Gen 4: 2011-2015 2014 Speedo not working - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 10-19-2017, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

2014 Speedo not working

So after rebuilding my bike (plastics mainly, small spill) my speedo decided to stop working for me. It still displays temps (both engine and intake), fuel consumption and RPM's but speed stays at 0 and no miles get recorded at all. Ive pulled my hair out and my pubes are all I got left, anyone got any ideas on what it could be?

Please and thanks!

PS: Also, only had 1 FI code pop up but I accidentally shut off the bike and restarted it so I did not see the code, I do remember it showing all 3 levels of KTRC blinking tho... and its only happened once, I havent been successful in getting it to replicate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-19-2017, 08:27 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Sounds like there is an issue with the wheel speed sensors, I would double check the wiring to the sensor, clean of the magnet and re-install. Then go for a test drive. The KTRC flashing could also be the same issue with the wheel speed sensors. Give it a check and report back what you find.

Welcome to the forum!

The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-19-2017, 12:59 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Is it safe to assume that speed is measured off the rear wheel speed sensor rather than the front?

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!

post #4 of 18 Old 10-19-2017, 01:17 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschenut View Post
Is it safe to assume that speed is measured off the rear wheel speed sensor rather than the front?
Aye

2013 10R
2007 650R
2016 10R
post #5 of 18 Old 10-19-2017, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhastme View Post
Sounds like there is an issue with the wheel speed sensors, I would double check the wiring to the sensor, clean of the magnet and re-install. Then go for a test drive. The KTRC flashing could also be the same issue with the wheel speed sensors. Give it a check and report back what you find.

Welcome to the forum!
Ok so after a quick swap (front and rear) I determined there's something faulty with the rear sensor. Wiring harness end connectors are good but the connector end on the rear sensor looks like it kinda split on pin 2... really activates my almonds..

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
post #6 of 18 Old 10-19-2017, 04:32 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

clean all the conector... had a problem like that not long time ago and changed the sensor and battery
reflash the bike and its gone
post #7 of 18 Old 10-19-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

well I cleaned up the connectors and still no dice, found one on ebay for less than 30 so im waiting on that to come in now. The thing thats confusing me tho, while the bike is on and rear wheel is spinning I still get no FI error or anything both with the sensor connected and disconnected... I wouldve thought to at least get (b 44) or something... Anyone got any idea why its not displaying anything?

Also thanks for the welcoming duhastme!
post #8 of 18 Old 10-19-2017, 07:13 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

For certain it's something you did with the harness.
post #9 of 18 Old 10-19-2017, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
For certain it's something you did with the harness.
How so? I just tested the front sensor into the rears harness and it registers on the Speedo...
Man you're scaring me if I have to replace that :s

post #10 of 18 Old 10-20-2017, 08:20 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthr View Post
How so? I just tested the front sensor into the rears harness and it registers on the Speedo...
Man you're scaring me if I have to replace that :s

I would not take what scout says to heart to much.... he has a tendency for stating things completely incorrect, misconstruing things and outright being confused about what the subject matter is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthr View Post
well I cleaned up the connectors and still no dice, found one on ebay for less than 30 so im waiting on that to come in now. The thing thats confusing me tho, while the bike is on and rear wheel is spinning I still get no FI error or anything both with the sensor connected and disconnected... I wouldve thought to at least get (b 44) or something... Anyone got any idea why its not displaying anything?

Also thanks for the welcoming duhastme!
So correct me if I am wrong but you are saying that with the front wheel not spinning but the rear wheel spinning you are not getting a mph reading? If so that would be correct if your connector is contacting the sensor correctly. Basically the bike is reading no movement from the front and no movement from the rear so there are no issues. Its when you move the front wheel without any reading from the rear or vice versa there are issues with the KIBS or KRTC. Now is the connector in the image above from the wheel speed sensor? Or from the harness side?

Np for the welcome, when you have a moment make a thread introducing yourself. Makes for some good rib jabbing if not good place to see the bike.

The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.

Last edited by Duhastme; 10-20-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.