Why did Kawi make the Ninja 1000 and Z1000 so inferior to the ZX10R? - Page 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 Old 09-30-2012, 03:39 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRMAN View Post
Actually you are wrong. The current FZ1 does have 20 valves. I checked Yamaha's website to confirm it.
Let me clear this up. I used to own a 06 FZ1 naked, the bike uses the 04-06 5 valve R1 motor with a heavier crank and detuned. I brought the bike unseen and was very disappointed, i wont go into the specifics because there is a list long!!! but i had to spend about 2k on exhaust, gearing and fuelling just to make the thing perform similar to R1. The stock suspension is laughable, i ended up doing an R1 fork conversion with radial brakes, Ohlins rear shock and steering dampner as the FZ1 doesnt come with one. After spending the better part of 4-5k i had a sweet bike. In heinsight i should have streetfighted an R1 it would have been a hell of a lot cheaper!!!.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 Old 09-30-2012, 08:05 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I bought my 2003 for 3400 back when it would cost twice that to buy a 600cc sportbike of the same year. I love the bike.....after putting full 636 suspension, full exhaust, ZX10R tb conversion, altered gearing, pc3, innovate tuning, etc, etc, etc. OK maybe it would be cheaper to fighter out a sport bike. Although, I really like my bike. Nobody knows what it is at this point. Why do people ride 50 year old bikes? It is just cool that's why.
To be fair, I don't really get the new Zeds. I rode a new one and it feels like mine with all the mods on it, but I feel like the price is pretty comparable to the flagship models (What is 14000 if you are spending 12000 anyway) and you aren't that unique if you bought it right off the showroom floor. The naked zed isn't comfortable enough to really tour and you have to mod the Ninja1000 to make it bearable so I would just get two different bikes.
post #23 of 41 Old 10-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I had my choice of a 2011 zx10r and a 2012 Ninja 1000. There was about a 1500.00 difference in price (after discounts), but that was not a deal maker.

I ended up choosing the Ninja and not the 10r. For sure, the 10r is superior in weight and power, but for what I need the bike to do, its not as good. A small fuel tank and lack of comfort is a big deal to me, and the 10r has both of these issues.

One machine was built to be a great streetbike. The other built to be Kawasaki's Superbike racer.

As far as street performance, riding a Ninja 650 at its limits would be a great way to lose a drivers license.

post #24 of 41 Old 10-01-2012, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
I had my choice of a 2011 zx10r and a 2012 Ninja 1000. There was about a $1500.00 difference in price
So would you have paid the extra $1500 if the Ninja 1000 had the full-blown ZX10R motor and suspension? I know I would!

Quote:
As far as street performance, riding a Ninja 650 at its limits would be a great way to lose a drivers license.
LOL! I could lose my license on a ninja 250 if I chose to be a dumbass.

The whole point of this thread was to call out Kawi for flaunting 1000cc bikes that dont have the power or suspension we have come to expect from a 1000cc bike. I LOVE the idea of the Ninja 1000 being more comfortable and streetable, holding more fuel, etc. Just give me the fully adjustable suspension and the 10R motor PLEASE! Even if its older technology (like 1st-3rd gen 10R) it would still be a lot better than the sub-par crap they are passing off for $1500 bucks less than the 2012 flagship model....
post #25 of 41 Old 10-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Build this:

problem solved Either that or buy a tuono
post #26 of 41 Old 10-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns04ZX10R View Post
So would you have paid the extra $1500 if the Ninja 1000 had the full-blown ZX10R motor and suspension? I know I would!

The whole point of this thread was to call out Kawi for flaunting 1000cc bikes that dont have the power or suspension we have come to expect from a 1000cc bike. I LOVE the idea of the Ninja 1000 being more comfortable and streetable, holding more fuel, etc. Just give me the fully adjustable suspension and the 10R motor PLEASE! Even if its older technology (like 1st-3rd gen 10R) it would still be a lot better than the sub-par crap they are passing off for $1500 bucks less than the 2012 flagship model....
That is really my point. I don't like riding on a full blown sport bike unless I am in the twisties. That is why I love my Z. I just had to spend a crap ton of cash to get the bike to perform well enough to enjoy the bike when I want to hit it hard. It would be cheaper and easier to mod a sportbike to be comfy than to upgrade the Ninja1000/Z1000.
Raised clip ons, adjustable pegs, seat and taller windscreen and you are pretty much done. All for less than the cost of new front forks.
post #27 of 41 Old 10-01-2012, 07:50 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
I just dont get it. I went to the dealership yesterday and browsed through the new 2012 models. Why does Kawi waste their resources with these sub-par liter-bikes?
The Z1000 and Ninja 1000 are heavier, fatter, inferior suspension, inferior motor, inferior brakes, etc parked right next to a ZX10R. They are crappier all around, except they are more comfy for the long haul. I want to be more comfy on a Z1000 without giving up the superior performance of the ZX10R. WHY cant we get a semi-naked ZX10R with handlebars and no electronic gizmos? PLEASE!
Ten years ago, the 1st gen (2003) Z1000 had the same problems --they used a wimpy motor and inferior suspension with a crummy steel rubber-band frame. At least it looked cool. Many guys put ZX6R suspension on them (thankfully a direct swap) just to get it to handle.
From an accounting standpoint, doesnt it make more sense to produce a larger quantity of the SAME ZX10R parts they already designed and tooled up for, and then only change a few key things to make it comfy and call it a Z1000? Economy of scale.
Please Kawi, I hope you are listening. Because right now Im still riding my 04 ZX10R and it would be nice to see a new bike I actually lusted for. Im not 21 anymore; Im 31 years old now and ready for a naked superbike!

The vast majority of motorcycle riders dont even consider supersport bikes when selecting a bike anyhow. Its obviously profitable for Kaw to produce the z1000 and Ninja 1k or else they wouldnt exist. Shit, many folks spend 2x the cost of a new 10r on REAL old technology (harley)...

2016 GSX-S1000
08 10r Sold
post #28 of 41 Old 10-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:

For sure I would have paid the extra 1500.00 for the more powerful motor and better suspension. It a lot easier, and cheaper, to buy it first rather than trying to upgrade later. If I were dealing with list price though, the difference would have been closer to 3000.00, and I would not have spent that much. The extra 3k would have bough a nice dedicated track bike I coudl afford to crash!

But, the manufacturers wont build it that way. To do so would probably kill sales of the two bikes they based the new one on. Especially for someone like myself whos previous injuries make riding a stock zx10r impossible.

On paper, the ninja 1000 does not make a lot of sense, especially in performance and weight. But, it ends being a great street bike. Light..enough...fast enough...
post #29 of 41 Old 04-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I know im reviving an old thread but I find myself feeling the same frustration regarding these bikes (z1000sx) why cant the z1000 have the same engine as my gen3? I like everything about the sx except the lazy engine.
I want a bike that is comfortable for me and my pillion when i ride distance,but i want this same bike to seem like its out to kill me when im riding like a hooligan
post #30 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

You have to get the new Tuono if you want a naked that performs like a superbike. I don't consider a naked bike good for long distance either. They do not have that much bigger gas tanks and wind blast blows after riding for a while. They make good around town street bikes/commuting to work but need upgrades for the track. I had an '06 FZ1 before my ZX10R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.