Whats up with my suspension?? and power?? - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 Old 07-27-2017, 12:05 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I don't want to sound like an ass but you are starting to travel down a dangerous road with your inexperience and get yourself hurt. By emptying the forks you have taken out the air gap which would allow you to bottom the fork. But now the cartridge is close to if not empty, nullifying your damping. The cartridge MUST be immersed in oil to be effective. So without doing a proper service you have no idea where that level is.

Thinner oil will does not affect spring position, oil level does.

And I have never heard of a failed inspection because suspension is too stiff. I could see the leaking seal, but not because of wrong springs.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 07-27-2017, 01:28 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

In my 7 years of riding, I've noticed that bikes generally will handle like a plank of wood when the tires are really low on air, at least that's the only time I've experienced the handling like a plank of wood.

Also, your bike doesn't have any lowering links on it does it? That can definitely contribute to the plank of wood feeling.

One other thing, it could be time for a suspension refresh like others stated, I experienced this not too long ago with our 1st gen, it had leaky fork seals and handled terribly, after new fluid and fork seals the bike seemed to handle almost as good as bike with stock links.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-27-2017, 04:45 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
$500 for piece of mind and guarantees that your suspension is in 100% tip top condition. Take your bike in and have a professional suspension shop service the forks and shock and be done with it. It will be like night and day.

post #14 of 16 Old 07-27-2017, 05:27 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Sounds like yer rebound is "packing up" dude. Adjust it so its not so slow. Sounds like its super slow right now. I have my so its pretty fast but you dont want a pogo effect either. Absolutely a novice myself here so apologies if im talking out my ass. Dont be afraid to mess with your suspension adjustments! Do one at a time though, but try combining your rebound adjusting along with compression. You have some good advice from a couple suspension pros on here, id take it.

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert

Every fortress falls, it is not the end. It aint if you fall, its how you rise that says who you really are.
- QOTSA

"if you want to be told today to fk off let me no I can help"
- Peter
post #15 of 16 Old 07-31-2017, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

So I'll do a little update.. after playing with the compression and rebound settings, to my untrained eye, it seemed fine to me, I took it back to the mot place And they still weren't happy saying it needs an overhaul, so took it to another mot place for a second opinion and asked what they thought of the forks... Low and behold.. they said it was fine... So got my not done there instead. Seems to be handling better now,so it just needed adjusting as the oil didn't make much difference, thanks all. I think the first mot place may have been stricter to your for some work. Also th advisories were different, just shows the difference between MOT testers
evallarta1 likes this.
post #16 of 16 Old 08-08-2017, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

got to the bottom of the lack of top end power too... for anyone who is experiencing similar issues.. GET A NEW FUEL PUMP, I tore my tank apart and the tank was spotless inside, the pump looked new (may have been changed) filter probably wasn't changed which put stress on the pump to squeeze fuel through the dirty filter.. anyway.. its running perfectly again. there is a filter at the foot (little mesh thing) and the black thing attached to the pump is also a filter (which apparently causes the issues - not confirmed..)

so worth getting one off ebay to try at least, doesn't take long either :)

thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.