2014 ZX10r - 2016 Engine Swap - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-30-2017, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Question 2014 ZX10r - 2016 Engine Swap

Hi All,

Figured I'd start a new thread so as to not hijack someone else's post.

I have a 2014 ZX10R, which has done 43,000 kilometers and the bottom end bearing appears to have let go. It might be a valve and piston issue, not 100% sure as I haven't taken the head off just yet.

The bike has been used for track, strip and street riding and was serviced regularly with oil changes in between services.

A mate recently highsided a 2016 zx10r, all the panels and frame is totaled but the engine, trans, loom & ignition is in-tact. The bike has been run since the accident and all appears to be ok.

I am planning on stripping the 16 down to the motor, placing the 2014 frame on it and building it up from that. Essentially only keeping the 2014 frame,swing arm, wheels and forks.

Happy to hear any advice / feedback from other people who have attempted this in the past.

Thanks in advance.

Video of my 2014 running
https://youtu.be/hjHr8AfBw5o
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1507101096337.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	406265   Click image for larger version

Name:	received_10155209092451848.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	406273   Click image for larger version

Name:	received_10155209092446848.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	406281   Click image for larger version

Name:	received_10155209092316848.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	406289   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1507101111682.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	350.3 KB
ID:	406297  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1507101105088.jpg
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	406305   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171001_161640.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	406313   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171001_155711.jpg
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	406321   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171001_155659.jpg
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	406329   Click image for larger version

Name:	received_10155574720005149.jpg
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	406337  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-31-2017, 08:04 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
That poor bike

2013 10R
2007 650R
2016 10R
post #3 of 12 Old 10-31-2017, 12:37 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I think the frame might be same or similar. Gen4 swing arm is shorter and is not as good as Gen5. Gen4 shock linkage sucks. Gen5 electronics will have to follow the engine. Fuel tanks are the same but not fuel pumps. Air boxes are different.

Otherwise, that Gen5 doesn't look too bad. Short sell that beater Gen4 and rebuild that Gen5 proper. It's a much better platform all around.
Maxi - Australia likes this.

post #4 of 12 Old 10-31-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Cheers Lanister,

As far as I'm aware the frames of 14 & 16 models are identical, so the 16 engine will bolt up to the 15 frame.
If the 16 arm is better I can always sell mine and buy a used 16 arm online.

I'm planning on harvesting the motor, complete loom and ignition from the 16 so that should all be fine.
In essence it will be a 2014 with 2016 running gear :D

Thank you for the tip regarding the fuel pump, I'll be sure to place the 16 pump on my 14 tank.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-01-2017, 09:31 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Gen 5 frame has changes to the front bracing and headstock has collar inserts so you don't need aftermarket triple tree to adjust offset.

Gen 5 will bolt to Gen 4 as the mounting bolts and sections haven't changed.

You'll need to take the wireharness, ecu and other electronic boxes plus throttle bodies and quickshifter for it to work as well as the dash.

fuel pumps will bolt up difference on Gen 5 is replaceable filter.

Gen 5 shock linkage is similar to Gen 4 linear linkage think MSS.

Gen 5 swingarm will bolt to gen 4 frame also, difference being they changed the rigidity profile on Gen 5 with the extra bracing on the chain side.

Can also do the Gen 5 tail conversion if your keen, just need the Gen 5 subframe rear and few other bits.
Lanister and Maxi - Australia like this.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-01-2017, 03:06 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBZ10R View Post
Gen 5 frame has changes to the front bracing and headstock has collar inserts so you don't need aftermarket triple tree to adjust offset.

You'll need to take the wireharness, ecu and other electronic boxes plus throttle bodies and quickshifter for it to work as well as the dash.

Gen 5 swingarm will bolt to gen 4 frame also, difference being they changed the rigidity profile on Gen 5 with the extra bracing on the chain side.

Can also do the Gen 5 tail conversion if your keen, just need the Gen 5 subframe rear and few other bits.
Definitely get Gen5 swing arm, linkage and shock. Gen5 front end is also better if you can port that over.

Basically, once you look at it all, all you need to do is get your Gen4 frame into the Gen5 remains and you'll have a nice Gen5.
Maxi - Australia likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-01-2017, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanister View Post
Definitely get Gen5 swing arm, linkage and shock. Gen5 front end is also better if you can port that over.

Basically, once you look at it all, all you need to do is get your Gen4 frame into the Gen5 remains and you'll have a nice Gen5.
Thanks Lanister.

The swingarm on this 16 has a hole in it but I will try and source one from a wrecker. The linkage and shock should be salvageable so I will bring those across.

The front end I am unsure of the condition as I haven't picked the bike up yet (still waiting on my mates insurance). Last time i saw this bike was at the site of the crash a few weeks back and I recall both rims being buckled so I suspect the forks are toast aswell.

It was a very nasty highside and the bike tumbled for a solid distance.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-01-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:

Thanks heaps RBZ10R.

I didn't know about those headstock differences.
I am intending on taking the entire harness, all controls and dash so that should be fine.
I'm assuming I will have to use the ignition & key from the 16 aswell.

My gen 4 runs a standard linkage when I lower it for drags otherwise it has a bsb rear linkage (same thing as the kyle racing rear link) I'll trial both and see what works best for me.

The gen 5 tail conversion sounds interesting although I prefer the cleaniness of the gen 4 integrated indicators might give it a try depending on whether that sub frame is usable.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-01-2017, 08:48 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxi - Australia View Post
Thanks heaps RBZ10R.

I didn't know about those headstock differences.
I am intending on taking the entire harness, all controls and dash so that should be fine.
I'm assuming I will have to use the ignition & key from the 16 aswell.

My gen 4 runs a standard linkage when I lower it for drags otherwise it has a bsb rear linkage (same thing as the kyle racing rear link) I'll trial both and see what works best for me.

The gen 5 tail conversion sounds interesting although I prefer the cleaniness of the gen 4 integrated indicators might give it a try depending on whether that sub frame is usable.
so you will need to use the key set from the 16 with the 16 wire-harness due to the immobiliser being coded to the new keys, if there wasn't an immobiliser then you could use either 11-15 or 16+ as long as the connectors stayed the same.

Also you'll need the 16+ throttle tube and cables.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-01-2017, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
so you will need to use the key set from the 16 with the 16 wire-harness due to the immobiliser being coded to the new keys, if there wasn't an immobiliser then you could use either 11-15 or 16+ as long as the connectors stayed the same.

Also you'll need the 16+ throttle tube and cables.
Thanks. I have a motion pro throttle on the 2014 which I would really like to retain with the conversion. I spoke to my local tuner and mechanic and he advised it shouldn't be an issue and said it will work with the 16s electronic throttle bodies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
engine, swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.