Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

2013 71,000 miles

Gen 4: 2011-15 
6K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  White Fang 
#1 · (Edited)
I just passed 71,000 miles on 2013 g4 bought new in sept. 2014. 2 years 8 months. Bike is running strong. If weather is good I'll add 1400 miles per week and I'm not talking straight slab stuff. fyi, once in awhile I may kinda feel like a short nap on my 200 mile loop; as in, I didn't sleep well the night before and I get up at 4 am to take care of house and critters and dog training and whatever. I can sleep for 10 minutes under some old oak tree. No one comes by...it's that empty! lol

#2 · (Edited)
Well, well, well. I'm on my loop today and the bike makes a funny noise and quits. The following is the truth: about two weeks ago I felt this bike hit a super smooth level of operation. All was totally dialed in EVEN when both tires were down near the steel. My VERY NEXT THOUGHT was that this is EXACTLY what the '11 10r felt like right before it blew up. I said to myself, shut up, I'll gixx the bike.

Dang, dang, dang. My only hope is that the warranty will cover whatever failed.

Yet a THIRD summer with weeks without a bike! All related to the 10r, a two edged sword.

edit: when I checked the mileage when I was waiting for the tow it said 70,500 or something plus or minus to that. I ride 1400 miles per week, weather permitting, so don't check the odometer much, but in the interest of full disclosure, felt it may be important to state that this bike did NOT make it to 71k miles; I need a couple more days.

#4 ·
I wish i was able to ride 1400 miles a week, i knocked down a whole 500 miles all of last year.

#8 ·
Have to ride everyday but perhaps not 200 miles a day. 200 miles works for me after relocating and keeping about 100 miles of the original loop that I know well. My point here is that the better a rider knows the loop the less effort to remain alert meaning simply don't get tired if I know the fookin loop well UNLESS I don't sleep well the night before. In which case I can actually stop for a ten minute deep nap if needed and so empty that no one comes by...as far as I know. :)

#5 ·
What tires are you using and how long do they last ? I'm also commuting daily on my ZX-10R and my S21 rear is due after 7,500 miles ( 12,000 km). From what I've read all around the web it's an exceptionnal lifespan for these tires (also had an RS10 lasting 5,300 miles/8,500km).

I have a flat spot on the rear tire and should change in a week or two... curious about what you're running.

#7 · (Edited)
valves were done at 40k by dealer when dealer did the cam under warranty. Several oil changes one by dealer and a couple by me. Tires...for me the best rear is the Metzler rr M7 155 as this tire grips and will last me about 2500 miles before steel shows. The met rr tires must run oem or Vortex rear sprockets. (I'm still running oem 17 steel; I suspect the met rr really wants 16 on front which might forgive whatever is on the back, but idk.) Any other steel sprocket will wear out before the tire does. No aluminum rear will work with that tire. All other rear tires like corsa, dunlop, rs10, etc., wear out around 1400 miles for me except the power 4 which is so hard that it's really a tour tire. The front WAS for me the bridgestone rs 10G BUT now appears that they're discontinued the G and make the L and the M. The rs10 G will last me 2500 miles BEFORE it V's but I can keep that tire on to close to 4k miles but tricky. I changed out the front at 2500 miles last week as I knew the bicycle guys would be on the road...meaning I needed exact turn precision in order not to stress the road bike guys.

Barely a day not riding and so want to just buy a new CBR but can not as I have the extended warranty on the '13 and told the wife about the extended when I bought the '13

Also when the '13 failed, I was kinda going slow as had a bunch of bicycle guys around. When the '11 failed I was running hot in 4th on tiny straight. It went loud like ar 15 firing and TRIED to keep going The '13 went quickly with a tiny chatter and simply died fast ignoring everything I did while coasting to a stop. '11 went at 50k miles and this '13 went at 70500 miles plus a couple.

also, to home was 900 dollars. Nine hundred. I had other options but one involved the wife in heavy traffic or a taxi. I was about 100 miles from home on holiday Sunday no Kawa shops open so kinda tricky. I had to pay the tow guy 1.5 hours for return trip at 180 per hour. Time for payment began the moment I cleared him for pickup.

I'm used to the tow guys but this was the most expensive. Wife immediately looked up AAA but she reports that may be also complicated for a bike in the situation I was I had in terms of timing and place.

#9 ·
AAA works for bikes. You just have to get the premier plus RV package. Four 200 mile tows per year...or is it five, I can't remember now. I've had it for years and it's already paid for itself for the next ten years with a few tows already. One was during emergency service only so I had to pay $750 cash to a non AAA tow company, which concerned me, but AAA reimbursed me in less than 10 days.

