12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 Old 05-16-2018, 11:58 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 310erik View Post
Does anybody know roughly what a shop would charge to raise it and adjust it for my weight and height? I'm like 250 and 6' tall. It's still cool to ride but I wonder what I'm missing out on by it not being adjusted

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
If it's lowered like I think it is, then it will require quite a bit of disassembly on the front. The springs will need replacing. The average charge for just that, forks only would be about $250. That means you would have to remove the fork tubes yourself. If you're taking the bike to them complete, then the charge will go up from there and you need to add in the cost of parts. The rear isn't so bad if the person who lowered it just used some adjustable tie-rods. They may be able to reuse them with the stock height. If the spring was cut to lower it, then that needs to be replaced. Beyond that, I'm not exactly sure since there's not much information besides the pictures.

All-in-all, I'd put that job somewhere in the $500-$600 range for a shop to do the work.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 05-16-2018, 04:05 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Regarding the forks, from what I can make of the pictures you are pretty close to stock measurements there. So I would bet it is stock. I`m assuming you measured with the bike on the sidestand. You are about 8mm lower than mine, but you seem to have about 5mm less preload set, around stock setting. Due to stiction and how the bike settles on the sidestand(I assumed you measured with the bike on the sidestand) its not gonna get exact comparable anyway.
I`m no suspension expert, but I can tell you that the Gen 2 stock rear spring is way too soft for your weight. No tuning can fix that without a respring. The fork springs are also most likely too soft for you. The dogbones should have a number stamped on them. The left one is easy to see. Get a picture of that.
310erik likes this.

I`m just in for the ride
post #13 of 16 Old 05-16-2018, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
Regarding the forks, from what I can make of the pictures you are pretty close to stock measurements there. So I would bet it is stock. I`m assuming you measured with the bike on the sidestand. You are about 8mm lower than mine, but you seem to have about 5mm less preload set, around stock setting. Due to stiction and how the bike settles on the sidestand(I assumed you measured with the bike on the sidestand) its not gonna get exact comparable anyway.
I`m no suspension expert, but I can tell you that the Gen 2 stock rear spring is way too soft for your weight. No tuning can fix that without a respring. The fork springs are also most likely too soft for you. The dogbones should have a number stamped on them. The left one is easy to see. Get a picture of that.
I have to find that spring then for my weight. I wonder if those fork adjustments are the same on both sides. I dont want to ruin anything by turning them with a screwdriver

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

post #14 of 16 Old 05-16-2018, 11:10 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victors View Post
Yes.. a few inches
Thats a negative. I look at the op pics both forks and shock is stock height. If the front was lowered forks would be stickin up like in pic below not flush.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
310erik likes this.

05 ZX-10R SWB.
post #15 of 16 Old 05-17-2018, 05:46 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Yes, those are stock dogbones. Unless something else is going on, your bike is not lowered.

Your preload is set the same for both forks and looks to be around the stock setting of 17mm. Measured as B in attached picture. If you want to check if rebound damping is set the same for both forks (top flat head screws) turn clockwise and count the clicks until closed. Do not! force it. Compression damping is the flat head screw towards the fork bottom. Return to where it was, or stock. Stock setting is 10 clicks back out from closed for both rebound and compression. Second softest possible.
If you plan to keep the bike for a while and use it for anything else than cruising the strip, it should be well invested money to get a possibly well overdue service/oil change done all over and new springs (at least for the shock) with a baseline sag setup etc. Until that, trying to tune it probably won`t make much sense.
Attached Images

SkyDork and 310erik like this.

I`m just in for the ride
post #16 of 16 Old 05-17-2018, 07:34 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Yup, the shock has the OEM parts on it. Not lowered with that setup.

GreenOne posted the adjustments and more info. There's no reason you can't set the suspension yourself so it's equal on both sides. That will give you a baseline for any changes going forward. The rear will be undersprung for your weight on the stock spring. But if you're not tracking it, you should be decent with that. But I concur with GreenOne also on it being time for an overhaul on the suspension! New oil as a minimum. Since you won't be spending the money for having it raised back up, now you can spend it on the overhaul and proper springs on the front and rear!
GreenOne and 310erik like this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in