Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

2016 Superstock Build (WERA Legal)

Gen 5: 2016-20 
75K views 293 replies 37 participants last post by  piresito 
#1 · (Edited)
2016 Superbike Story

Literally I bought this bike on a dare. Last Sunday a friend of mine was ragging on me for still playing with my 2009 Yamaha R1. I've got basically every suspension upgrade you can think of and the motor is currently at KWS Motorsports getting some love. He made a good point that this bike will never truly match up with the current liter bikes and that I should stop spending so much time trying to make it on par with bikes like the ZX10R, S1000RR or the current R1. So I dared him to find me a TRACK READY bike (specifically a 2016 ZX10R or newer) for $10,000. I figured there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell he'd find one. 10 minutes later I get a text with a link to this bike. $10,950 OBO for a bike with 2094 miles... Stuned that he was able to find one, I grudgingly offered $10,500 then the owner countered with $10,700 + a new set of Pirelli SC1 slicks and the deal was set. The whole transaction took less than 24hrs to complete. That's the LAST time I dare him on anything!

Here's the R1 I currently ride:

So this might not be that interesting to some but I wanted to start a thread to capture all the data from this new adventure I'm about to embark on. First things first, the bike is mostly setup already. I purchased a '16 Gen5 that was used for in CCS club racing since it rolled off the showroom floor. It was also used at the Daytona 200 at least once and the owner won his class (Formula 40 I believe). The bike was completely setup and maintained by TSE up in Wisconson.

Track Side Suspension Engineering Trackside Suspension & Engineering | Motorcycle Suspension For You did some prototype custom valving to the SHOWA forks which I'll get into detail on later. They also installed a K-Teck DDS Pro rear shock. That's about it for suspension actually, but I can't think of a better way to enter a superstock class for less money vs performance. I guess maybe full Ohlins carts/rear shock would be the top tier but you don't necessarily need that level of performance if you (the pilot) needs more improving than the bike.

For power, the trend of simple/economical parts continues. There's a Hindle slipon with a decat pipe and a flashed ECU. Done...the shift pattern was switched to GP during the flash as well but the blipper function wasn't activated (which I find odd actually).

Woodcraft is the other major vendor to get some love with all the protection goodies and egro's coming from their catolog. Rearsets, clipons, lever guards, case protectors, frame sliders, axle sliders and rear spools are all installed.

So, I'll be picking the bike up on Friday and start going through it to get familiar with the Kawasaki way of doing things. Plans for the future include A LOT of kit parts and as much weight loss as I can make happen. Let see where this goes!

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm really interested to see what (any) electronics feel like. My R1 has zero rider aids if you don't count the QS and slipper clutch hahaha! From what I've read the Gen5 really is a significant stepping stone vs the Gen4. I remember when the 2011-15 ZX10R was considered one of the top 2 liter bikes on the market next to the BMW but there was an less than refined nature about it that most people had issues with regrading the electronics. Then the 2015 R1 was released and made a huge step forward in what we now consider the standard for all liter-bikes.

All in all, I'm glad I waited to get a bike with rider aids. It has allowed the first versions of all the bikes to have time with the customers and the manufacturers have made improvements. As a track only rider, I don't care about all the street stuff with these bikes, so my focus is just with outright performance and factory support. Right now no one supports the racing community better than Kawasaki and this was a huge reason for my switch from Yamaha.

#6 ·
Ya, I noticed that - wondering why the heck those forks are so high in the triple. Odd.

GL with the new bike OP, they can scoot (not something I'm taking much advantage of yet, but starting to LOL).

Reactions: Neonmarine
#12 ·

Got a rear tire, a pitbull front stand and some crash parts!

#14 ·
Crazy deal you snagged there. I see that you were at Jennings with your R1, are you racing WERA southeast? And def get your stuff looked at by Mike, I've never seen the forks jacked up like that on any ZX10 in the paddock ever. On my K-tech 20DDS cartridges they add an extra 5-10mm of travel over stock (can't remember exactly) and we're running 510mm of fork height from the top of the lower triple clamp to the center of the axle (triple is flush with the fork caps). On the rear the ktech shock is 314mm plus the stock spacer.

#15 ·
Yes I've competed at a couple WERA events in 2016. Figured out that I wasn't fast enough to fight for the podium, so I took last year off the improve my riding. I thought about entering the 2018 season, however I think I'll keep going to trackdays and achieve some lap time goals at Road Atlanta, Jennings and Roabling before entering again.

Mike has worked on my Ohlins forks that the R1 uses and I loved the results. The K-tech shock is basically as short as it can be right now. I'm pulling the forks/shock so Mike can swap springs this weekend. I'll get him to set the length and we'll go from there.

Thanks for sharing those number by the way, I know racers tend to be tight-lipped about suspension setups. Much appreciated!

#18 ·
Not sure but I think it’s Lacomoto? Haven’t seen tags or anything.

