LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-20-2011, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Talking My Review- 2011 Ninja 1000

Taken off another site, but this is my review. Also soon after release

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwrl View Post
First off, I would like to thank Kawasaki America for allowing me to take out this machine for two days. I would also like to thank RMC for there help with allowing me to have this experience.

When I got the news that a new demo 2011 Ninja 1000 was getting dropped off at our service bay, I had to go check it out. When I arrived at the service bay a beautiful black ebony/red Ninja 1000 was awaiting. It has the lines of a dragon, just sharp and angry looking. Aesthetically speaking I was impressed in person.

Looking over it, you could not ignore the clip-ons. They looked like they had been taken off of a Concours and shrunk a bit to fit this bike. But nonetheless Kawasaki did a great job making it look normal. I threw my leg over it and was expecting to have to struggle a bit to get it to stand up, but it took me by surprise how easy it was to pick up.

Later that day, I signed all the paperwork in order to take it out for a ride. I was expecting at the most a half an hour with the bike, but after I handed the paperwork in my boss looks at me an says, "See you tomorrow!".

YES!

I geared up, grabbed the keys and headed over to the bike. Before taking off and riding I wanted to just go over the bike in detail, to know what I was riding. The tire set-up was literally just taken off the zx-10r. Same Battlax tires, same 190/55 rear. The suspension was not anything race bread, but the inverted forks and horizontally mounted shock absorber looked like they could handle the streets having a decent range of preload and damping adjustments. I did not fiddle with the set-up though, as I was way to excited to hit the open road.

Turning the bike on, the instrument panel was almost identical to the zx-6r. Main difference was there was a gas gauge and the numbers being a tad bit bigger. The bike is also fairly quite, and does not vibrate at idle, which was a huge surprise, knowing that Kawasaki has always had issues with vibration and fairing rattle, or at least in my experience.

After warming the bike up, I clicked into first gear and took off. First reaction was, wow that was smooth. The bike does not lunge, nor does it stutter, the clutch was very easy to use and it just goes. Running through a few gears I also noticed that it shifted quite smoothly. I didn't get that clunky response that I always get from my zx10.

My favorite aspect of the bike was the riding position, how non aggressive and laid back it was. It felt like a tourer, yet was not bulky. Coming to a stop, I did notice the front brakes were a tiny bit soggy. I don't know if I'm just use to riding a bike with better brakes or there was just enough front suspension travel to make it feel uneasy. Nonetheless, the front brakes seemed to get better down the road.

Getting on to the freeway on-ramp was just so darn easy. The bike even in brake in period has all of its grunt right bellow the mid-range, and carries it on through the mid-range. It was just so cool to shift into every gear and still have the bike pull so hard. Clicking up into 6th and cruising at freeway speeds was so easy. Passing was also something else, I did not need to down shift, the bike just pulls and goes in 6th like nothing I have ever felt. Even my ten won't pull that hard at that set rpm.

Arriving home, I had a huge smile on my face, and I really did not want to park it! So I called a friend, Jack, and asked him if he wanted to go riding around town. We agreed to meet at my place and do a small tour around some side streets. Mind you the time was around nine at night, so the sun had set, and I wasn't going to go rail this new bike.

Waiting for him, I went over the bike again to see if I missed anything, and sure enough, I forgot about the adjustable windscreen. So, I clicked the screen to the "vertical" position, and would test it out while I was out on my quick jaunt with jack.

Jack arrived on his 09 cbr600rr, and we took off to go find some quick roads to hit. We ended up in a small twisty road right between Lynnwood, Shoreline and Terrace. As we went through the small "twisties" I could not help but notice how easy the bike was to just stick into any direction. For a 500+ pound bike that was a big deal to me. It really was not a super sport, but for the street you could not ask for anything more enjoyable. I was upright, relaxed and having fun! Usually on a super-sport riding the street it feels more like strict business to me. The Ninja was more like riding a high performance scooter, and that's not a bad thing. No strain on my wrists and upper back, and all the guts you can ask for.

