Gen4: Ohlins Electronically Controlled Shock - Page 4 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 255 Old 12-15-2012, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman69 View Post
Does the rear feel really really rock hard with that setup? Like riding a skateboard through the pits? I'm interested in putting the attack link in my bike, however I rode one with it and I could not get the bike to transfer weight to the rear wheel. It was just too stiff.
Spot on - the rear is rock hard, but i think it has more to do with the spring. I think the spring is a bit too stiff for my weight. But then again, i got it sprung for my weight by Ohlins USA and i have a feeling they put the stiffer spring in there for use with the stock linkage. My Static sag is only 23mm with all the preload taken out (preload was taken between lifting the rear into the air and me on the bike)

I am going to try a lighter spring for sure, but i did not have any issue with weight transfer, the bike was a lot better than with the stock setup.

The ZX10R - You'll go blind from over-exposure due to it's pure awesomeness!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 255 Old 12-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Does the rear feel really really rock hard with that setup? Like riding a skateboard through the pits? I'm interested in putting the attack link in my bike, however I rode one with it and I could not get the bike to transfer weight to the rear wheel. It was just too stiff.
Ahh. U shouldnt base your opinion on the rear link on how my bike was set-up that day. I took your suggestions & removed alot of compression damping. It did make a difference.
Plus some doh - head(me) had the link installed the wrong way
Not only that. Im 30 lbs heavier then U.

It would be nice to find out if we can buy the electric adjusters & control box for our Ohlins now. (as U asked earlier)
Is it the same shock with the added electronics? Has any body talked to Dan Kyle on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
Spot on - the rear is rock hard, but i think it has more to do with the spring. I think the spring is a bit too stiff for my weight. But then again, i got it sprung for my weight by Ohlins USA and i have a feeling they put the stiffer spring in there for use with the stock linkage. My Static sag is only 23mm with all the preload taken out (preload was taken between lifting the rear into the air and me on the bike)

I am going to try a lighter spring for sure, but i did not have any issue with weight transfer, the bike was a lot better than with the stock setup.
23 mm sounds good, doesnt it? What spring? Whats your weight? Many different opinions on springs for these litre bikes.

Going off subject a little. There are 4 of us racing G4s up here. All 4 are fast. Fireman is the fastest.(Exp SBK Champ) His springs would be set-up soft by some peoples standards. Yet he has no problems at all controlling that bike. Having said that. I believe its all the rider. Given time on any of the other G4s he would ride them as fast as his own. (maybe faster )

PRESENT
11 ZX10R Track/Race
08 ZX10R - Track/Race (was a Ins write-off)
PLUS a few more.

PAST
Way to many to list.

Last edited by JDSZX10R o8; 12-16-2012 at 01:25 PM.
post #33 of 255 Old 12-16-2012, 02:21 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I wish I could buy the attack link (or others) with the needle bearings in them. That way I could do back to back comparisons. The electronic adjustable shock might be able to take some of the harshness out at the slower speeds. I'm interested to hear more about it.

And JDS. I am just not sold on a bike that feels harsh. I'm hoping to avoid that on mine. Also, we need another zx10 test day next year. What do you say?

post #34 of 255 Old 12-16-2012, 02:23 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:

Sorry. Do you have 23 mm of static sag or rider sag? Was the 23mm from full extension to you sitting on the bike?
post #35 of 255 Old 12-16-2012, 07:34 PM
arc
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc View Post
Doing a decent test run out in the twisties today.
Did a mix of ~400 kms of tight twisties on wet & slippery roads (TC on 3, full power) followed by high speed sweepers in the dry (TC on 1, full power). Night and day difference over the stock rear shock. 10/10. Feel is incredible, corners on rails now, point and shoot. Correct rear spring for my weight installed by the Ohlins installer, he also dropped the OEM front forks by 4mm and increased the front fork oil level (she's done 32k kms and needed fresh fork oil).

Magnificent

A.

Tomorrow, when I wake, or think I do, what shall I say of today?
Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot
post #36 of 255 Old 12-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
I wish I could buy the attack link (or others) with the needle bearings in them. That way I could do back to back comparisons. The electronic adjustable shock might be able to take some of the harshness out at the slower speeds. I'm interested to hear more about it.

And JDS. I am just not sold on a bike that feels harsh. I'm hoping to avoid that on mine. Also, we need another zx10 test day next year. What do you say?
Kinda agree with you on the harsh/stiff thing. Now, with electronic dampening could we not stay with the softer spring - then let the electronic dampening take over when heavy on the gas or brakes(front suspension)?

Count me in on the ZX10 test day . Late Apr or early May would be nice

Quote:
Sorry. Do you have 23 mm of static sag or rider sag? Was the 23mm from full extension to you sitting on the bike?
With him sitting on the bike(I believe) from fully extended.

Just a note. I only have 5 mm of static sag on mine with the after market plate in & the pre-load maxed out. 10 mm of static sag with 0 pre-load, & 23 mm of sag with me on the bike with full gear on (0 pre-load).

PRESENT
11 ZX10R Track/Race
PLUS a few more.

PAST
Way to many to list.
post #37 of 255 Old 12-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to wheeliest
I've always started with 35mm's and worked around that. then again im not on a new zx10. but base line dial in starts inch n a half.
12Zx10R_Squid likes this.

ASMA # 29
post #38 of 255 Old 12-17-2012, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSZX10R o8 View Post
23 mm sounds good, doesnt it? What spring? Whats your weight? Many different opinions on springs for these litre bikes.
The code on the Spring is 21040-44/120 L2112 and my weight is 90kg (198lb) with gear - this is the spring that Ohlins USA put on the shock for my weight.
I always had my bikes setup with 30mm, so i found it a little strange to only get a max of 23mm with all the preload taken out.

Quote:
Was the 23mm from full extension to you sitting on the bike?
That's correct, the 23mm is between the rear being lifted into the air and me sitting on the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSZX10R o8 View Post
Now, with electronic dampening could we not stay with the softer spring - then let the electronic dampening take over when heavy on the gas or brakes(front suspension)?
That is what i am thinking and the reason why i want try a softer spring.

The ZX10R - You'll go blind from over-exposure due to it's pure awesomeness!
post #39 of 255 Old 12-17-2012, 10:18 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
The code on the Spring is 21040-44/120 L2112 and my weight is 90kg (198lb) with gear - this is the spring that Ohlins USA put on the shock for my weight.
I always had my bikes setup with 30mm, so i found it a little strange to only get a max of 23mm with all the preload taken out.

That's correct, the 23mm is between the rear being lifted into the air and me sitting on the bike.

That is what i am thinking and the reason why i want try a softer spring.

Ok. That is 23mm of rider sag then. I use 30mm as a starting point as well. However 23 is not terrible. I will more than likely need a lighter spring as well. if it feels harsh on the track change it. If not I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for your time.
post #40 of 255 Old 12-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Hey, I just talked to Dan Kyle. Unfortunately we cant buy the electronics seperately. Well we can, but the cost is ridiculus as opposed to just buying a new shock for under $1400

Also, these shocks arnt programable by the average Joe racer. No touching the dampening at all. Install it & let it do its thing. As Bounce stated earlier.

Hmmm. Anybody want to buy a good used TTX for a G4? :-)

PRESENT
11 ZX10R Track/Race
PLUS a few more.

PAST
Way to many to list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.