Gen 4: 2011-2015 70,500 miles engine blown - Page 4 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 64 Old 07-11-2017, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Fang View Post
yeah of course the more power put into the power train over time, the sooner shit wears out. all parts have a service life based on stress. am sure I will never get close to 70,000 miles on mine but who knows, I got the five-year.

electronics are more likely to fail than engine parts anyway lol
Not in five years, I hope. You have a point between early and late g4's. For certain my second g4 stood up longer than the first g4 (2013-2011, respectively). '13 ran exactly 20k miles longer, on the same loop BUT the '13 did have more slab miles added, about 60 slab miles more; however, the '13 fork seals were solid up to engine failure of 70k, but the '11 fork seals failed early; can't remember exact mileage number at failure but that engine went at 50k miles and I rode it with leaky seals for many miles as handling was not off.

ok, Kawa must have several reports of engine probs with the g4's; only reason they went to the heavy g5. G5, I suspect, must be better for US market that rides a lot. Best guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 64 Old 07-11-2017, 08:41 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

It's heavier because of stricter emissions.

Did you have the valves adjusted at the proper intervals and any of the other scheduled maintenance?
post #33 of 64 Old 07-14-2017, 06:39 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
Not in five years, I hope. You have a point between early and late g4's. For certain my second g4 stood up longer than the first g4 (2013-2011, respectively). '13 ran exactly 20k miles longer, on the same loop BUT the '13 did have more slab miles added, about 60 slab miles more; however, the '13 fork seals were solid up to engine failure of 70k, but the '11 fork seals failed early; can't remember exact mileage number at failure but that engine went at 50k miles and I rode it with leaky seals for many miles as handling was not off.

ok, Kawa must have several reports of engine probs with the g4's; only reason they went to the heavy g5. G5, I suspect, must be better for US market that rides a lot. Best guess.
lol I doubt seriously Kawi sees bikes after five years with 70,000 miles. So you are an outlier for sure. But covered under warranty! So they know a few riders will get to a wear point that something fails but so few that it is cost-effective. Bikes are built very light figuring 50,000 miles or so with no problems is a good distance. Heavier bikes last longer but we don't buy supers as daily commuters for the vast majority. Ninja 1000 or Z900, yes.
scout likes this.

Sturm und Drang

post #34 of 64 Old 07-14-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterd10r View Post
Damn Scout!you might now have to create conversation at home to take your mind off your 2 wheel therapy!I suggest to get on peddle power to save the headf.ck
you're close, I jog on the back with the four legged child. He really does like jogging. Every morning. And do the other routine with him. Thank God for a good dog!
post #35 of 64 Old 07-14-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dricked View Post
It's heavier because of stricter emissions.

Did you have the valves adjusted at the proper intervals and any of the other scheduled maintenance?
All good. Bikes with serious riders in CA run everyday year around. No comparison with your area or track bikes.
post #36 of 64 Old 07-14-2017, 09:42 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
All good. Bikes with serious riders in CA run everyday year around. No comparison with your area or track bikes.
whut?

I just asked if you did the proper services i.e. valve adjustments when they were suppose to be done.

Last edited by dricked; 07-15-2017 at 09:52 AM.
post #37 of 64 Old 07-15-2017, 02:59 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Quote:
whut?

I just asked if you did the proper services i.e. valve adjustments when they were suppose to be done.
omg this place
scout likes this.

More cowbell
post #38 of 64 Old 07-15-2017, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
whut?

all good!
post #39 of 64 Old 07-16-2017, 07:36 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Proper service, does this include oil and filter changes???
jr0065 likes this.
post #40 of 64 Old 07-16-2017, 10:22 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Lets say you go in to buy your new bike. You do all the paperwork, and pay for the machine.

Just before you ride away, the salesman brings out a contract. You read it.

It is a guarantee that your bike will reach 70,500 miles, almost trouble free...however, at 70,501mi, it will let go in a big way. You still have to maintain it, and do the two or three valve checks needed, but the bike will see 70.500, guaranteed.

Or, you can refuse to sign, and the bike will last as long as it is going to..basically, the same deal we all get.

Would you take the deal?

I think I would.
scout likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.