Michelin Power RS - My Opinion - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 04-19-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Thumbs up Michelin Power RS - My Opinion

So after my last sort of review for the Bridgestone S21's, I thought I'd do one for the new Michelin Power RS.

I've gone through two sets of the S21's (fantastic tyres btw), and got 10,000km out of the first set. The second I had to swap out after 6,000km due to a puncture from some car crash shrapnel.

First off; the new Power RS is f*cking fantastic.

It has a much more aggressive tip in than the S21; however, I can only describe it as bias toward more experienced riders. I say this as it is not a tyre that enjoys changing lines mid corner. If you screw up your tip in then you're in for a bit of a doozy corner. The S21 however is happy to change lines mid corner. The aggressiveness of the tip in will cause you to cut corners until you get used to it and embrace a later and quicker tip in.

Once in the corner though they hold their line fantastic. You can basically take your hands off the bars and they'll keep going where they were pointed.
Dry grip is excellent, and while the wet performance is left somewhat lacking, they do perform far better in the wet than I was expecting, and especially compared to how you think they would based on their tread pattern.

Braking stability is excellent.

From the feel, they seem to be a harder carcass and stiffer sidewall tyre akin to the Bridgestone S21 and most Pirellis. So if you like feedback then they will please. However if you are a Dunlop fan (soft carcass and soft tyrewalls) then the feedback may reduce your confidence.

This was the biggest problem I found with the Rosso 3's, which are a hard carcass but soft tyrewall. They give the feedback from the carcass but then muddle the signals with the soft tyrewall getting in the way. As such, I hate the Rosso 3's as they feel like they are trying to tell me one thing, but are actually just getting confused.

Tyre life is yet to be seen, however they seem to be wearing quite well. I've put 4,000km on them so far and they are fairing better than the Bridgestone RS10's. No sign of squaring off yet and plenty of meat on them.

They heat up quickly, but also cool down quite quickly; so be careful if you've stopped for a smoke and a chat. Give them a chance to warm up again.

The biggerst thing I have noticed over the S21's however is significantly more available rubber at full lean. With the S21's I would be right at the edge of the tyre at 55-56 degrees, however with the Power RS's I wasn't fully scrubbing them off until around 58 degrees. They've taken me up to 60 degrees so far with zero complaints.

They love trail braking and have dropped 2 seconds off my time trial time compared to the S21's within 1 session of running them.

I'll definitely be getting a second set.

Tldr: Michelin Power RS is an excellent new tyre. However, not beginner friendly and not as good wet performance as the S21.
Choose S21 if you want a good mix of twisties, commuting, dry grip, wet grip, and longevity. Choose Power RS if you want improved dry grip, more lean, and more corner stability.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5368.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	397273   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5369.JPG
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	397281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5371.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	397289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5287.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	397297  
GreenOne and mpp12 like this.

2016 - ZX-10R KRT Winter Edition
2008 - WR450F Motard (Sold)
2004 - GSXR-600 Track (Sold)
1964 - AJS CSR 500 Thruxton
1963 - Triumph Chopper

Last edited by Siwa; 04-19-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-19-2017, 12:31 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert

"I'll smoke it with ya bro, we'll go to the looney bin together!"

"Strong Men Also Cry"
post #3 of 19 Old 04-19-2017, 04:05 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Siwa, nice review...
When I saw your avatar, noticed that I follow you in IG, Im motoseteo.

I have right now S21s on my gen4, and will do a track day on the 30.... and will test the 21s.... what is your recommended tire pressure for a beginner???

post #4 of 19 Old 04-19-2017, 04:06 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

how do you get your lean angle numbers?
theatiss likes this.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-19-2017, 05:02 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Do you think these are in between the stickiness of a s21 and rs10?

2016 ZX10R KRT ABS
2014 Ninja 300 SE
2016 DRZ400SM
post #6 of 19 Old 04-19-2017, 05:08 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Great review! Please update with tire life when the time comes. I`m gonna try these next when my S21 is toast.
Siwa likes this.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.
post #7 of 19 Old 04-19-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp12 View Post
Siwa, nice review...
When I saw your avatar, noticed that I follow you in IG, Im motoseteo.

