3Likes
  • 1 Post By realpsi
  • 2 Post By SkyDork

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-11-2018, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Slipping q3+

Alright so I just got back from a week at the tail of the dragon on my gen 4 and while I was there I put my bike it low power mode and tc2. My cold tire pressures were 32/32 and out of every corner it seems like the tc would kick on. Leaving the bridge it would come on if I got too greedy with the gas. It doesn’t make sense to me because the road was in perfect shape and at home my tc only comes on if my tires are cold or the road is cold/wet.. anyone have any suggestions or answers on way it was happening? Totally lost confidence in the q3+ after loving it for 3500 miles. Also.. I made sure the tires were hot.. they felt as hot as the other guys super corsa sp tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-11-2018, 11:23 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
3500-4000 is pretty much the life of the Q3+'s depending on how hard you ride in my experience so to take an dead tire (likely) to the gap is kinda an accident waiting to happen. Also you need to measure hot-psi guy to compare. These tires heat up quick. You're going to spend no-time riding at your base pressure. I bet your hot-psi was around 36, because when I set mine to 32/32 cold they shot up to 35/36 hot after a short ride.

Set your cold-PSI to 31/29 (so like 33/33 hot) and once they heat up you'll have better grip.

When in doubt... send it!

Last edited by ddipaola; 06-11-2018 at 01:07 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-11-2018, 11:37 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I have zero experience with Q3 +, but both my Q2 and Q3 tires would get very slippery as they aged. Usually, I changed them as soon as I felt the tires slip in situations they shouldn't be.

I could never get 3500 miles out of a Q3. I would change them and call it done.
ddipaola likes this.

2011 ZX10R
2012 FZ6R
2012 TU250X
2013 ZX6R
2017 GSX-R1000R

post #4 of 5 Old 06-11-2018, 12:58 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
So, wait a minute now. You were running it in TC2 with Low power and you determined that the tires were slipping because it "seemed" like the TC kicked in? There's your problem!

Did you actually see the TC indicator showing you that it was intervening? Did you feel the tires moving/sliding at all? What were the road conditions - dirt, leaves, sand, oily, tar snakes, etc? How hard were you riding?

The TC will intervene predictivelt as well as a reaction to an actual slip. It won't wait until the tire is slipping all the time or that will be too late to save anything. Especially in TC2 and TC3. The algorithms will try to predict the conditions under which a slip can occur to preemptively intervene a bit. In low power mode, the algorithms limit the engine power by limiting the fueling and ignition timing on the G4 and the throttle servos on the G5. How it does that and what you actually feel are different things. If the engineers calculated that for that particular power mode, that particular TC level, that much lean angle, with that much throttle, then the system will dial it back for you to potentially stop the wheel spin until it actually sees a spinning and intervenes completely. TC1 won't dial it back nearly as much, but TC2 and TC3 close that envelope to dial it way back way before it spins up.

I have ridden the Dragon on Q3 and Q3+ in Full power with TC Off (because that's the best way to ride) and got no "slipping". I can't get more than about 2,500 miles out of a rear Q3 before they are at or below the wear bars. If your tires are worn out, that's part of the problem and a contributing factor. But I suspect that you didn't actually slide anything and are assuming that you did based on the settings and what you "think" the result should've been. If you actually slid the tire, you'd feel that as the TC was trying to correct and control it.

PS - "Feeling" the heat of a tire is meaningless unless you recently calibrated the palm of your hand. I know those mechanics all use bare palms to feel how sticky and hot the race tires are in the pits. Carcass temps are way less important than the surface temps on the outside of the tire. I can tell you that after the tire sits out in the sun, the surface temps can get scorching hot on my hand at 126 deg F compared to where it should be in the 180 deg F range on a tire warmer. It's all about the "feels".
ddipaola and wheelz96 like this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Last edited by SkyDork; 06-11-2018 at 01:04 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-18-2018, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

When the tc bar goes all the way up and it cuts power and does that stuttering thing because tc is kicking in.. yes I’m sure tc was doing it’s thing. The tires are probably too wore out to be doing what I was doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in