What setup should i use for track? rear and front suspension! 175lbs driver

I think front suspension is a bit hard but just guessing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-20-2012, 03:47 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
There's no way for us to tell you over the Web. You're gonna have to go set the sag and play with the rebound/compression settings a bit to get the proper answer. There is no magic number.

First place to start though would be, what's your current settings? Do those settings feel good for you right now on the street? If so, why change them for the track?

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 15 Old 09-21-2012, 03:22 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

What SkyDork said...

However, I'm 175lbs in full gear and a suspension tuner said (for my gen3) it would be best to change front and rear springs, with stock suspension he recommended full stiffness at the rear. Front preload all the way out, and 1/4 turn back, stock rebound, and compression damping 13 clicks out.

post #4 of 15 Old 09-21-2012, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo_sg View Post
What SkyDork said...

However, I'm 175lbs in full gear and a suspension tuner said (for my gen3) it would be best to change front and rear springs, with stock suspension he recommended full stiffness at the rear. Front preload all the way out, and 1/4 turn back, stock rebound, and compression damping 13 clicks out.
thx for info! i will check this with a tuner
post #5 of 15 Old 09-21-2012, 09:29 AM
vr6
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrilleRR View Post
What setup should i use for track? rear and front suspension! 175lbs driver

I think front suspension is a bit hard but just guessing
www.racetech.com

I changed my rear spring and I am getting the fronts installed this weekend...

Just changing the rear spring I felt like I had a new bike...

Looking forward to getting the front springs installed
post #6 of 15 Old 10-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6 View Post
www.racetech.com

I changed my rear spring and I am getting the fronts installed this weekend...

Just changing the rear spring I felt like I had a new bike...

Looking forward to getting the front springs installed
which brand springs are you using, i got a ohilins rear used from a memeber here. i was told by a friend my last track day i should change both front and rear that just the rear is not going to help me to much... been looking into it but the ohlins cartridge are around 1100 i cant seem to find any cheaper alternative... is there any other reliable brand avalible
post #7 of 15 Old 10-18-2012, 08:59 AM
vr6
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpOoNpR View Post
which brand springs are you using, i got a ohilins rear used from a memeber here. i was told by a friend my last track day i should change both front and rear that just the rear is not going to help me to much... been looking into it but the ohlins cartridge are around 1100 i cant seem to find any cheaper alternative... is there any other reliable brand avalible
Blew my motor so I am not ridding a damb thing right now

I'm using racetech springs; had the rear sag set at 35mm for street. The front I did not get resprung yet.

The gen III has a soft rear spring, so the bike sits like a chopper and squats on acceleration so the first thing would be to change the rear spring.

I got this line from another memeber; "Your ecpectations should also be realistic in upgrading the springs. If you are not ridding hard now your not going to notice anything".

For me I was ridding so hard the bike would wobble like had low air pressure or something as I went through high speed sweepers. Also the rear wheel would hop around and not stay planted if the road got rough going through turns/sweepers.

After the spring install the bike was handling like it was on rails and felt planted... I'm way faster than a lot of guys I ride with. The guys who ride faster are on the edge...

Again, change the rear spring and see how that goes first. It's very inexpensive est. $175 total with install. ($99 spring 1 hour labor) Spring and labor may have changed since I've had mine done few years ago.

Tires help a lot too. I'm running Michelin 2CT set at 36 psi front 38 psi rear.

Good luck!

Last edited by vr6; 10-18-2012 at 09:01 AM.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6 View Post
Blew my motor so I am not ridding a damb thing right now

I'm using racetech springs; had the rear sag set at 35mm for street. The front I did not get resprung yet.

The gen III has a soft rear spring, so the bike sits like a chopper and squats on acceleration so the first thing would be to change the rear spring.

I got this line from another memeber; "Your ecpectations should also be realistic in upgrading the springs. If you are not ridding hard now your not going to notice anything".

For me I was ridding so hard the bike would wobble like had low air pressure or something as I went through high speed sweepers. Also the rear wheel would hop around and not stay planted if the road got rough going through turns/sweepers.

After the spring install the bike was handling like it was on rails and felt planted... I'm way faster than a lot of guys I ride with. The guys who ride faster are on the edge...

Again, change the rear spring and see how that goes first. It's very inexpensive est. $175 total with install. ($99 spring 1 hour labor) Spring and labor may have changed since I've had mine done few years ago.

Tires help a lot too. I'm running Michelin 2CT set at 36 psi front 38 psi rear.

Good luck!

thanx for the info bro.. im going to install that ohlins rear shock this weekend.. also order some dunlop 211 seem to be a very good tire for street/track rightnow i have a michelling Plt Pw in the front and the stock rear tire i think is bridgestone that comes frm the factory and i feel the rear hop and woble in some corners and i have the Bazzaz Fi TC not helping to much right now either for the bad tire combo or the rear spring... but we shall see, hopefully it will get better when i got it all that install.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-19-2012, 01:34 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

FWIW, I used these as a baseline and adjusted from there. Obviously this is no replacement for having it done right top to bottom. http://www.sportrider.com/suspension.../kawasaki.html
post #10 of 15 Old 10-19-2012, 01:40 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Get your sag setup and go ride the bike. Then tell us what the bike is doing good and more importantly what it is doing bad. then We can suggest adjustments on how to ure the bad.

I have worked with a couple of suspension tuners over the years and found this is the best way to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.