Help picking out a new set of tires - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 Old 09-01-2017, 12:46 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

S21 is a great tire for the street and it can be ridden on the track at a moderate pace. Not as sticky as q3+ or RS10. I liken the RS10 to the Dunlop Q3 and the S21 to the Dunlop Sportmax. Also the Pirelli Rosso Corsa series seems pretty good.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 09-12-2017, 01:53 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
does anyone here have experience with the pirrelli roso 3's? I have a couple buddies here in San Diego with Gen 5's that swear by them and im gonna be buying a set of tires in the next couple days
post #13 of 18 Old 09-12-2017, 03:06 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijack View Post
S21 is a great tire for the street and it can be ridden on the track at a moderate pace. Not as sticky as q3+ or RS10. I liken the RS10 to the Dunlop Q3 and the S21 to the Dunlop Sportmax. Also the Pirelli Rosso Corsa series seems pretty good.
Have you ridden the S21s? The reason I ask is because I was running advanced group times without drama on them. The only difference I really noticed was the rear trying to step out after 20-25 minutes of laps at an open track day (most track sessions are 20 minutes or less). Only thing that sucked was not being able to flog it when the session started but it never got to a point where my pace was noticeably different than the guys around me running slicks and warmers.

OP - I would not hesitate to recommend the S21 to you. But the most important thing about any tire you choose is your own confidence in it. There is a lot of brand loyalty in these kind of threads much like asking a person about oil. Buy whatever tire best suits your needs, preferably from a local brand rep and ask them what tire pressures to run and be done with it.

post #14 of 18 Old 09-12-2017, 03:31 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I'm not a track day guy (sadly, wish I was!) but I just ordered my 3rd set of S21 for the ZX-10R.

The ones I ride on are done after 7,500 miles. I could probably get an additional 1000 miles on them if I'd want to get through the whole rubber, but as someone who rides in the streets, in the rain and often in the cold, I can't really risk the lack of grip for a few more miles.
post #15 of 18 Old 09-14-2017, 07:54 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

@Schooley; What tires are you comparing "the difference" to? Never ridden a s21 on the track. I have used rs10 and SP's on the road courses, but haven't used street legal tires in several seasons (no racing). S21 did come, as OEM on my R6.

post #16 of 18 Old 09-14-2017, 09:13 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

If you have been riding the Q3 and like it then try the Q3 Plus. I have zero experience with the Q3 plus, but do have experience with the S21 at a track day and q3 at track days.

The turn in/tip in feel and quickness is very different on the S21. You will notice this. I have no complaints about grip on the s21. I haven't had them long enough to comment on longevity.

I have RS10s on my new Suzuki and think the feel on those is very similar to the Q3. I don't know about grip and have zero experience on longevity with the RS10.

2011 ZX10R
2012 FZ6R
2012 TU250X
2013 ZX6R
2017 GSX-R1000R

Last edited by realpsi; 09-14-2017 at 09:16 AM.
post #17 of 18 Old 09-14-2017, 02:20 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijack View Post
@Schooley; What tires are you comparing "the difference" to? Never ridden a s21 on the track. I have used rs10 and SP's on the road courses, but haven't used street legal tires in several seasons (no racing). S21 did come, as OEM on my R6.
I am talking about the difference between the S21 and a typical DOT/Slick I have run on the track (GPA, R10, SC, etc.).

An S21 supplied as OEM stock rubber is completely different than what you get off the rack from a tire supplier. I guess I was just trying to understand how you could ever compare an S21 to a SportMax ( I am assuming you meant the RoadSmart )
post #18 of 18 Old 09-16-2017, 07:33 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Sorry I was thinking the sportmax was a sporty street tire, but it seems to be a moniker like battle ax. My buddy got a 2017 r6 also and his came with a dunlop sportmax. I am pleased to here the s21 works well on the track for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen-Shot-2016-04-10-at-13.37.26.png
Views:	13
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	404250  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.