Tire Advice.. - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 Old 07-03-2017, 11:46 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Bridgestone S21 or Mezteler Sportec M7 RR imo. Plenty of grip, plenty of life.

Avoid the Michelin Power RS, they're good for the first thousand km's but degrade quickly. I got more out of the RS10 than I did the Power RS. Michelin moved to using a thinner carcass a few years ago so you end up with less meat, the carcass is also a vastly different compound to the meat.

For what you want:

Bridgestone S21 - Long life, excellent grip, lots of feedback, good in all weather - Best from Spring to Autumn.
Metzeler Sportec M7 - Long life, excellent grip, medium feedback, good in all weather - Best from Autumn to Spring.
Pirelli Rosso 3 - Long life, excellent grip, confusing feedback to me (hard carcass, soft tyre wall), good in all weather.
Dunlop Q3 - Decent life, excellent grip, little feedback, ok in all weather - can feel unsure in cold/wet conditions.

2016 - ZX-10R KRT Winter Edition
https://www.instagram.com/superbike.turtle/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 07-04-2017, 02:33 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Rosso Corsas come stock on the Tuono I just bought. They stick real well. No idea about mileage, but everything I know Ive seen says the tire has the same edge compound as the Super Corsa with a harder center. Might be worth looking into.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #13 of 21 Old 07-04-2017, 04:19 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
Rosso Corsas come stock on the Tuono I just bought. They stick real well. No idea about mileage, but everything I know Ive seen says the tire has the same edge compound as the Super Corsa with a harder center. Might be worth looking into.
They're more in the vein of Q3's. Sacrificing some life and cold/wet grip for more dry grip. Excellent tyre though. Good for a mix of hard, dry, road riding and track days.

Honestly, tyres these days are so incredible, it's almost pointless going above anything like an S21 range tyre on the road. I see a lot of guys running semi-slicks etc, but what they don't realise is that those tyres require more temp to perform, and a lot of road riders simply cannot keep that pace up to have them working in their optimal range. Not from lack of skill necessarily, but due to conditions, traffic, cops, all kinds of things.
They lose heat faster, and take longer to warm up. At an average to advanced pace on the road, an S21 or Sportec will out perform a semi simply due to being in their temp range pretty much all the time.

Not show boating, but showing just how good they are. The attached is a mates S1K that I took for a mountain run with that S21 well beyond what most people would tolerate, and even at night temperatures it still managed 60 deg of lean without too much complaining.

2nd pic for those who don't know what the tyre looks like fresh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s21.png
Views:	11
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	401290   Click image for larger version

Name:	SIDEBAR-1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	401298  

2016 - ZX-10R KRT Winter Edition
https://www.instagram.com/superbike.turtle/

post #14 of 21 Old 07-04-2017, 09:34 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Yeah, the Rosso Corsas are a lovely tire except for 1 thing, they tend to eat away quickly down the rear tires center quickly. Not so good if you have a bit of highway commuting as part of your ride routine. For banging canyons or mountains or even a track, they would be great. Think Pirelli needs harder compound on the rear center with what they have on the sides currently. Then I'd be happy. Found both Diablo Rosso 3 and Rosso Corsa to suffer the same fate, center eaten in under 3k kms riding.

S21 givers the same side grip as the the Rosso Corsa but I get better wear through the center and at the track it deals with hard acceleration without any fuss. Only a little edge slip when warming up on corner entry. Must be more active in temp watching as I ride though. Just to observe what is going on.
post #15 of 21 Old 07-04-2017, 04:47 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Huh, interesting to know. I didnt really look too far into them other than knowing they were pretty good and sticky. One of my buddies said the center was a harder compound, but oh well. I guess im gonna chew through them quick them. Well see. Lol. I only have 600 miles on it at this point.