Realistically, the ninja 1000 would be great for someone looking to upgrade from a 600 or move up to an "intermediate" bike. Its not advance science in anyway, the bike is simple, looks good, and rides great. I could imagine a college student on one of these, or someone who has at least a 80 mile commute. The bike truly performs for its intended purpose, the street. The gearing is set up for exactly where you want to be, and the power is no overwhelming. Don't get me wrong though, this is no Ninja 650r in anyway, you mistreat this dragon and it will eat you and spit you out hard. Getting on the bike hard will rip your skin off, its that fast. Also being in the upright position, the "g-forces" are more immense, almost like your in a high performance car, it lunges you back and all you can do is hang on. But believe me, being easy on the throttle, the thing makes for one enjoyable commute, and when your ready to fight the weekend, you have a perfect weapon.

Another great thing about the bike was the fact that it got great gas mileage for what it was. No your not gonna get 75 miles per gallon or anything like that, but your wallet wont be light by the end of the week. The gas gauge is great, the only thing I noticed though was there was no gas light, once the bar got low, that means you need to get gas, I might be wrong, but I kept waiting and waiting for a light and nothing ever turned on, so I just pulled into a Shell.

Heading back home after the ride with Jack I took a side road, The road was very uneven, and there was light construction, going through it was amazing though. Not that the ninja is a off-road bike or anything like that, but the suspension travel made the bumpy road very soft and cushy. I thought that was a sweet benefit.

Recapping back on the windscreen, in the upright position there was a lot less wind noise, but my helmet would still shake from the wind the same it did the the screen down, so it is a novel idea, and a aftermarket screen would do wonders, but the stock one was well, stock. It still offered great protection but I could see myself changing that if I were ever to purchase the 1000.

Having the Ninja for the two days was an incredible experience, and I can see myself owning one of these in the future if I had the funds. Its gentle when you want it to be, and a dragon when your on the throttle. It screams in the mid-range in every gear, which is great for highway commuting, and it cuts through corners like a knife. The bike might just be one of the best purpose bread "street" bikes out there.

Hopefully I will get a few more bikes to try out down the road, but for now, I'm convinced that the Ninja 1000 was a great bike. Kawasaki did a great job! Thanks again team green!

(This just in, Honda might be throwing me the keys to a cbr250r, and the new cb1000! sweet)

Some repost pics from my last thread.

Some stats on the bike of the kawi site:

Engine Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, inline-four

Displacement 1,043cc

Bore x Stroke 77.0 x 56.0 mm

Compression Ratio 11.8:1

Fuel System DFI® with four 38mm Keihin throttle bodies, oval sub-throttles

Ignition TCBI with digital advance

Transmission Six-speed

Final Drive X-ring Chain

Rake/Trail 24.5deg / 4.0 in.

Front Tire Size 120/70 ZR17

Rear Tire Size 190/55 ZR17

Wheelbase 56.9 in.

Front Suspension / wheel travel 41 mm inverted cartridge fork with stepless compression and rebound damping, adjustable spring preload / 4.7 in.

Rear Suspension / wheel travel Horizontal monoshock with stepless rebound damping, adjustable spring preload / 5.4 in.

Front Brakes Dual 300mm petal-type rotors with radial-mount four-piston calipers

Rear Brakes Single 250mm petal-type rotor with single-piston caliper

Fuel Capacity 5.0 gal.

Seat Height 32.3 in.

Curb Weight 502.7 lbs.

Overall length 82.9 in.

Overall width 31.1 in.

Overall height 48.4 in.

Color Choices Ebony, Candy Fire Red / Ebony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

For the weight, price, power, just get a used zx10r and throw some handlebar on it. You wont get the fuel capacity, but it's a cheaper bike, lighter and more power. Still don't see why they detuned the 10 engine for a bike that's heavier.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-20-2011, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrico vespa View Post
For the weight, price, power, just get a used zx10r and throw some handlebar on it. You wont get the fuel capacity, but it's a cheaper bike, lighter and more power. Still don't see why they detuned the 10 engine for a bike that's heavier.
Unfortunatly this statement makes no sence.

Ninja 1000 is an apple Zx-10r is an Orange?

Are you trying to imply that a used zx-10r would be cheaper? Why yes so would a 1999 honda civic...and I would get air conditioning!!!

