Gen 5: 2016 -> 2016 ZX10r shifting issues - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 06-28-2017, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

2016 ZX10r shifting issues

Noticed an issue over the last few hundred miles, essentially 3/4 WOT or up trying to shift from 1st to 2nd gear using the QS for whatever reason between 6k-8k RPM the shifter won't move at all. Imagine trying to shift up from 6th gear (like it won't budge) if i continue to hold the throttle open pass this point and don't roll off once it hits 10k it will shift with no issues at all. And if i just hold off shifting earlier and shift after 9K-ish RPM it will shift no issues.

Bike hasn't been tuned and has a 3/4 arrow system on. I've tried moving the shifter around height wise but the issue is still there...any thoughts???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 06-28-2017, 07:38 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I have a similar issue, stock exhaut, flashed & tuned. going WOT in first, it won't let me into second gear when I'm around 10-11K RPM.
Someone more tech savvy could probably help us with this issue.
post #3 of 39 Old 06-28-2017, 09:11 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Perhaps someone with more knowledge can confirm/correct me but I was told to not use qs for 1-2 as the gear ratio is very different and it puts stress on box. 2-3 3-4 etc are close ratio and it's easier to shift. I'd use clutch 1-2 then row the gears with qs

More cowbell

post #4 of 39 Old 06-28-2017, 09:18 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1000 View Post
Perhaps someone with more knowledge can confirm/correct me but I was told to not use qs for 1-2 as the gear ratio is very different and it puts stress on box. 2-3 3-4 etc are close ratio and it's easier to shift. I'd use clutch 1-2 then row the gears with qs
Same here.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
post #5 of 39 Old 06-28-2017, 11:45 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I use the QS from 1-2. Had no issues on my last bike after 3 race seasons and so far so good on the gen 5.
post #6 of 39 Old 06-28-2017, 01:04 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Are you preloading the shifter ? I know I had that habit with my triumph qs.
post #7 of 39 Old 06-28-2017, 01:47 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1000 View Post
That's my recommendation also! I've rebuilt enough transmissions in my day to worry about the 1-2 shift going through neutral to not use the QS at that time. Especially on a road bike. Dricked and his racing experience says otherwise, and that's cool. Racing is a different animal than using the QS on some trackdays and the road. Gears 2 thru 6 only and no preloading it either!
turtle1000 likes this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #8 of 39 Old 06-28-2017, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcrusader View Post
Are you preloading the shifter ? I know I had that habit with my triumph qs.
No, I've made sure my foot is well clear and make sure I give it a good positive kick as I've had issue with accidentally preloading before
post #9 of 39 Old 08-02-2017, 04:43 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I don't see how preloading the shifter would cause any problem and I think it's a good habit of getting into as long as you don't apply too much force to trigger the sensor.

The more important thing is we don't actually have an answer to the OP's question. Why would the bike not shift at that RPM range, anything in the manual? I doubt this problem would occur with an aftermarket sensor.
post #10 of 39 Old 08-02-2017, 05:18 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krankasaki View Post
I don't see how preloading the shifter would cause any problem and I think it's a good habit of getting into as long as you don't apply too much force to trigger the sensor.

The more important thing is we don't actually have an answer to the OP's question. Why would the bike not shift at that RPM range, anything in the manual? I doubt this problem would occur with an aftermarket sensor.
I disagree, of course. Preloading the shifter is NOT good habit. It's bad habit. You've obviously never torn into a sequential gear transmission to understand how they work.

The constant mess gear pairs slide along a bar and engage each other on the side. In order to do that, a shift fork moves them. The gears are always spinning, but the shift forks do not. Preloading the gear shift linkage causes the stationary shift fork to sit against the spinning gear pairs. If you don't think that will prematurely cause the shift forks to heat up, bend, and wear out, you're wrong. And doing that with a quickshifter in the loop can cause the switch to be tripped, interrupt the ignition, and all without the proper force on the shift linkage to begin with. In race conditions, with an engine teardown and rebuild every race or so or when crucial milliseconds are measured, it might gain you something. For all other people, preloading the shifter just causes you to post threads on here asking other people why your shit don't shift right.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.