Oil level air gap tuning gen 3 - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 Old 08-29-2017, 08:56 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
When guys are "racing" at 15 seconds off the lap record they have completely different requirements from their suspension and geometry than those that are at or near the lap record.
Interesting, what are the biggest differences between pro rider fork setup and "15s racer"?
Or are requirements that much personal, that one pro has more and other less damping compared to Ohlins factory recommended settings for for example FGRT201 forks?
I had chance to make 3 laps on IDM rider gen4 with FGRT201 forks and that had much less compression damping making front dive quickly.

Gen4 race: high spec.
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2013: stock.
Kawasaki KX450F 2016: love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 08-29-2017, 09:14 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by evallarta1 View Post
EXAMPLE - Anthony West this weekend at PittRace was on K-Tech DDS and Dave Anthony was on K-Tech RDS. We wanted to run 210mm on Anthonys forks but could not because we were too close to the top of the cartridge, so we ran 190mm. On Anthony's bike we have no issues so we can run 210 to 220mm all day long without any issues.
Valuable information, this and like you wrote before: low level for regular riders too. Will try going down from 145mm to some 185mm with RDS.

Gen4 race: high spec.
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2013: stock.
Kawasaki KX450F 2016: love it.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-29-2017, 11:19 AM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos76 View Post
Interesting, what are the biggest differences between pro rider fork setup and "15s racer"?
Or are requirements that much personal, that one pro has more and other less damping compared to Ohlins factory recommended settings for for example FGRT201 forks?
I had chance to make 3 laps on IDM rider gen4 with FGRT201 forks and that had much less compression damping making front dive quickly.

First & most obvious the physics working against a bike chassis at or near the lap record are exponentially higher than the guy riding around at 15 seconds off the lap record. The bike near the lap record is moving around, compressing the suspension, flexing the frame and drifting all the time and that all has to be controlled predictably. To get a rider to that level takes a lot more technically correct suspension set-up focused to those needs. Those riders, as awesome and skilled as they are, do not get to that level on their own. It's a team effort and a lot of it.

If you take a newbie ham-fisted rider and just arbitrarily remove most of the oil from his fork tubes like you would end up doing for a pro racer then you are risking the event of bottoming out which is catastrophic. When a rider actually touches the inner stanchion to the fork cap while in a turn it almost always results in exceeding the tires grip and a front end wash. That is why we have higher oil levels and hydraulic stops for street bikes and the like. It's a safeguard.

When you work with faster riders you can read their data and know how much fork travel they are actually using and where on the track that is happening and you can tune the suspension for it. This always includes custom oil level and spring rates which varies even more when you have gas kits where you have additional pressure inside the forks to factor in. Gas kits are even more reliant on the riders specific style and requirements. Additionally we almost always use a higher spec valving to compensate for those additional forces on the bike regardless of whether it is conventional or gas kits. There is way more to it, but to try to explain it in detail would take a novel and way more time than I can spend here talking about it.

In my experience there is a line around 8 seconds off the lap record where things start to happen and custom attention is needed for suspension bits. That's where the FGRT201 forks for example "as delivered" aren't going to be quite up to the task and need some help to get them to that next level. That being said most riders are not at 8 seconds or less off the lap record. Most trackday guys are easily 20+ seconds off the lap record at any major circuit so those forks work wonders for both the physical requirements of making their bike handle properly as well as their own mental confidence. They are riding faster with less drama so it is money well spent. If they want to go faster and are capable of it there are better options with gas or spring charged cartridge kits to get them there, but like always speed is a question of money. How fast do you want to go equals how much do you want to spend?

The bottom line is riders at or near the track record are getting a focused level of support where intimate knowledge of the trade is applied in a manner that would be mostly if not completely irrelevant for riders 15 seconds off that pace. In my years I have ridden one World Level Unobtanium Superbike and several AMA Level racebikes and all of them were basically un-rideable at 20 seconds off the lap record. One AMA Factory 600SS bike in particular felt like I was riding on wooden shocks on a warm up lap and the bike would protest the input into every turn, but get it down to 10 seconds off the lap record and it started to feel almost normal, 7 seconds off the lap record even better and almost instinctual entering every turn. Now I couldn't go any faster than that because I am just not a good enough rider to do it so I don't know how much better it was going to get, but there was no denying that the faster I went the better the bike handled which is the exact opposite for a bone stock bike off the showroom floor. From a streetbike having to safely carry a rider & passenger to Hooters on Bike Night to a racebike designed to carry a solo rider to a championship at the lap record. It's all in how the set-up knowledge is applied and it is very specific for the task.

Last edited by LDH; 08-29-2017 at 12:26 PM.

post #14 of 14 Old 08-29-2017, 11:30 AM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

As far as the FGRT201 forks you experienced. It's hard to say whether you were over-riding the existing valving or if they had been set-up incorrectly... I cannot count how many times I have seen Ohlins forks and cartridges incorrectly backed way off on Compression. Usually because some clueless tuner starts pushing up and down on the forks and visually tries to ascertain how the valving is set and that CANNOT BE DONE. Nobody can push up & down on an Ohlins suspended bike and gauge what is happening inside the suspension as you cannot emulate what is happening dynamically at speed on the track just by pushing on it with your hands. When I see tuners doing that shit to Ohlins products I warn others to stay the hell away from them.
evallarta1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.