8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 42 Old 04-06-2015, 04:32 PM
Platinum Site Sponsor

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNMS3 View Post
Sooo...

I am in the market to purchase some ceramic wheel bearings for my 2011 ZX-10R. Does anyone have any recommendations which brand I should go with, along with price? I'm also looking to see if anyone has experience with using ceramic bearings on OEM wheels. I would look into lighter wheels like BSTs, etc. But, I don't have that kind of money.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
The ones we spoke about this morning are the Worldwide bearings for reference. Great reviews on the product.

Call TJ at 866-931-6644 ext 817. Our business hours are Monday-Friday 9:30AM-6PM EST. Visit our website at Riders Discount.

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 Old 04-06-2015, 04:40 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridersdiscount View Post
The ones we spoke about this morning are the Worldwide bearings for reference. Great reviews on the product.
Shit, you sell those too? Good to know!

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #13 of 42 Old 04-06-2015, 04:51 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Hybrids use a steel outer and inner race with ceramic balls. They offer improved fiction over normal bearings at a lot lower price point than full ceramics. Full ceramics will set you back close to $500 versus $300 something for the hybrids.
Quote:

SkyDork likes this.

1997 CBR1100XX Super Blackbird

2007 CBR1000RR

2013 ZX10R ABS

post #14 of 42 Old 04-06-2015, 05:15 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
I have the world wide ceramic wheel bearings. They work great, but the bearings alone won't make a huge difference.

Everyone always hates on me when I say this but super-light wheels and bearings don't make a huge difference; At least in road racing. Now I'm not saying you won't notice them....just that I'd have everything else like suspension and geometry dialed in before I bought some couple hundred dollar bearings. I've had BST's, marchesinis and a set of OZ wheels with worldwide bearings in all of them...no failures.
You got it! I spent a fair bit of coin on transmission and wheel bearings and it did NOTHING! Bike gained no mph anywhere.

Stay away from the ceramic bearings man. Unfortunately you would be just wasting your money like I did lol.

2016 Ninja H2 - CANADAS Fastest 1/4 - 8.34 at 169mph - 208.4mph in the mile. Brocks Performance Stage 2 Package, MC Cycle works Intercooler, Full Polished Slash-Cut Exhaust, DNA Filter, PC5, Brocks Lowering Links, Brocks Front Strap Kit, BST Rim, Adams Performance Swingarm 7-11", Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen, Evotech Radiator Guard, Evotech Fork Sliders, Yoshimura Tail Tidy

2011 ZX10R - SOLD
post #15 of 42 Old 04-06-2015, 06:01 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
I appreciate the input. But, they make ceramic wheel bearings specifically for motorcycles I believe.
Yes, they sure do. I wasn't saying they were only available for bicycles, just that for your motorcycle you probably won't realize much of a change, and the sealed ball bearings that come with the bike are much more robust and tolerant of contamination. But if you go for it, let us know how it works for ya!
post #16 of 42 Old 04-07-2015, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED View Post
You got it! I spent a fair bit of coin on transmission and wheel bearings and it did NOTHING! Bike gained no mph anywhere.

Stay away from the ceramic bearings man. Unfortunately you would be just wasting your money like I did lol.
Yikes. Not what I wanted to hear. They must work though if they have good reviews and are $400, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Fang View Post
Yes, they sure do. I wasn't saying they were only available for bicycles, just that for your motorcycle you probably won't realize much of a change, and the sealed ball bearings that come with the bike are much more robust and tolerant of contamination. But if you go for it, let us know how it works for ya!
Gotcha. Sorry, I guess I read your post wrong. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
I have the world wide ceramic wheel bearings. They work great, but the bearings alone won't make a huge difference.

Everyone always hates on me when I say this but super-light wheels and bearings don't make a huge difference; At least in road racing. Now I'm not saying you won't notice them....just that I'd have everything else like suspension and geometry dialed in before I bought some couple hundred dollar bearings. I've had BST's, marchesinis and a set of OZ wheels with worldwide bearings in all of them...no failures.
Definitely notated. My bike is lowered 2" in the front and 1.5" in the rear. I also have a Gen.1 Hayabusa front fender on the bike. As you can probably tell, I like to do top speed runs. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridersdiscount View Post
Thanks, Mike! I think your free shipping is what will seal the deal if I decide to go with them. I'm just having mixed thoughts now based on some of the reviews with not making much of a difference. For $400 that doesn't seem too practical.
post #17 of 42 Old 04-07-2015, 05:51 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Yikes. Not what I wanted to hear. They must work though if they have good reviews and are $400, right?
If you had a race team and were looking for that one hundredth of a second, then yes they are worth it. However for you and me, not worth the coin at all. I am dead serious they did absolutely nothing. I did some 70+ passes last season at the track and there was no improvement in mph lol. Not until I dumped in MR12 lol.
SpazOnaZX and dudewhrsmybike like this.

2016 Ninja H2 - CANADAS Fastest 1/4 - 8.34 at 169mph - 208.4mph in the mile. Brocks Performance Stage 2 Package, MC Cycle works Intercooler, Full Polished Slash-Cut Exhaust, DNA Filter, PC5, Brocks Lowering Links, Brocks Front Strap Kit, BST Rim, Adams Performance Swingarm 7-11", Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen, Evotech Radiator Guard, Evotech Fork Sliders, Yoshimura Tail Tidy

2011 ZX10R - SOLD
post #18 of 42 Old 04-07-2015, 07:06 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

The amount of actual power that it takes to spin your wheel bearings is minuscule. Since there is not much drag there to begin with, there is not much to be gained by reducing it.

1/100 of a foot-pound of torque (estimate, probably high!) x 1000 rpm (in this range of road speed) = 0.002 horsepower ...

In a conventional (steel) ball bearing, most of the drag is from the seals and viscous drag from the grease. Let's say for argument's sake that half the drag is from the seals. If you really want that 0.001 horsepower then just buy shielded bearings from the bearing shop rather than full-contact rubber seals. BUT, life will be shortened because they are not fully sealed against water and dirt getting in, and lubricant getting out. Note: Ceramics are not tolerant of contamination and have to be sealed also. If the seals are the same then the drag will be the same ...

On my roadrace bike ... I use plain ordinary double contact sealed bearings from the bearing supply shop. Stock wheel bearings are only sealed on the outside. Using the double sealed bearings means less risk of contamination getting in when the axle is removed (e.g. for tire changes). The lower risk of trouble is worth the 0.001 horsepower in my case.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #19 of 42 Old 04-08-2015, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I appreciate all of the info. Since I am having my bearings removed for powder coating purposes, I was considering the ceramics. Is it true that I can't re-use my current OEM bearings/seals in the bike once they're taken out?
post #20 of 42 Old 04-08-2015, 01:04 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Is it true that I can't re-use my current OEM bearings/seals in the bike once they're taken out?
Yes, it's true. They are pressed into the wheel hub using the outer race. But to extract them, they have to be pulled out or beaten out using the inner race. That transfers the load through the ball bearings to the outer race and will deform the races and balls slightly. If anyone tells you they can get the bearings out and you can reuse them, they are full of shit.
SpazOnaZX and SelenaP like this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in