Gen 5: 2016 -> 2016 ZX10r shifting issues - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 38 Old 08-03-2017, 07:39 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
I disagree, of course. Preloading the shifter is NOT good habit. It's bad habit. You've obviously never torn into a sequential gear transmission to understand how they work.

The constant mess gear pairs slide along a bar and engage each other on the side. In order to do that, a shift fork moves them. The gears are always spinning, but the shift forks do not. Preloading the gear shift linkage causes the stationary shift fork to sit against the spinning gear pairs. If you don't think that will prematurely cause the shift forks to heat up, bend, and wear out, you're wrong. And doing that with a quickshifter in the loop can cause the switch to be tripped, interrupt the ignition, and all without the proper force on the shift linkage to begin with. In race conditions, with an engine teardown and rebuild every race or so or when crucial milliseconds are measured, it might gain you something. For all other people, preloading the shifter just causes you to post threads on here asking other people why your shit don't shift right.

I'm not going to pretend I know as much as you do because I know I don't. The only reason I initially thought that preloading the shifter is a good idea is because it makes clutchless upshifts smoother and improves their success rate (compared to botched shifts). Points taken though and thanks for the comprehensive breakdown.

If I intend on tracking a bike or racing it then I would certainly invest in an aftermarket shift star like the Factory Pro. I believe it makes for a cleaner mechanism and reduces the overall wear and tear.
Ben75 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 Old 08-03-2017, 10:48 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

No need to preload with a QS, you're risking engaging the sensor and or it not working when you go to shift. Just push/pull on the shifter and bang through the gears.

After two seasons on my bike the transmission/clutch were absolutely fine with no abnormal wear and no parts were replaced. I replaced the clutch in the third season just because.
trackaddict, Krankasaki and Ben75 like this.
post #13 of 38 Old 09-11-2017, 07:22 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
I disagree, of course. Preloading the shifter is NOT good habit. It's bad habit. You've obviously never torn into a sequential gear transmission to understand how they work.

The constant mess gear pairs slide along a bar and engage each other on the side. In order to do that, a shift fork moves them. The gears are always spinning, but the shift forks do not. Preloading the gear shift linkage causes the stationary shift fork to sit against the spinning gear pairs. If you don't think that will prematurely cause the shift forks to heat up, bend, and wear out, you're wrong. And doing that with a quickshifter in the loop can cause the switch to be tripped, interrupt the ignition, and all without the proper force on the shift linkage to begin with. In race conditions, with an engine teardown and rebuild every race or so or when crucial milliseconds are measured, it might gain you something. For all other people, preloading the shifter just causes you to post threads on here asking other people why your shit don't shift right.
+1. Also agree with not using the QS between 1 & 2. Too much of an rpm difference and too much torque to screw things up.

post #14 of 38 Old 09-24-2017, 12:51 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I'm only experiencing this when I do a half ass shift.
post #15 of 38 Old 09-24-2017, 10:11 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

lots of issues with the gen5, in the trans department.
heard that from a respectable mechanic that does a not of race engines.
post #16 of 38 Old 09-24-2017, 11:12 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
How many miles you got on it? I'm at 27,000km so far with no gearbox issues. I have however experienced problems when I had the QS ignition kill times screwed up by confusing one timing setting with another. This would cause the shifter to cut and reignite before the shift actually happened, sticking it in the same gear even though it blipped, would get a big jolt doing it and nearly throw me off the bike.

Is it possibly the sensor or ecu has freaked out and for some reason the QS thinks you're in 6th gear, so it's not compressing, stopping you from shifting up?
Ben75 likes this.

2016 - ZX-10R KRT Winter Edition
https://www.instagram.com/superbike.turtle/
post #17 of 38 Old 09-24-2017, 11:21 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Gents, I too had this issue with my gen 5, when changing from 3rd to 4th under heavy acceleration the QS wouldn't cut the ignition, and i wasn't able to go into 4th... this happens around 8k i think....

I thought it might have been the QS, so I had the Woolich QS installed and the Woolich tune flash the ECU.

Unfortunately I still have this issue from time to time... I've learnt to live with it.

Last edited by Ben75; 09-25-2017 at 01:00 AM.
post #18 of 38 Old 09-25-2017, 12:10 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp12 View Post
lots of issues with the gen5, in the trans department.

heard that from a respectable mechanic that does a not of race engines.

Race bikes take a lot more abuse than street bikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #19 of 38 Old 09-25-2017, 09:43 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

OEM REARSETS?? They are sort of loose
post #20 of 38 Old 09-27-2017, 01:48 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Have u adjusted the position/angle of your shift lever? Try to lower it abit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.