Gen.4 ZX-10R: Ceramic Wheel Bearings - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 04-05-2015, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Gen.4 ZX-10R: Ceramic Wheel Bearings

Sooo...

I am in the market to purchase some ceramic wheel bearings for my 2011 ZX-10R. Does anyone have any recommendations which brand I should go with, along with price? I'm also looking to see if anyone has experience with using ceramic bearings on OEM wheels. I would look into lighter wheels like BSTs, etc. But, I don't have that kind of money.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 04-05-2015, 09:45 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Worldwide bearing. They have pretty good reviews on the ceramic hybrids or full ceramic.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 42 Old 04-05-2015, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Worldwide bearing. They have pretty good reviews on the ceramic hybrids or full ceramic.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Difference between the two?

post #4 of 42 Old 04-05-2015, 10:14 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Hybrids use a steel outer and inner race with ceramic balls. They offer improved fiction over normal bearings at a lot lower price point than full ceramics. Full ceramics will set you back close to $500 versus $300 something for the hybrids.

#WordCrimes

post #5 of 42 Old 04-05-2015, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Hybrids use a steel outer and inner race with ceramic balls. They offer improved fiction over normal bearings at a lot lower price point than full ceramics. Full ceramics will set you back close to $500 versus $300 something for the hybrids.
Interesting. I'm guessing for these to be this expensive, they must be pretty effective. lol
post #6 of 42 Old 04-05-2015, 10:42 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNMS3 View Post
Interesting. I'm guessing for these to be this expensive, they must be pretty effective. lol

The reduction in overall rolling friction is pretty impressive.

#WordCrimes

post #7 of 42 Old 04-05-2015, 10:45 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

From my understanding, full ceramic is made more for vacuum environments,MRi machines, and things like that. but thats probably grade 25 to 100

grade 5 is the strongest of them

If you get a set, be sure to get a set that specifies quality on the seal. BC alot of ceramic failure is due to debris and cheaper seals. I dont know to much about them, but the white ceramic is suppose to be brittle.
I use to rewind/restore electric motors with my dad. From single to really big 3 phase. we tried using ceramic bearings in our pumps, bc we hoped they would hold in a wet environment better. However the sets we tried disintegrated under pressure (these pumps where very very hard on any bearing, requiring constant change and maintenance)

Really though, this was years ago, and im sure the motorcycle specific bearings are probably grade 5 and top notch-in seal protection.

The Largest amount of friction in bearings comes from the grease

EDIT Im interested in this also now and going to do some research myself. Bearings are something easy to change and when i need a set i may try this. I called my dad and asked him if there was an update on bearings he uses in the pumps. He told me the pumps have been reworked with new units, and he has been using full ceramic in them for a while now. He also said if it wasn't for cost, he would put them in the oil rig motors also. But those guys want them as cheap as possible. Those pumps and motors work 24/7 rain, sleet, or snow

Last edited by viperwolf; 04-05-2015 at 10:57 PM.
post #8 of 42 Old 04-05-2015, 11:04 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNMS3 View Post
Sooo...

I am in the market to purchase some ceramic wheel bearings for my 2011 ZX-10R. Does anyone have any recommendations which brand I should go with, along with price? I'm also looking to see if anyone has experience with using ceramic bearings on OEM wheels. I would look into lighter wheels like BSTs, etc. But, I don't have that kind of money.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
My input; these bearings are quite sensitive to any contamination. They are used quite a lot in bicycles (high-end stuff) but require frequent maintenance and replacement. The sealed ball bearings in your bike are of excellent quality and will give very good service for years. If you want to play around with this by all means, but realize the trade-off in slightly less friction is offset by a much less robust bearing overall. This application is for machines that can be serviced frequently and fairly easily (pumps, bicycles, and so on), not for vehicles like motorcycles that are ridden for years and need to be reliable under a wide variety of conditions (dirt, dust, water, snow, hard usage).
post #9 of 42 Old 04-06-2015, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Fang View Post
My input; these bearings are quite sensitive to any contamination. They are used quite a lot in bicycles (high-end stuff) but require frequent maintenance and replacement. The sealed ball bearings in your bike are of excellent quality and will give very good service for years. If you want to play around with this by all means, but realize the trade-off in slightly less friction is offset by a much less robust bearing overall. This application is for machines that can be serviced frequently and fairly easily (pumps, bicycles, and so on), not for vehicles like motorcycles that are ridden for years and need to be reliable under a wide variety of conditions (dirt, dust, water, snow, hard usage).
I appreciate the input. But, they make ceramic wheel bearings specifically for motorcycles I believe.
post #10 of 42 Old 04-06-2015, 12:36 PM
Crash Test Dummy

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to Hernando Send a message via Skype™ to Hernando
I have the world wide ceramic wheel bearings. They work great, but the bearings alone won't make a huge difference.

Everyone always hates on me when I say this but super-light wheels and bearings don't make a huge difference; At least in road racing. Now I'm not saying you won't notice them....just that I'd have everything else like suspension and geometry dialed in before I bought some couple hundred dollar bearings. I've had BST's, marchesinis and a set of OZ wheels with worldwide bearings in all of them...no failures.

Bear Jew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.