The Ninja 1000 shares only one thing with the Ninja zx-10r, the word ninja.

The Ninja 1000 is a 1043cc Liquid cooled four-stroke motor running Bore x Stroke 77.0 x 56.0 mm & Compression Ratio 11.8:1 w/ Fuel System
DFI® with four 38mm Keihin throttle bodies, oval sub-throttles

The zx10
Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, inline-four
Displacement 998cc Bore x Stroke 76.0 x 55.0 mm Compression Ratio 12.9:1
Fuel System DFI with 43mm Keihin throttle bodies with oval sub-throttles, two injectors per cylinder....

hmmm, that's odd, I don's see de-tuned zx10 motor anywhere in those specs... They are completely different motors!

The Ninja 1000 was developed for crisp mid-range flat torque that would absolutely shred the zx10r... As far as mid-range torque goes.

To get this power band out of the 10r you would have to spend butt-loads of money re-tuning the motor, finding a working sprocket set etc....

Let alone suspension set-up, the 1000 is not set up for track riding, so it has limited tuning, where as the zx has much more advanced suspension...and less about comfort and more about sheer responsiveness.

So no your statement is highly inaccurate... you can't go get an x-gen zx and throw some risers on it and have the same bike.

Last edited by skwrl; 09-20-2011 at 09:42 AM.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

You're right
post #5 of 10 Old 09-24-2011, 04:49 AM
Gen2 Ripper

Posting Frequency

The pic of the instrument cluster, there is a little gas pump on the screen. I would imagine it will blink once gas level reaches reserve. This bike is what the ZRX should have been. More modern components all around and lighter. Though at over 500lbs curb weight, the ninja 1k is no light weight. I wonder how much weight can be shed by replacing the mid pipes and both mufflers with a light weight, catless, and non boom box midpipe/muffler combo. On the older Z1k a savimgs of nearly 30lbs could be had. Drop in an ultra light Shorai battery, rear grab handle delete, rear peg delete, rear fender delete amd likely get curb weight down to 470-480lbs easily. Shedding 40lbs would make a HUGE difference in all around handling, braking, and acceleration. Now that would be a Ninja 1k

07-ZX10R-SOLD
, 1/5th insert, -1/+5,comp werkes decatted,PC3+multi-hub,piperX,30 dry shot,2custom maps,Ballistic EVO2,Pazzo shorties,SATO rearsets,HealTech,ZG Corsa,EBC XC Gen3 rotors,Vesrah pads, SS lines, Gen3 calipers, etc and stretched 8" so it won't flip
05-ZRX1200R-sold
04-KX500-sold
1975 RD350-garage queen
post #6 of 10 Old 09-24-2011, 01:51 PM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverendingmods View Post
Though at over 500lbs curb weight, the ninja 1k is no light weight. I wonder how much weight can be shed by replacing the mid pipes and both mufflers with a light weight, catless, and non boom box midpipe/muffler combo. On the older Z1k a savimgs of nearly 30lbs could be had. Drop in an ultra light Shorai battery, rear grab handle delete, rear peg delete, rear fender delete amd likely get curb weight down to 470-480lbs easily. Shedding 40lbs would make a HUGE difference in all around handling, braking, and acceleration. Now that would be a Ninja 1k
25# drop is close and it does make the bike transition a bit quicker, but the bike carries its weight very well. It handles much better and is much more responsive than my ZX14 was. The high wide bars contribute to this a bit I'd think. As for braking, the stock brakes are better than my 07 ZX10R with ZX14 calipers and steel braided lines although intial bite is a bit too aggressive for my taste. Street riding acceration is on par with any other liter bike into the early tripple digits and has beat'n a Gixxer 750 from a dig and roll on up to 140+. Plenty quick for a comfy bike I think. Mine will get 600+ miles 2-up tomorrow. Try that on your ZX10R with a happy pillian.

