Does Ohlins FGRT 201 for ZX10R 2011-15 fit on GEN5 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 12-18-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Does Ohlins FGRT 201 for ZX10R 2011-15 fit on GEN5

I have Öhlins front fork FGRT 201 that i bought to my ZX10R 2011 but never installed it. https://www.ohlins.com/product-item/52676/

Now it´s time for my GEN 5 track bike build. One idea popped up, could i fit my Öhlins front fork on my GEN 5 instead of buying a cartridge kit? Will it be problems to use 2016 OEM wheels, discs and Brembo calipers with Ohlins fork?

I will not use OEM front fender holder because I plan to mount Fast Frank QC system for my front wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-18-2016, 08:42 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juh@ View Post
I have Öhlins front fork FGRT 201 that i bought to my ZX10R 2011 but never installed it. https://www.ohlins.com/product-item/52676/

Now it´s time for my GEN 5 track bike build. One idea popped up, could i fit my Öhlins front fork on my GEN 5 instead of buying a cartridge kit? Will it be problems to use 2016 OEM wheels, discs and Brembo calipers with Ohlins fork?

I will not use OEM front fender holder because I plan to mount Fast Frank QC system for my front wheel.
calipers bolt pattern are different , unless you want to use the calipers and rotors off your 2011
Juh@ likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-19-2016, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Can I use OEM wheels and discs with right caliper?

And there is still the question, which is best, Öhlins FGRT 201 och OEM forks with cartride kit? Öhlins would be cheaper an better looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiffeee View Post
calipers bolt pattern are different , unless you want to use the calipers and rotors off your 2011

post #4 of 16 Old 02-10-2017, 04:19 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juh@ View Post
Can I use OEM wheels and discs with right caliper?

And there is still the question, which is best, Öhlins FGRT 201 och OEM forks with cartride kit? Öhlins would be cheaper an better looking
The Ohlins would technically be better although I'm not sure that if you compared Ohlins cartridges to Ohlins forks you'd be able to tell a difference. Benefits of the full Ohlins forks are usually a better coating on the fork legs, overall more rigid and may have slightly longer travel and they do look badass. The only thing I can't answer is if there are any cartridge kits for the Gen 5 that take advantage of the nitrogen chamber? I know Ktech does not use the nitro and turns the forks into traditional style operation.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-10-2017, 05:06 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

How much for your Gen 5 forks?
post #6 of 16 Old 02-12-2017, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bun1t View Post
How much for your Gen 5 forks?
I´ll keep them (in case of bad luck)
post #7 of 16 Old 02-13-2017, 07:42 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by LossPrev View Post
The Ohlins would technically be better although I'm not sure that if you compared Ohlins cartridges to Ohlins forks you'd be able to tell a difference. Benefits of the full Ohlins forks are usually a better coating on the fork legs, overall more rigid and may have slightly longer travel and they do look badass. The only thing I can't answer is if there are any cartridge kits for the Gen 5 that take advantage of the nitrogen chamber? I know Ktech does not use the nitro and turns the forks into traditional style operation.
Just to clear up any confusion, the K-tech DDS forks do remove the nitrogen chamber but it does not turn the forks into a open cartridge fork (or traditional style).

Nitrogen in the forks is used to create back pressure in the cartridge. This eliminates cavitation and gives immediate damping response. The K-Tech DDS cartridges use a piston and spring instead of nitrogen to create the same back pressure as what nitrogen would use. So they are still considered "pressurized cartridges".

As to the question about FGRT forks vs OEM with Ohlins carts there are a few advantages of using FGRT forks like mentioned before. But most of the time OEM tubes with cartridges are used because they are the only thing that is legal for racing.
Juh@ likes this.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
post #8 of 16 Old 02-24-2017, 12:32 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

What is the preferred setup for roadracing/trackday purposes? How "good" is the stock setup? Are most folks adding a cartridge insert setup because that's what they're familiar with and/or that's what the "fast guys" are doing? I'm in the process of building mine, and would definitely appreciate hearing any thoughts and opinions. Thank you in advance, and I apologize for the quasi threadjack.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-24-2017, 04:42 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride & Joy View Post
What is the preferred setup for roadracing/trackday purposes? How "good" is the stock setup? Are most folks adding a cartridge insert setup because that's what they're familiar with and/or that's what the "fast guys" are doing? I'm in the process of building mine, and would definitely appreciate hearing any thoughts and opinions. Thank you in advance, and I apologize for the quasi threadjack.
We had a rider up here doing very well on the oem fork (had the valving/springs changed).

If it's in the budget (suspension is easily the biggest expense in my build) I'd look at a proper cartridge kit. Get stuff that is supported in your area.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-25-2017, 09:40 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks D. Which kit did you decide to go with? How do you like them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.