Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

2014 Speedo not working

Gen 4: 2011-15 
11K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  scout 
#1 ·
So after rebuilding my bike (plastics mainly, small spill) my speedo decided to stop working for me. It still displays temps (both engine and intake), fuel consumption and RPM's but speed stays at 0 and no miles get recorded at all. Ive pulled my hair out and my pubes are all I got left, anyone got any ideas on what it could be?

Please and thanks!

PS: Also, only had 1 FI code pop up but I accidentally shut off the bike and restarted it so I did not see the code, I do remember it showing all 3 levels of KTRC blinking tho... and its only happened once, I havent been successful in getting it to replicate

#2 ·
Sounds like there is an issue with the wheel speed sensors, I would double check the wiring to the sensor, clean of the magnet and re-install. Then go for a test drive. The KTRC flashing could also be the same issue with the wheel speed sensors. Give it a check and report back what you find.

Welcome to the forum!

#5 ·
Ok so after a quick swap (front and rear) I determined there's something faulty with the rear sensor. Wiring harness end connectors are good but the connector end on the rear sensor looks like it kinda split on pin 2... really activates my almonds..

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Is it safe to assume that speed is measured off the rear wheel speed sensor rather than the front?

#7 ·
well I cleaned up the connectors and still no dice, found one on ebay for less than 30 so im waiting on that to come in now. The thing thats confusing me tho, while the bike is on and rear wheel is spinning I still get no FI error or anything both with the sensor connected and disconnected... I wouldve thought to at least get (b 44) or something... Anyone got any idea why its not displaying anything?

Also thanks for the welcoming duhastme!

#13 ·
The traction control (maybe ABS too?) is programmed to function only above a certain speed (25kph if memory serves correctly). That being the case, I speculate that the computer shouldn't trigger an error code while spinning on the rear stand.

I've also been told that you can indirectly disable the traction control if you do an intentional standing burnout. That would tell me that the ECU is smart enough to know when the bike is on a stand and that it allows you to spin the rear while the front is stationary.

#14 ·
Oh yeah! completely forgot about that. It actually activates at 5kph/3.1 mph (1-14 in SM), Ill go ride it in a bit to see if itll pop up.

and that second part makes sense, too bad I wont try it out cause Im too broke to buy a new rear if I waste this one like that lol

#15 ·
... Can't edit till my 30 something post huh...

Anyways I just test rode it and still got no error. Got it up to about 20mph (according to gps) and got nothing.

Meh I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much until I get the new sensor installed.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Yup, sensor got killed by the exhaust pinching it (due to lay'er down). The ebay replacement works well and Im back to normal. Problem solved

Glad you got it worked out.

wont lie I kinda feel dumb but at the same time kinda surprised that the speed sensor actually died. oh well
Well I would not say the sensor died more like it got beat to death, or just down right murdered! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.