2011 Ninja 1K street
2004 636 track
post #7 of 10 Old 10-28-2011, 03:03 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Since I have a dedicated track bike, this might just be the ticket for a fun street bike. Hmmmm.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-22-2011, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by miykl View Post
25# drop is close and it does make the bike transition a bit quicker, but the bike carries its weight very well. It handles much better and is much more responsive than my ZX14 was. The high wide bars contribute to this a bit I'd think. As for braking, the stock brakes are better than my 07 ZX10R with ZX14 calipers and steel braided lines although intial bite is a bit too aggressive for my taste. Street riding acceration is on par with any other liter bike into the early tripple digits and has beat'n a Gixxer 750 from a dig and roll on up to 140+. Plenty quick for a comfy bike I think. Mine will get 600+ miles 2-up tomorrow. Try that on your ZX10R with a happy pillian.
congrats on the new ride! I wish you many comfortable and happy miles! :D
post #9 of 10 Old 01-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Smile Ninja 1000

I know this posting is older, but I couldnt help replying. As I too have the same color scheme Ninja k and loved the reply to " just slap some risers on a ZX-10R. I must say well worded! I owned a 10R right before purchasing my Ninja and the two machines are night and day, worlds apart! I tried making my beloved 10R more comfortable, I installed risers, I tried different pegs, I even added soft padded Grampa style grips, a tank bag and saddle bags. But the 10R is and always will be a hard core sport bike closer to race than street, and unrideable for more than 200 miles, especially 2up. The Ninja k is outstandingly comfortable even on rough roads, a 300 to 400 mile stint fuel barring would be no problem on this bike. No longer do I suffer stiff neck/sore wrist syndrome. It handles nearly as well as my 10R, and goes like a bat outa hell! I do not miss the " so called power" of the old 10R, this bike is that good! It has gobs of torque from just over 1k rpm all the way too roughly 7'800 rpm. and your going nearly as fast as the 10R doing it. And yes I think it will smoke (just barely) a 10R out of the hole due too this torque advantage. As far as its weight I have compared it side by side (stationary) to the 2012 ZX10R and picking it up off the kick stand and moving it side to side seems to feel roughly the same. This bike hides its weight and carries it well! Even two up does not unballance this machine, as it did on my 10R. The frame would actually flex ever so slightly on me when ridden agressively two up. And further more to address the said weight issue with the Ninja K I removed the rear fender, ditched the entier exhaust in favor of a light weight stainless Ti/carbon set up, switched to stickier tires and Voiala'! Roughly 30 lb weight loss more power and carves through canyon corners like a super hero!
post #10 of 10 Old 07-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconrider View Post
I know this posting is older, but I couldnt help replying. As I too have the same color scheme Ninja k and loved the reply to " just slap some risers on a ZX-10R. I must say well worded! I owned a 10R right before purchasing my Ninja and the two machines are night and day, worlds apart! I tried making my beloved 10R more comfortable, I installed risers, I tried different pegs, I even added soft padded Grampa style grips, a tank bag and saddle bags. But the 10R is and always will be a hard core sport bike closer to race than street, and unrideable for more than 200 miles, especially 2up. The Ninja k is outstandingly comfortable even on rough roads, a 300 to 400 mile stint fuel barring would be no problem on this bike. No longer do I suffer stiff neck/sore wrist syndrome. It handles nearly as well as my 10R, and goes like a bat outa hell! I do not miss the " so called power" of the old 10R, this bike is that good! It has gobs of torque from just over 1k rpm all the way too roughly 7'800 rpm. and your going nearly as fast as the 10R doing it. And yes I think it will smoke (just barely) a 10R out of the hole due too this torque advantage. As far as its weight I have compared it side by side (stationary) to the 2012 ZX10R and picking it up off the kick stand and moving it side to side seems to feel roughly the same. This bike hides its weight and carries it well! Even two up does not unballance this machine, as it did on my 10R. The frame would actually flex ever so slightly on me when ridden agressively two up. And further more to address the said weight issue with the Ninja K I removed the rear fender, ditched the entier exhaust in favor of a light weight stainless Ti/carbon set up, switched to stickier tires and Voiala'! Roughly 30 lb weight loss more power and carves through canyon corners like a super hero!
Very well said... I do agree on your statement "10R is and always will be a hard core sport bike closer to race than street", to compare it with Ninja 1000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.