2Likes
  • 2 Post By LDH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-02-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Rear links

Hi all, while this is not technically a zx10 question ( working on my friends zx636) I figured its pretty much a general enough question.
The previous owner had lowered it quite a bit. I brought the forls back up to stock height ( 7mm down from flush ) and when I took the dogbones off the rear I noticed there were 2 heights... Both being either side of stock length ( stock links holes lined up dead center of the 2 ). So my friend being a taller lad like myself, I opted to use the higher setting instead of stock links. Now my question is this. How much effect will this have on bike handling? I have read everything from more to less grip in turns to lowsides caused by front due to rake/trail.... Anyone have some tech advice? Should I raise front to flush? Should I just replace with stock?

Thanks for any info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-02-2017, 03:51 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

If you have the stock linkage in its entirety I would put it back on the bike. It's a very simple solution to a complex problem that could indeed cause some serious handling issues.
evallarta1 and rcannon like this.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-02-2017, 04:20 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldh View Post
if you have the stock linkage in its entirety i would put it back on the bike. It's a very simple solution to a complex problem that could indeed cause some serious handling issues.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations

post #4 of 8 Old 08-06-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Thanks for the input. I'm going to leave it raised for now until he can sit on stock and raised to see what is more comfortable. Not sure the raised will cause a problem as much as I think because it's only 1/2 inch or so raised at the seat... like 5mm at dogbone or half the diameter of linkage bolts.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-06-2017, 11:47 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
it really bothers me when people buy a supersport motorcycle expecting to be comfortable enough to cruise like on a harley, and then do stupid things like lower them. There are better ways to adjust a bike for height issues like shaving the seat or buying a honda shadow.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-06-2017, 01:01 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

So why does being a taller rider require different linkage settings raising the rear? That does 100% of nothing to provide more room while riding.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-07-2017, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBoCC2 View Post
it really bothers me when people buy a supersport motorcycle expecting to be comfortable enough to cruise like on a harley, and then do stupid things like lower them. There are better ways to adjust a bike for height issues like shaving the seat or buying a honda shadow.
1st..it was lowered when purchased.
2nd.. We did not have stock links at the time and I noticed there was a second hole on aftermarket links.
3rd... Seat height was raised by 1/2 inch which is not equal to my stock zx10r height.
4th... Honda shadow is ugly. ?
post #8 of 8 Old 08-07-2017, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dricked View Post
So why does being a taller rider require different linkage settings raising the rear? That does 100% of nothing to provide more room while riding.
Not in the way you are thinking... I would have suggested adjustable rear sets at that point. Its more the difference of having both feet planted on ground with knees slightly bent rather than having both feet on the ground slightly bent while doing the splits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.