Gen.4 ZX-10R: Ceramic Wheel Bearings - Page 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 Old 04-08-2015, 02:44 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Yes, it's true. They are pressed into the wheel hub using the outer race. But to extract them, they have to be pulled out or beaten out using the inner race. That transfers the load through the ball bearings to the outer race and will deform the races and balls slightly. If anyone tells you they can get the bearings out and you can reuse them, they are full of shit.
lol, telling the cold hard truth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 Old 04-08-2015, 05:11 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Yes, it's true. They are pressed into the wheel hub using the outer race. But to extract them, they have to be pulled out or beaten out using the inner race. That transfers the load through the ball bearings to the outer race and will deform the races and balls slightly. If anyone tells you they can get the bearings out and you can reuse them, they are full of shit.
....I can do it, but it's a more expensive process than buying new bearing generally. It's amazing what you can do with extreme cold and mild heat when applied properly.

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
post #23 of 42 Old 04-08-2015, 05:19 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazOnaZX View Post
....I can do it, but it's a more expensive process than buying new bearing generally. It's amazing what you can do with extreme cold and mild heat when applied properly.
I done the reverse before to insert.....worked like a charm

Bloo

Sent from My Computer via DSL mid to low service Firefox updated version, sometimes wireless sometimes Wire from the garage depending on connection speed.

post #24 of 42 Old 04-09-2015, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Okay, thanks for the clarification. Is it just the bearings that can't be replaced, or do I have to buy new seals, o-ring, and ring-snap as well?
post #25 of 42 Old 04-09-2015, 08:17 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNMS3 View Post
Okay, thanks for the clarification. Is it just the bearings that can't be replaced, or do I have to buy new seals, o-ring, and ring-snap as well?
There are no seals, o-rings, or snap rings. You buy the bearings and they are pressed into the wheel hubs. That's it. Assuming you're having a mechanic install them, otherwise you need a bearing press tool to do it yourself.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #26 of 42 Old 04-09-2015, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
There are no seals, o-rings, or snap rings. You buy the bearings and they are pressed into the wheel hubs. That's it. Assuming you're having a mechanic install them, otherwise you need a bearing press tool to do it yourself.
Okay. I was looking at an OEM layout of the whole rear wheel with part #'s and it looked like there were other components you needed with the bearings as well when you re-install them. Unless, what I'm mentioning is part of the bearings? And yes, I am having a mechanic do it.
post #27 of 42 Old 04-09-2015, 10:02 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNMS3 View Post
Okay. I was looking at an OEM layout of the whole rear wheel with part #'s and it looked like there were other components you needed with the bearings as well when you re-install them. Unless, what I'm mentioning is part of the bearings? And yes, I am having a mechanic do it.
The parts you're referring to are the axle seals. You normally can reuse those parts. Unless you want to replace them or yours are currently worn out, then there's no need. If you're going with ceramics, you need all 3 bearings for the back wheel and the 2 for the front. If you're getting your wheels powder coated and keeping the cheaper bearings, you only need the 2 for the rear wheel that go into the wheel hub. You don't need to remove and replace the 3rd rear one in the sprocket carrier.

Parts 601A in the diagram below. Everything else can be reused.
Attached Images

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #28 of 42 Old 04-12-2015, 01:49 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Sense we are talking about bearings here. so i took off my rear tire to go threw the motions and it needed a chain adjustment aswell. 5 mins to pull off and 15 to re install, easier than my other bikes really. I could not believe that the sprocket side bearing is not a sealed bearing. It has the hub seal, but no seal on the bearing. The brake side is a sealed bearing, that was a dumb move for the sprocket side.

so i guess im going to do some research for the bearing sizes.

EDIT as all of you know( i did not) the rear has 3 bearings. Ive seen it referred to as a cush bearing. Is that acting as a thrust bearing? If my memory is right, a 6006 is just a standard bearing. Sorry guys im still new to the zx and the search golden button is not my friend. Probably bc i dont ask the right way, maybe i need to buy it dinner or something.

In case anyone comes across this in a search, just a copy and paste from another thread.

Front Wheels:
601B6005UU BEARING-BALL,#6005UU (2 required)

Rear Wheel:
601B6205UU BEARING-BALL (2 required)

Cush Drive:
601B6006G BEARING-BALL,#6006G (1 required)

Last edited by viperwolf; 04-12-2015 at 03:11 AM.
post #29 of 42 Old 04-12-2015, 09:48 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperwolf View Post
Sense we are talking about bearings here. so i took off my rear tire to go threw the motions and it needed a chain adjustment aswell. 5 mins to pull off and 15 to re install, easier than my other bikes really. I could not believe that the sprocket side bearing is not a sealed bearing. It has the hub seal, but no seal on the bearing. The brake side is a sealed bearing, that was a dumb move for the sprocket side.

so i guess im going to do some research for the bearing sizes.

EDIT as all of you know( i did not) the rear has 3 bearings. Ive seen it referred to as a cush bearing. Is that acting as a thrust bearing? If my memory is right, a 6006 is just a standard bearing. Sorry guys im still new to the zx and the search golden button is not my friend. Probably bc i dont ask the right way, maybe i need to buy it dinner or something.
That setup is normal, it's well-protected once it's assembled. No worries, mate.
post #30 of 42 Old 04-17-2015, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
The parts you're referring to are the axle seals. You normally can reuse those parts. Unless you want to replace them or yours are currently worn out, then there's no need. If you're going with ceramics, you need all 3 bearings for the back wheel and the 2 for the front. If you're getting your wheels powder coated and keeping the cheaper bearings, you only need the 2 for the rear wheel that go into the wheel hub. You don't need to remove and replace the 3rd rear one in the sprocket carrier.

Parts 601A in the diagram below. Everything else can be reused.
Thanks for the info. Still debating on whether to do ceramics. I only have this weekend left to decide before I have to order something. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in