Thanks for the info my dudes.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #16 of 21 Old 07-04-2017, 06:08 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitze View Post
Yeah, the Rosso Corsas are a lovely tire except for 1 thing, they tend to eat away quickly down the rear tires center quickly. Not so good if you have a bit of highway commuting as part of your ride routine. For banging canyons or mountains or even a track, they would be great. Think Pirelli needs harder compound on the rear center with what they have on the sides currently. Then I'd be happy. Found both Diablo Rosso 3 and Rosso Corsa to suffer the same fate, center eaten in under 3k kms riding.

S21 givers the same side grip as the the Rosso Corsa but I get better wear through the center and at the track it deals with hard acceleration without any fuss. Only a little edge slip when warming up on corner entry. Must be more active in temp watching as I ride though. Just to observe what is going on.

Could be just your own riding style eating away at the center of the tire...

A common problem especially with street riders is they love hearing the engine on compression braking so they bang a lot of downshifts and let the engine do the braking on the rear for them. That engine braking causes more wear & tear on your tire than typical acceleration does. We all know how it's done.. Bang a downshift and then dump the clutch to hear the engine revs increase & most guys do that gear after gear instead of applying the brakes and downshifting to the gear they actually want . You can try this yourself by screaming down an off ramp & let the engine slow the bike down through through each gear on dowshifting then immediately stop & look at your rear tire & you will see thousands of tiny rolls of rubber coming up from the center of the tire that have rolled backwards due to the tire slipping against the pavement.

Riders that do this often rarely realize the damage they are doing to their tires and always complain about wearing out the center of the tire before the edges etc.

Yea you can all thank me later when I write my book about motorcycling
mpp12, Siwa, lun471k and 1 others like this.
post #17 of 21 Old 07-05-2017, 08:09 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

LDH, you are on to me once again )))

Actually, the roads here in Central Finland are relatively straight (mild curves which at not loosing license speeds = yawn) and quite abrasive. The surface get chewed a lot during winter with spiked car and truck tires and that can rip through softer motorcycle rubber in short time.

As for banging down through the gear box, why bother with quick shifters or clutch?? Seems like more effort to me ;)
Goto also get to hear the rear rubber skipping on the road surface to really achieve good engine braking sounds :P

Last edited by blitze; 07-05-2017 at 08:11 AM. Reason: typos
post #18 of 21 Old 07-05-2017, 11:47 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

You could try the Pirelli Angel's my buddy runs them on his FZ1 and has no grip problems staying with us on full on sport tires. He got nearly 10,000 miles out of his rear and he's an aggressive rider. Angel's are a bit pricy like all Pirelli tires but they work good.
post #19 of 21 Old 07-07-2017, 12:51 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I also have the Dunlop Q3's that I got at 4wo|Truck Parts & Motorcycle. This is actually my third set, and I still have no plan to try a different tire brand/model. These tires can handle wet roads just fine.
post #20 of 21 Old 07-25-2017, 08:24 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Could be just your own riding style eating away at the center of the tire...

A common problem especially with street riders is they love hearing the engine on compression braking so they bang a lot of downshifts and let the engine do the braking on the rear for them. That engine braking causes more wear & tear on your tire than typical acceleration does. We all know how it's done.. Bang a downshift and then dump the clutch to hear the engine revs increase & most guys do that gear after gear instead of applying the brakes and downshifting to the gear they actually want . You can try this yourself by screaming down an off ramp & let the engine slow the bike down through through each gear on dowshifting then immediately stop & look at your rear tire & you will see thousands of tiny rolls of rubber coming up from the center of the tire that have rolled backwards due to the tire slipping against the pavement.

Riders that do this often rarely realize the damage they are doing to their tires and always complain about wearing out the center of the tire before the edges etc.

Yea you can all thank me later when I write my book about motorcycling

That information is gold for newer riders like me, thanks a lot !
I assume rev matching won't help the effect on the suspension/tires when using engine braking to actualy brake instead of using the brakes more ?

I might be on to something, I'll probably make 9-10K miles instead of 8K (12.5K km) on my next set of S21 thanks to that tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.