Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Gen2 Rear suspension help

7K views 38 replies 10 participants last post by  evallarta1 
#1 ·
Hey guys, hoping someone might be able to check out my suspension and tell me what is wrong with it. I have an 06 zx10r, I bought it like this and I'm pretty sure it's been lowered in the rear because everyone always asks me if it's lowered. I'm 5'9" 145 and I sit completely flat footed on it now. I want it back to stock height because it handles like a tank now. At first I thought it had lowering dogbones on it but now I see they appear to be stock, they say 0018 on them. I was also looking at complete rear shocks on ebay and most of them for this year are black with a silver spring whereas mine is gold with a red spring. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Thoughts?

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Im 5'9" and 140 and i flat foot it pretty easily. As others said, that the stock shock. I have a 06. Try messing with your spring rate, sag and compression. Mine is soft enough i can make it floppy feeling even with little ol me on it. That doesnt mean its a good compliant shock but at least the range of motion seems to be there. Dying to get me some Racetech gear on there though.

#13 ·
Bringing the thread back for a couple more questions. Ive been thinking about getting another rear shock possibly from something else like the gen 3 zx10r. This is a better shock no? Are there other options that could benefit my gen 2? I know there is always the ohlins etc but no looking to drop so much dough right now. Also Ive been asked if my front fork springs have been shortened. I was wondering if someone could verify this for me. Right now as the bikes sits from the bottom of the fork seal to the bottom of the tube is about 93 -94mm in length with the bike on its wheels. I know I could take out the spring and measure it but thats a lot of hassle. Also been thinking of getting the front forks revalved. Any good recommendations?

#16 ·
Although a terrible inaccurate method, mine is about 99mm if this helps you. With the bike on the side stand. Depends on your preload as mentioned. And also on stiction, where the fork rests.
Have you considered just respring for your weight and service what you have to see how it feels? Potentially 11 year old oil won`t exactly make the stockers do their best. Then you can save up for something better later.

#14 ·
Save your money on getting another OEM shock. The amount of hassle and time trying to make it work wont be worth it.

As to the front end shortened you have to take the forks apart to get the right answer. If the springs where "shortened" the rate changes and they would feel much stiffer. Best thing is to have them taken apart and inspected. Preload also affects where in the stroke the forks sit.

As to revalving the forks, I'd recommend (in no particular order) Ohlins, K-Tech and Bitubo. GP and Penske are also an ok option (in my opinion and experience). I'd stay away from Race Tech. The price and what you have to do to install them is not worth it.

#15 ·
Save your money on getting another OEM shock. The amount of hassle and time trying to make it work wont be worth it.

As to the front end shortened you have to take the forks apart to get the right answer. If the springs where "shortened" the rate changes and they would feel much stiffer. Best thing is to have them taken apart and inspected. Preload also affects where in the stroke the forks sit.

As to revalving the forks, I'd recommend (in no particular order) Ohlins, K-Tech and Bitubo. GP and Penske are also an ok option (in my opinion and experience). I'd stay away from Race Tech. The price and what you have to do to install them is not worth it.
Can you elaborate on that a little? I was pretty set on Racetech simply due to affordability... Not all of us can go out and blow a grand on a rear shock for a bike that may never see the track but from just hearing you and LDH talk it sounds so black and white - either blow $1500 on a nice piece or just stick with the stock trash lol.

Reactions: NinjaLife
#18 ·
Ok. Shock needs service too, and probably time for your forks again. Stock fork springs might be a little too stiff, and rear a little too soft for you. It won`t be free as the shock must be done by a shop, but it`s probably a better option than trying to make something else work that won`t, and on top of that is already in need of service too.

#19 ·
I bought my Gen 2 with 15k miles on it and the stock suspension was so wasted that it nearly fell off the sidestand to the right. I have a 29" inseam and could easily flat foot both sides. As the manual said the seat height was over 31" I knew where the problem was.

Dealing with Dan at Traxxion for a complete fork revalve with their kits(not AK20), springs for my weight and track s/u including the labor was under $700. Adding a Penske 8393 s/u the same was another $800 or so. Best $1500 ever spent!

Go here if interested;

Axxion Compression Valves

#22 · (Edited)
Their springs are ok. But again, better options out there. Ohlins, K-Tech, Bitubo all make springs that are direct drop ins. What I mean is if you buy Racetech springs, many times you have to create/add new spacers because the new springs are different lengths. The other manufactures make a number of different spring rates that are the exact same size as OEM. So the only thing you replace is the spring, and nothing else.

Takes all the guess work out.

#27 ·
People can get a little touchy around here when anyone talks
about suspension, keep in mind I know nothing like the pros that
hang out here, but...

I changed the spring on my Gen2 and just used the racetech calculator
to order the spring.

You didn't mentioned if you have ever rebuilt/freshened your shock?

Might be good time to have oil changed, nitrogen check, bladder repair
if needed. Shock dyno and have them install the spring while freshening the
shock.

Maybe "evallarta1" offers this service?

Or just get the spring and change yourself, not that hard to do at least you'll
be reasonably assured the bike is then sprung to your weight and tweak suspension from there.

#28 · (Edited)
The RaceTech calculator is what I've been using. I've been dieting and dropping some weight, and I like my rear a bit stiff, so I'm a bit on the fence about what to do.

And no, I have not rebuilt the shock in anyway. Bike has a little over 12k on it, so I didn't think I needed to, but maybe it's a time thing?

#29 ·
When I went to Race Tech school we had a conversation with Paul Thede about the RT spring calculator. Basically they spring towards the heavy side for people for a number of reasons. If I do need to use the RT calculator I usually go 1 or 2 rates lighter then what they recommend.

So if you walked into my shop I'd probably put you on a 9.8kg spring from RT or a 95nm from K-tech/Ohlins.

Also as some others have mentioned it may be worth servicing your shock. Generally for a street bike we recommend 10 to 15k miles.

#31 · (Edited)
As for servicing my shock, is this something I can or should do myself, or should I send it away?
Again no expert here, just like to work on stuff.

No, you can't do yourself. Need more equipment. Vacuum, Nitrogen, etc.
Could but would have to but bunch of stuff, maybe $300-$400 worth
of equipment.

If you send out they can also dyno the shock and look for any problems.

Also, bladders have been known to leak and might need repairing.

Also, since I'm at that service interval, should I start thinking about servicing my forks too?
Yes, I might be a little different then others, but I change fork oil on all my
bikes every 12-18 months.

I also like to experiment with slightly different oils weights and fill heights.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.