles...
Lucky You!.

Mine exploted with less than 4,000 miles.

And Kawasaki in Argentina says They can't do anything, not even get any parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 67 Old 07-29-2017, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by natoch View Post
Lucky You!.

Mine exploted with less than 4,000 miles.

And Kawasaki in Argentina says They can't do anything, not even get any parts.
Not under warranty? Argentina. So funny that I was asking the wife if we can move to Paraguay a couple days ago. I thought of Chile but not sure of their politics.

Why no parts? Something reeks here.

Request all details on your situation: everything regarding events leading up to failure, age of bike, what happened, etc., when you have a moment. thx

Last edited by scout; 07-29-2017 at 06:36 PM.
post #43 of 67 Old 07-31-2017, 03:48 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Not under warranty? Argentina. So funny that I was asking the wife if we can move to Paraguay a couple days ago. I thought of Chile but not sure of their politics.

Why no parts? Something reeks here.

Request all details on your situation: everything regarding events leading up to failure, age of bike, what happened, etc., when you have a moment. thx
Well … This won’t be easy, too many technical words for my english. But I’ll give my best.
I think I shall begin with starting condition:
1-First free practice of the day, track day at Rosamonte (local track). Engine wreck happens in fifth lap.
2-Motul 5100 oil, barely 100miles from change.
3-Factory transmision (17-39); this track needs 16-42 or 16-43.
4-Street tires. I was not ridding for a while, so I thought in a smooth practice.
5- As always, I checked my bike at home before loading it into my truck. Fluids, torque, etc.
I turned It on for a few minutes, also.
6-At boxes I turned It on again, while installing wheel heaters, GoPro camera and Solo laptimer, just to warm engine up.
7- This bike was “ablandada” (I don’t know how you name first running period) as Kawasaki recomend: 500 miles under 3000rpm and next 500miles under 6000rpm.
8- Kawasaki ZX10R 2013. I Bought It new on may, 2013.

What had happened?
In acceleration process (almost reaching breaking mark), in 4th gear (remember I was using a very long transmission for this track) I felt a loud “crack” and engine’s sound changed. I pulled clutch for a while, and after a few seconds I turned engine off (It keeped running).
Stopped in safe area, and waited for people to pick me up.
Oil was every where, premonition were worst, and shit happened. Connecting rod of right cylinder came out to say “hi”.
People in boxes told me that one lap before engine’s wreck, my bike was leaving too much smoke while riding throught principal straight of track.
After motor was opened we can say for sure:
1-Bushing’s teeth are not broken. They are perfect, althought bushings were croocked.
2-Connecting rod was bended, and broken.
3-Two valves were bended.
4-Piston flipped over and got stuck at lower part of cylinder. Luckily outside ring’s working sector.
5-Lower cranckcase was broken.
6-Crankshaft also damaged.
When I asked Kawasaki Argentina for parts needed, They said They have very few parts in stock, and delay would be over three months for parts were needed.
They were not abble to get new crankcase, either.

Looking about cause of faillure, I think connecting rod had some factory crack, that were going worse mile after mile, till it bended and then broke.
If you deeply see into damaged sector of connecting rod, You easily note a polished sector near a cracked other. Tipical appeareance of “fatiga” faillure (again, no idea how You call to “falla por fatiga”.

Well, that is It. I hope reader can understand my text. Ha Ha.

PD. I don't know why You want to live around here, but if I have to choose; I will go for Chile, no doubt on that.

Edit: Bike was OEM. No motor upgrades, no electronics either.
scout likes this.

Last edited by natoch; 07-31-2017 at 03:51 PM.

post #44 of 67 Old 07-31-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Well … This won’t be easy, too many technical words for my english. But I’ll give my best.
I think I shall begin with starting condition:
1-First free practice of the day, track day at Rosamonte (local track). Engine wreck happens in fifth lap.
2-Motul 5100 oil, barely 100miles from change.
3-Factory transmision (17-39); this track needs 16-42 or 16-43.
4-Street tires. I was not ridding for a while, so I thought in a smooth practice.
5- As always, I checked my bike at home before loading it into my truck. Fluids, torque, etc.
I turned It on for a few minutes, also.
6-At boxes I turned It on again, while installing wheel heaters, GoPro camera and Solo laptimer, just to warm engine up.
7- This bike was “ablandada” (I don’t know how you name first running period) as Kawasaki recomend: 500 miles under 3000rpm and next 500miles under 6000rpm.
8- Kawasaki ZX10R 2013. I Bought It new on may, 2013.

What had happened?
In acceleration process (almost reaching breaking mark), in 4th gear (remember I was using a very long transmission for this track) I felt a loud “crack” and engine’s sound changed. I pulled clutch for a while, and after a few seconds I turned engine off (It keeped running).
Stopped in safe area, and waited for people to pick me up.
Oil was every where, premonition were worst, and shit happened. Connecting rod of right cylinder came out to say “hi”.
People in boxes told me that one lap before engine’s wreck, my bike was leaving too much smoke while riding throught principal straight of track.
After motor was opened we can say for sure:
1-Bushing’s teeth are not broken. They are perfect, althought bushings were croocked.
2-Connecting rod was bended, and broken.
3-Two valves were bended.
4-Piston flipped over and got stuck at lower part of cylinder. Luckily outside ring’s working sector.
5-Lower cranckcase was broken.
6-Crankshaft also damaged.
When I asked Kawasaki Argentina for parts needed, They said They have very few parts in stock, and delay would be over three months for parts were needed.
They were not abble to get new crankcase, either.