#20 ·
Nothing, but looking at other bodywork it’s good stuff. Kevlar reinforcement in all the right places etc, etc.

#21 ·

The paint is incredible on this thing. Got some graphics on the way, hopefully the colors work with my suit, helmet, etc.

#26 ·
I'm also coming from the last gen cross plane r1 to a '16 zx10r. Did quite a few track days and a little racing on my 2012 r1 and although I loved it the thing always felt like a bit of a pig. Thought for sure I would get '15+ R1 but the prices/features made me jump the ninja. I haven't spent much time on the 10r yet but can already tell it's so much better than the 2012 R1.

I was an idiot though and bought the 10r brand new and have to do all the upgrades myself. I just feel weird riding used bikes but damn it hurts the wallet. Bike is at Farrell's right now getting the rake angle brought in and swing arm pivot changed.

Good luck to you this season!

#28 ·
Thanks! I've taken it up the street a couple miles and without giving it any sort of serious throttle I can immediately tell there's a vast difference in how this bike wants to be riden. Even the way it want to be turned ins very different and I honestly really like what it's starting to tell me.

I feel much more physically connected to the bike vs the old R1. The seat is more cramped but it keeps me locked in and there's a perfect amount of room to do what I need but not too much that I feel like a kitten on the curtain!

Did your bike come with the reversible swing-arm pivot inserts?
Yes and as soon as I get the special tool, I'll flip it for a +4mm increase in rear ride height (which should also reduce trail by about 1mm).

#29 ·
https://hustlehardracing.com/shop/ My sponsor hooked me up with some top of line brake pads to keep this monster from getting away from me on the Road Atlanta back straight! The RJL-ZZ compound pads are the latest Superbike pad from Versah and are made with liter bikes in mind. I'll see what their all about on May 5th. I've gone through a few sets of the older RJL and have a set SJRL-XX pads for my R1. They really know how to make each compound have a specific character and that's why I like them over other manufacturers.

#31 ·

Almost ready, finished up the logos after class tonight. Gotta get the Spiegler Rennsport hooked up and delete the ABS in the process.

Road Atlanta shakedown on May 5th.

#33 ·
Since the actual removal of the entire ABS system will throw some codes, I'll be doing a re-plumbing of the brake lines from the master cylinder to the calibers. I'll need the non-ABS lines when I do the kit ECU swap so it's not a big deal to invest in a full set of aftermarket lines at this point.

From the out side of the bike, you will still see the ABS pump on the left side but it will not be physically connected to the braking system in any way, shape or form.

I'm using Speigler Rennsport lines if anyone is curious.

#34 · (Edited)
Completed the shakedown today at Road Atlanta. First impressions:

1) Acceleration is what makes this bike work. I’ve never felt some thing that pulls like this thing. And it’s a stock motor with only a Hindle slipon/decat and a Woolrich tune for U4.4 by Michael Godin at KWS. Pulled a front wheel for 100m on the back straight in 4th gear. Insanely smooth wheelie control (KTCS 3).

2) Brakes are amazing! M50’s with ABS delete and Versah pads make stopping this machine a breeze. Lifted the rear wheel multiple times and the chassis never twitched.

3) I need to do nothing more at this point. There’s so much to learn at the level it’s currently at. The chassis is smooth and predictable but slow to transition and doesn’t like to make adjustments midcorner. I didn’t make the swingarm pivot insert change due to time constraints but that’s my next move

All in all, I’m impressed with everything about the bike EXCEPT it’s turning, but that’s easily fixed. The electronics are baby butt smooth, the TC intervention was barely noticed. I understand now why this platform is so successful!

#36 ·
Thanks! I'm still pinching myself, can believe I would ever own something like this.

I'm really interested to hear what you have to say about the geometry changes. I'll be doing the swingarm insert flip no matter what but listening to another experienced voice is always good.

#38 ·
Yeah I'd do the flip since it's free why not. I meant more so on the rake angle change as from what I've gathered that's a key change.

I'm testing on stock suspension though not the badass stuff you have. That will come after this season.

Love Road Atlanta, had my first motorcycle crash in the last corner there but still a great couple of track days. I gotta ask why the U4.4 and how much does that run a can?

#37 ·

New suit arrived today, so I had to rock my "Yamaha" leathers...:)

#39 ·
That last corner isn't easy to get right but very easy to get wrong! I ran wide there Saturday and though for a moment I was going to visit the gravel trap...

U4.4 is what came tuned with the bike and I got a full, unopened can with what was already in the tank. I don't mind spending the $90 per 5 gallons, because 1) I know what I'm putting in the bike 2) it's how I intend to race it so I'll stick with it for continuities sake and finally I want to treat my baby right. This is a the best automotive vehicle I've ever owned and I want to make sure I keep it running right. Fuel is a big part of that, and I think the extra few bucks per gallon is worth the peace of mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.