#13 ·
I can't get the bike into the shop until next week; I'll report exactly what the dealer reports. Took same dealer a month to tune, cam, radiator, chain the bike last year at this exact same time. So...it's gonna be awhile. If I don't ride I rarely have a reason to come to any bike site but when I find out whatever, I'll report exactly.

#14 ·
Scout, thank you for the update, and yes please do let us know what the dealer says.

I picture you having a long commute, to and from work. What replaces the ninja when its out of commission?

My step son went an entire year, using only his skateboard for transportation....

#23 ·
No commuting, however, I do have commute traffic when weather is hot (about 100f in interior section; I live one mile from Pacific so always cool); so in some rush hour city slab stuff splitting lanes with cages all packed then about 110 miles of rural empty twists. Extreme contrast conditions in traffic and weather. Riding for me is part of my workout routine that includes other stuff, too.

#15 ·
I have had AAA for 15 years. I added motorcycle coverage about 6 years ago. Worth every single damn penny. I use them probably 4-5 times per year. With the Gold Membership I get over 200 miles of free towing, six times per year.

#16 ·
Man, you and that loop...going through a steady diet of bikes

Will be interesting to follow this saga :popcorn:

And yea i wish i had enough time for that many miles and a empty loop.

900 buck hellride almost = new exhaust/engine repair bill. yowch.

Time to chill a while and do some ciphering. Maybe think about GenV?
:thedude:

#24 ·
Service Admin's immediate response was, 'does that say 70,000 miles? That's impressive on this bike.' I just say that I ride a lot. I never dealt with dealers for repairs until I entered the 10'r genre so not used to anyone seeing the odometer. I just ride a super for about 3 years then almost give it way for a couple thousand. Always running. But your intuition was right on target.

#19 ·
That's riding right there i may beat that in due time lol. Im 10.5k and only had my bike 5months trying to slow down the distance riding but she is so addicting. I do oil changes every 2.5k rear tire once band shows front tire after 2 rears. So far i have only used 2 fronts including original and 3rears including original, current tires are Metzelers M7s.

#25 · (Edited)
Off top I think that's my rear tire. the Met rr and with that I can run 55's. 55's on other tires spin more so never hit the edge so just bought 50's, cheaper. But met rr 55's hit the edge nicely with far less spin. I get almost 3,000 miles before the steel shows. I run the rs10 m bridgestone on front only because the sides V way slower than all the other and can squeeze over 3k miles. All other rear tires are gone for me around 1500 miles except the power 4's which are really tour tires as they're hard.

I would watch that front sprocket. Also with the met rr rear I have to run vortex or oem rear sprockets on back as that tire grips so well that all the other steel sprockets wear out super fast. Not the vortex or the oem, however. I run the superstreet DID whatever 525 chain. Better than OEM and way better than all the other chains.

#20 ·
Sprockets were changed at 50 mile mark and not touched since. 16 front ultralight renthal. And 40 rear superspox stealth rear. With chain as well 3 chain 520 conv. Have you thought about running that rear sprocket if im one my first and over 10k might help as well.

#27 ·
When my 2015 was in shop waiting on insurance estimate I was wanting to buy a CBR1000RR if it was totaled, the last generation. Newer one seems interesting but I would think that through as it is still a CBR, do not think it will be the same bike as ZX-10R. Something about that Gen 4, makes a great street bike by today's standards. Easy to ride (relatively speaking) for a super. Fortunately tech was able to replace frame on my 30th Ann, bike was better than before as all was done exactly to spec. Never developed that "click" in steering head after he r/r'd the bearings/seals as part of the job.

That is some serious riding, I turned 60 last year, can ride a lot but do about 15,000 a year, not all on ZX-10R. That zone we get in which is addiction to riding lasts quite a while but tapers off due to developing injuries, aches, pains, had a hernia repaired last year but all good now, had a great surgeon.

Never did a flash, never changed a thing on the bike except tires, agree with scout, 1500-2000 miles seems about right. Using Metzeler M7RR's now, seem to have all the grip of Dunlop Q3 but far more compliance and far better ride quality for street riding. Sidewalls not as stiff. Would never use them on the track though. I used them on my Z900R, too stiff for that chassis, changed to Z8 Interact, more compliance, still great grip and handling. No TC on that bike and it is geared to be stump-puller which it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.