Looking about cause of faillure, I think connecting rod had some factory crack, that were going worse mile after mile, till it bended and then broke.
If you deeply see into damaged sector of connecting rod, You easily note a polished sector near a cracked other. Tipical appeareance of “fatiga” faillure (again, no idea how You call to “falla por fatiga”.

Well, that is It. I hope reader can understand my text. Ha Ha.

PD. I don't know why You want to live around here, but if I have to choose; I will go for Chile, no doubt on that.

Edit: Bike was OEM. No motor upgrades, no electronics either.
Ok, although the bike was new with almost zero miles, you had NO warranty as over the one year date of purchase? If so, somewhat same happened to my 2011 10r that I bought new around April, 2014. That bike blew up in May, 2014 just at 50,000 miles.

No extended warranty. But I liked the bike so much and all the other manufacturers of supers were way heavier, bought the '13 in Sept, 2014, but added the extended warranty.

What's odd is that Kawa is stumbling on the parts. I have NOT heard anything back from the dealer about the bike and it's been exactly two months; I never push techs as I know how cranky they are. But if I get this bike back running I'll let you know.

The idea of have sunshine somewhat even throughout the year I like. Summer here and the sun is up at twilight level around 5 am. So love that, but hate the winters here when the sun twilight is up at around 7am.

Chili, love the country and thx for the tip.

I trust kawa will ship you the parts. Kawa told my dealer to take photos of all parts needed, sent photos with parts request. Warranty covers the tech labor WHICH is the big part as techs have a huge safety protocol flowchart.

Like I said, here we have a bunch of techs that will do total rebuilds with an up front fee and never look at the freakin clock. Old timers. ofc, may not be same there. Hope so. For me it would be PIA to rebuild this 10r

Last edited by scout; 07-31-2017 at 06:19 PM.
post #45 of 67 Old 07-31-2017, 06:35 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Yes, bike has no warranty. I never told Them not to get paid.

I comlaint that They do not get parts to repair my bike, and They do not care a shit about solving client's problem.

I solved It buying needed parts in partzilla.com; paying with paypal and sending Them to Paraguay.

But I can not get crankcase that way, and Kawasaki does not care about It.
post #46 of 67 Old 07-31-2017, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Yes, bike has no warranty. I never told Them not to get paid.

I comlaint that They do not get parts to repair my bike, and They do not care a shit about solving client's problem.

I solved It buying needed parts in partzilla.com; paying with paypal and sending Them to Paraguay.

But I can not get crankcase that way, and Kawasaki does not care about It.
Check ebay for a g4 case.

Two things negative the 10r taught me: always buy extended warranty and always by AAA, road tow guys.

On the other hand, once i bought the 5 year extended warranty, once the bike blew up, can't simply buy a new bike as the wife throws a road block on me with the VERY good reason 'that I have the extended warranty!'

Just buy two bikes at same time next time around if I can afford it.

Good luck on Kawa. Talk to them direct.
natoch likes this.
post #47 of 67 Old 08-01-2017, 10:20 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Check ebay for a g4 case.

I really wish It would be that easy. Ha Ha.

I found case available in some websites, but I can not buy them directly.

I need Kawasaki Argentina to bill me that case, because of registration issues.

And that is my problem.

Anyway, bike is running again since a couple of weeks ago.

Upper case (where registration numbers are impressed) had no damage, and I bought lower case on ebay. Luckily They perfectly match.

But Kawasaki Argentina did not help at all.

Edit: Extended warranty is not available here. It never was
post #48 of 67 Old 08-01-2017, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
I really wish It would be that easy. Ha Ha.

I found case available in some websites, but I can not buy them directly.

I need Kawasaki Argentina to bill me that case, because of registration issues.

And that is my problem.

Anyway, bike is running again since a couple of weeks ago.

Upper case (where registration numbers are impressed) had no damage, and I bought lower case on ebay. Luckily They perfectly match.

But Kawasaki Argentina did not help at all.

Edit: Extended warranty is not available here. It never was
The only reason why Kawa would not offer extended to your market area that I can think of is that average rider rides a TON OF MILES! Kawa would lose money. Here, American, statistically, do not ride, so fly warranty as a psyche job.

Catch 22 situation for you part of the world. You guy probably have great riders, my guess, one of the top ten best in the world, but no respect from the best motor corps! Just a guess.

I trust your bike will run well and ride smart!
post #49 of 67 Old 08-02-2017, 07:24 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
I think It is easier than that:
1-Very small market, in a very large territory.
2-Taxes too high.
3-Not Official dealer in country, just official importer (ONE official importer for all country).
4-Official importer does not care about after sales service.

Enough to remove extended warranty, doesn't It?.

Remember USA is the largest market in the whole world after China. They NEED to sale to You. Ha Ha.
post #50 of 67 Old 08-02-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
I think It is easier than that:
1-Very small market, in a very large territory.
2-Taxes too high.
3-Not Official dealer in country, just official importer (ONE official importer for all country).
4-Official importer does not care about after sales service.

Enough to remove extended warranty, doesn't It?.

Remember USA is the largest market in the whole world after China. They NEED to sale to You. Ha Ha.
OK, guessed right. Kawa can't make anything in your country. Does any super bike builder have a dealer there? I would go Yuck r1 if that was the only dealer. Bottom line is that builder must be in position to back their bike.

pia, for sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.