I have right now S21s on my gen4, and will do a track day on the 30.... and will test the 21s.... what is your recommended tire pressure for a beginner???
Hey! Awesome man. Followed you back :D

Due to being a hard carcass, they suffer from dropping the pressures a lot. For hard riding, and even the track I wouldnt go lower than 34 to 35 front, and 37-38 for the rear.

Quote:
how do you get your lean angle numbers?
Took an S1K with them for a spin through the same corners at same speeds etc that I usually go. All the leans were familiar feelings so based estimate off that. Due to dislocated hips and stuff my knees don't really go down until 56-57 degrees. Topped out at 60 on the S1K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijack View Post
Do you think these are in between the stickiness of a s21 and rs10?
I'd say the RS10 has a slight advantage in the heat and perfect dry for all out grip. The Power RS wouldnt be far behind, and definitely has more life.

1963 - Triumph Chopper
post #8 of 19 Old 04-19-2017, 08:39 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

wao.... I was thinking to go really low on psi, but I will follow your advice on cold tire pressure...

34-37

did the same with mates S1000RR and was able to get 50 going to a small town with a nice road.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-19-2017, 10:56 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I can't even begin to say how impressed I am with S21's

I thought I'd give them a try because they get pretty good reviews and
the cost is great. $215 to the door, on sale $165 with rebate (over now)

Using them track only on my Gen2.

I've used Mich power ones, Mich Super Sports, Pirelli Super Corsa SP's, Q3's and more.

I've got 2 track days on them now and they are holding up great. Third track day in a couple of weeks. I usually get 3-4 track days from a set of tires and these will make 4 easy.

My 2nd track day I tried everything I could to get these tires to act up, but I never did get them to step out and tried like heck to get them to spin up, but no go. I have no problems spinning up Q3's. I pushed these way harder then Q3's and could not spin them up. Decided I really didnt want to push them any harder.

I'm running high B group pace.

Those pressures seem a little to high to me. I got the pressures right where I needed them to be. I go for a 6psi rise from cold to hot.
I found 31psi front and 31psi rear cold perfect. 220lb suited, 95f degrees temps

I like them so much I'm probably going to give them a try on my zx14 too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	r2.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	397353  
post #10 of 19 Old 04-19-2017, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
wao.... I was thinking to go really low on psi, but I will follow your advice on cold tire pressure...

34-37

did the same with mates S1000RR and was able to get 50 going to a small town with a nice road.
Yeah, the new tyre tech is pretty top notch. I ride at a bottom of red group, top of green group pace (dunno what they is in America, red is fastest group here) and they behave themselves at those pressures. Use it as a baseline and work from there depending on if you're getting cold tears etc and fine tune it. Track temp and ambient temp will play a big role, along with how much you abuse them.
You mentioned you're a beginner so yeah you shouldn't be out riding them at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottoms-Up View Post
I can't even begin to say how impressed I am with S21's

I thought I'd give them a try because they get pretty good reviews and
the cost is great. $215 to the door, on sale $165 with rebate (over now)

Using them track only on my Gen2.

I've used Mich power ones, Mich Super Sports, Pirelli Super Corsa SP's, Q3's and more.

I've got 2 track days on them now and they are holding up great. Third track day in a couple of weeks. I usually get 3-4 track days from a set of tires and these will make 4 easy.

My 2nd track day I tried everything I could to get these tires to act up, but I never did get them to step out and tried like heck to get them to spin up, but no go. I have no problems spinning up Q3's. I pushed these way harder then Q3's and could not spin them up. Decided I really didnt want to push them any harder.

I'm running high B group pace.

Those pressures seem a little to high to me. I got the pressures right where I needed them to be. I go for a 6psi rise from cold to hot.
I found 31psi front and 31psi rear cold perfect. 220lb suited, 95f degrees temps

I like them so much I'm probably going to give them a try on my zx14 too.
Good looking wear there. If those pressure work for you that's great. The only problem with dropping them a lot is they can deform due to being so stiff. So instead of opening up like a Dunlop at low pressure, they can kink and stress in unusual ways without enough pressure to keep them supported.

1963 - Triumph Chopper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.