[Q] Gen 4: How to lower front end - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 10-04-2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

[Q] Gen 4: How to lower front end

Hi all.
I am Alan from Argentina and I lowered my 2013 Gen 4 Front end.
The problem I had, is that the Forks Under Holder, specificly the lower bolt, does not get tight because the forks are thinner in the lower zone.

I will upload some pictures so you can understand whata I am saying. Sory for my bad english haha.

The question is: The persons who lowered it, how do they did it?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-04-2017, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote9mm View Post
Hi all.
I am Alan from Argentina and I lowered my 2013 Gen 4 Front end.
The problem I had, is that the Forks Under Holder, specificly the lower bolt, does not get tight because the forks are thinner in the lower zone.

I will upload some pictures so you can understand whata I am saying. Sory for my bad english haha.

The question is: The persons who lowered it, how do they did it?

Thanks in advance.
Pics below

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 Old 10-04-2017, 09:47 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Did you lower the rear too?

2013 10R
2007 650R
2016 10R

post #4 of 17 Old 10-04-2017, 10:52 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Yes, you can not lower it that much be sliding the forks up into the triple tree like that. You can lower it some that way, but not as much as you've done. The reason being that the fork are a different diameter as you've found out. The other reason is the first bump you hit the forks will compress and smash the front fender into the front fairing. At best, you'll brake some plastic pieces. Worst case is you lock up the front tire and crash. If you are drag racing, then you should be strapping the front lower. If you're lowering it because you have short legs or think it looks good, then you need to get blocks for the soles of your boots and stop thinking that looks good. Or look at shortening/narrowing the seat instead. It's dangerous the way you have it right now.

You should not lower it outside of the wider portion of the fork.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #5 of 17 Old 10-04-2017, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victors View Post
Did you lower the rear too?
Not yet. I will check how it goes this way and if I need, I will buy the rear lowering link.
There is one adjustable that I can buy here in Argentina.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Yes, you can not lower it that much be sliding the forks up into the triple tree like that. You can lower it some that way, but not as much as you've done. The reason being that the fork are a different diameter as you've found out. The other reason is the first bump you hit the forks will compress and smash the front fender into the front fairing. At best, you'll brake some plastic pieces. Worst case is you lock up the front tire and crash. If you are drag racing, then you should be strapping the front lower. If you're lowering it because you have short legs or think it looks good, then you need to get blocks for the soles of your boots and stop thinking that looks good. Or look at shortening/narrowing the seat instead. It's dangerous the way you have it right now.

You should not lower it outside of the wider portion of the fork.
Thanks for the comment.
I saw some bikes in the forum that are lowered the same way, that why I am asking how do they did it.

About front fender, braking as hard as possible, the front fender did not touch the front fairing. I turn the compression/extension registers 1 turn clockwise to make it a little bit harder.

I will wait to others who have done it to check how do they did it.

Thanks for the comments guys!
post #6 of 17 Old 10-04-2017, 12:07 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

As others have mentioned you can't lower the front end that far. As Skydork mentioned you will hit the fender. In addition your tire is going to slam into your radiator causing more damage. While you are correct some bikes are lowered, they are not lowered to that extreme.

What exactly are you going to be using the bike for? This might gives us more direction on how to help you.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
post #7 of 17 Old 10-04-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by evallarta1 View Post
As others have mentioned you can't lower the front end that far. As Skydork mentioned you will hit the fender. In addition your tire is going to slam into your radiator causing more damage. While you are correct some bikes are lowered, they are not lowered to that extreme.

What exactly are you going to be using the bike for? This might gives us more direction on how to help you.
I know that I can shorten the springs inside the forks, but here in Argentina is not so easy to get some short springs. We have to send it from the Usa or Europe and it is very expensive.

It is for street riding and some drag racing too, I tried hard braking many times and the front fender does not touch the front fairing.

Keep waiting for other points of view.

Thanks again
post #8 of 17 Old 10-04-2017, 12:40 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote9mm View Post
I know that I can shorten the springs inside the forks, but here in Argentina is not so easy to get some short springs. We have to send it from the Usa or Europe and it is very expensive.

It is for street riding and some drag racing too, I tried hard braking many times and the front fender does not touch the front fairing.

Keep waiting for other points of view.

Thanks again
I run a suspension shop and do this every day. I see this kind of stuff all the time and I'm telling you, you will run into issues. But it seems you are looking for a specific answer, so I wish you the best of luck on getting that.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
post #9 of 17 Old 10-04-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by evallarta1 View Post
I run a suspension shop and do this every day. I see this kind of stuff all the time and I'm telling you, you will run into issues. But it seems you are looking for a specific answer, so I wish you the best of luck on getting that.
I know the issues I can have in the futuro.
My only concern is to know if the others did the same way or not.
Maybe the make some parts to put between the fork and the holder.

Thanks a lot for the answers, I am saying it really
post #10 of 17 Old 10-04-2017, 01:30 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

+2 for Skydork's comment. Re-shape the seat and make it narrower so you can put your feet down more easily and you won't have to lower it so much.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.