Why did Kawi make the Ninja 1000 and Z1000 so inferior to the ZX10R? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 09-07-2012, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Why did Kawi make the Ninja 1000 and Z1000 so inferior to the ZX10R?

I just dont get it. I went to the dealership yesterday and browsed through the new 2012 models. Why does Kawi waste their resources with these sub-par liter-bikes?
The Z1000 and Ninja 1000 are heavier, fatter, inferior suspension, inferior motor, inferior brakes, etc parked right next to a ZX10R. They are crappier all around, except they are more comfy for the long haul. I want to be more comfy on a Z1000 without giving up the superior performance of the ZX10R. WHY cant we get a semi-naked ZX10R with handlebars and no electronic gizmos? PLEASE!
Ten years ago, the 1st gen (2003) Z1000 had the same problems --they used a wimpy motor and inferior suspension with a crummy steel rubber-band frame. At least it looked cool. Many guys put ZX6R suspension on them (thankfully a direct swap) just to get it to handle.
From an accounting standpoint, doesnt it make more sense to produce a larger quantity of the SAME ZX10R parts they already designed and tooled up for, and then only change a few key things to make it comfy and call it a Z1000? Economy of scale.
Please Kawi, I hope you are listening. Because right now Im still riding my 04 ZX10R and it would be nice to see a new bike I actually lusted for. Im not 21 anymore; Im 31 years old now and ready for a naked superbike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 09-07-2012, 01:09 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Because they are cheaper are to build and have a lower MSRP for people who want to get a bike with a good level of performance without the price of a full-on race bike.

PS - I'm turning 40 in a few months and I'm nowhere near ready for a naked bike.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 41 Old 09-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Zx10r is kawasaki's flagship model. It's like the 7 series for BMW.

15 Camaro Z/28
16 BMW M5
Former bikes: 07 R1/08 10R/10 S1000rr/11 10R

post #4 of 41 Old 09-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Or get a 12 zx10r, sell plastics, install heli bars and boom naked bike.

15 Camaro Z/28
16 BMW M5
Former bikes: 07 R1/08 10R/10 S1000rr/11 10R
post #5 of 41 Old 09-07-2012, 02:22 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

well, there's a reason i have an fz1 for a street bike and not an r1, its more fun for the street, also more comfortable. if you buy new, it costs a few grand less too. the other bikes aren't built for the track
post #6 of 41 Old 09-07-2012, 05:04 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Because they are cheaper are to build and have a lower MSRP for people who want to get a bike with a good level of performance without the price of a full-on race bike.

PS - I'm turning 40 in a few months and I'm nowhere near ready for a naked bike.
Me either, 40 in October... but I must admit, for wheelie fun the Z1000 appeals.

I want to die while asleep like my grandfather,
not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

post #7 of 41 Old 09-07-2012, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I find it hard to believe that its cheaper to engineer, manufacture, and assemble entirely different parts compared to just manufacturing more of the good parts you already designed and tooled up for.
A good friend of mine has an 08 FZ1 (edit: had, it just got stolen a few weeks ago). It is nowhere near as powerful as the 08 R1, and the suspension is not near as good or adjustable for that matter. After you ride the 08 R1, the FZ1 feels fat and sluggish. Almost nerdy. Although it is easier to ride long distances due to the riding position. The Z1000 is the same story -- a lame duck after riding a ZX10R.
I guess street-fighter ZX10R is still the only option for now. I just dont want to have to build my own when the Z1000 should already be that bike.
Get with it Kawasaki. Give us the 425lb 160hp/75ft-lb hooligan Z1000 that we want!
post #8 of 41 Old 09-07-2012, 05:29 PM
BigCat for Prez!

Posting Frequency

-1,+5 that is all

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
in reference to the man card issue, let me clarify it for everyone, " If a man builds a 1000 bridges and sucks one cock, that doesnt make him a bridge builder, it makes him a cock sucker..."
My bike is the fattest and slowest of all the G2s
post #9 of 41 Old 09-07-2012, 06:42 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns04ZX10R View Post
I find it hard to believe that its cheaper to engineer, manufacture, and assemble entirely different parts compared to just manufacturing more of the good parts you already designed and tooled up for.
A good friend of mine has an 08 FZ1 (edit: had, it just got stolen a few weeks ago). It is nowhere near as powerful as the 08 R1, and the suspension is not near as good or adjustable for that matter. After you ride the 08 R1, the FZ1 feels fat and sluggish. Almost nerdy. Although it is easier to ride long distances due to the riding position. The Z1000 is the same story -- a lame duck after riding a ZX10R.
I guess street-fighter ZX10R is still the only option for now. I just dont want to have to build my own when the Z1000 should already be that bike.
Get with it Kawasaki. Give us the 425lb 160hp/75ft-lb hooligan Z1000 that we want!
well, to enlighten you a little. the fz1's have the previous gen r1 engines in them, that are also de-tuned slightly for around town ridability instead of top end power. the suspension is adjustable, i'll go take pictures of the stock suspension on mine if you don't believe me. yes, the sport bike r1 is a better handling bike than a standard sport tourer bike, the fz1 only weighs about 30 pounds more as well. so yes, it is cheaper to make because there really isn't any engineering going into the bike, it's older technology.

why do people not understand not all bikes are made the same

Last edited by nakedinseattle; 09-07-2012 at 06:46 PM.
post #10 of 41 Old 09-07-2012, 07:50 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Well considering the amount of money these company's spend, and the amount of engineers they likely have on staff, they probably know more than you. So while it may "seem" illocigal to you, they are doing it this way for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
Unless Scout says dont do it. Then, really, just do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
I know its blistering fast but you cant outrun ugly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.