Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R engine noise at low rpm

Gen 5: 2016-20 
17K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Pharez 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

Hope you guys have fun on the road.

I'm here to ask for some help..... please.........

I don't know how to attach video here, so I posted on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3xIeK5pHX0

Dose anybody know what this noise is? Is this tthe CCT noise? It's really annoying when I sit on my bike.

It's from my 2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS, I bought it this March and I only have had less than 700 km on it with normal break in.

I am very sure this noise is from somewhere between the oil tank and the top of engine. A you can hear, it occurs at low rpm (about from idling to 3000 rpm, maybe because engine sound is too loud over 4000 rpm). In this video, I was not shooting my bike, I just put the microphone towards the engine.

By the way, I just went to dealer last Saturday for checking this problem. However, after 1 hour ride there and when I start my bike there to let them hear, the noise was just gone :frown2:.... Then of course dealer said everything is OK.....

Please let me know what is the issue... Thank you sooo much...

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the party!

I didn't watch the video, but from the description and other threads on the issue, it's the cam chain tensioner.

Noise at idle - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

EDIT: Just watched the video. Definitely the cam chain tensioner.

#3 ·
I have a 2016 as well. I've been dealing with intermittent cct noise since about 550 miles. I've got about 2300 miles on her and here is my experience. Ticking from cam chain gets louder and louder then goes away (assuming this is when automatic tensioner decides to finally click out a notch) engine sounds better for a bit then the noise returns and gets more annoying until the next click of the cct. Bike basically has sounded somewhat like a diesel since around 550 when I first started noticing the noise. I'm getting used to it at this point and I figure if I have the dealer replace the cct I'll just go through the crap again once the chain stretches. Hoping that at some point soon the chain will settle a bit and I can use the method on the forum of backing the cct out slightly to get it to click once and I can be done with the sound for a while. Enjoy your new bike, it's a wonderful machine.

#9 ·
Yeah you are right, the noise is just gone today.... I guess it will be back soon, LOL..... I was told there is a kind of updated CCT, do you know about that? Can we ask that from dealer?

You said there is method to back the CCT? Could you send me the link, please?

Thanks.

#8 ·
Yeah you are right, the noise is just gone today.... I guess it will be back soon, LOL..... I was told there is a kind of updated CCT, do you know about that? Can we ask that from dealer?

You said there is method to back the CCT? Could you send me the link, please?

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.