7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 01-10-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
2013 oil leak

Okay...

i have an oil drip thats getting worse. I purchased the bike used with about 4k miles and it has about 9k on it now. I originally thought that maybe it was the drain plug and the guy over tightened or under tightened it. I ordered an aftermarket replacement, cleaned the oil residue off and changed the oil and it did not fix the problem. I am having trouble figuring out where its coming from. I have cleaned the whole area multiple times and itll be fine. If the engine never warms up it wont leak, however if i take the bike out and ride for any length of time then park it over night or longer I will find a spot on the ground and then there will be oil everywhere again.

uploading a few pics.... any thoughts? suggestions? anything? doesnt actually seem to be a pan leak as far as i can tell.

thank guys!

2013 10R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-10-2017, 05:02 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Based on the pictures it appears to be above the filter and drain plug. I would suggest cleaning it all up with brake clean, then going for a quick ride then park it and stare at her for a god 10-15. Maybe the oil pan seal? any idea if someone did a valve check? Maybe the re-used the gasket and it didn't seal well?
SkyDork likes this.

Last edited by Duhastme; 01-11-2017 at 07:54 AM.
post #3 of 27 Old 01-10-2017, 05:19 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Could be the porous crankcase casting problem that was the subject of a warranty recall?

Don't know if Kawasaki are still honouring this.

post #4 of 27 Old 01-10-2017, 05:47 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wong View Post
Could be the porous crankcase casting problem that was the subject of a warranty recall?

Don't know if Kawasaki are still honouring this.
No, that was the machined area up on the right side where the starter motor is bolted on. It's a windage area when the engine is turning. And the oil would pool below the starter motor on top of the block. I wouldn't even look at that area based on the pics.

It looks from the last pic like it's leaking above everything like Duhastme said. It's running down the side of the oil pan and dripping from the lowest point. I'd suspect it's a bad water/oil pump seal. Or transmission input shaft seal. I highly doubt the oil pan seal is bad, but could be. Or you could have a crack in the oil pan. Does it only leak after the motor is turned off? Or does it constantly leak over time just sitting?

Pull both lower fairings off. Clean the area up and around the water pump really good with some brake cleaner. Then let it sit for a few days and run your finger along those areas. Make sure it's on the sidestand and not straight up and down. This will help any oil drain to the left easier. I'd also get a small wrench on the oil pan bolts and just be sure they're snugged up good and not loose.
Victors likes this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.

#WordCrimes

post #5 of 27 Old 01-10-2017, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
No, that was the machined area up on the right side where the starter motor is bolted on. It's a windage area when the engine is turning. And the oil would pool below the starter motor on top of the block. I wouldn't even look at that area based on the pics.

It looks from the last pic like it's leaking above everything like Duhastme said. It's running down the side of the oil pan and dripping from the lowest point. I'd suspect it's a bad water/oil pump seal. Or transmission input shaft seal. I highly doubt the oil pan seal is bad, but could be. Or you could have a crack in the oil pan. Does it only leak after the motor is turned off? Or does it constantly leak over time just sitting?

Pull both lower fairings off. Clean the area up and around the water pump really good with some brake cleaner. Then let it sit for a few days and run your finger along those areas. Make sure it's on the sidestand and not straight up and down. This will help any oil drain to the left easier. I'd also get a small wrench on the oil pan bolts and just be sure they're snugged up good and not loose.
If i clean it up and let ot sit it didnt seem to leak, had to be ran up to temp and rode. Didnt seem to leak while it was running and parked even at temp. But its a slow leak thats getting a little worse with time so im not 100% sure.

I snugged the pan bolts of already.

Valves havent been checked ye... wouldnt have been a reason for the original owner to have done that.

As soon as it warms up some ill get started on that.

2013 10R
post #6 of 27 Old 01-10-2017, 08:28 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

The oil plug must have a washer. you changed the oil and lost that washer.
post #7 of 27 Old 01-10-2017, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
The oil plug must have a washer. you changed the oil and lost that washer.
Dude, seriously. Go away.

Edit: not sure why you bother me so much. Nevermind the fact that you can see the damn washer in the photo... do you troll because you enjoy it or do you just give bad advice and answers to random people because you genuinely dont know any better?

2013 10R

Last edited by Victors; 01-11-2017 at 04:06 PM.
post #8 of 27 Old 01-10-2017, 09:03 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm getting ready to do some troubleshooting on mine for pretty much the same. If it sits cold, I'll get maybe one drop every other week. If it's after a ride, I'll have about two drops. Unfortunately I'm thinking I may have a small crack in the oil pan. My start path was going to be exactly what Sky suggested. Hopefully I'll get time this weekend to get some work done.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Victors likes this.
post #9 of 27 Old 01-11-2017, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I ordered an oil pump seal/gasket just to be safe. Worst case, ill have an extra. Its way too cold here to mess woth it currently :(

2013 10R
post #10 of 27 Old 01-12-2017, 03:45 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

juts take plastics off, start the bike for 15 min, clean with brake cleaner, and see where it comes from.
Victors likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.