Kawasaki ZX-10R.net - View Single Post - Gen 5: 2016 -> 2016 zx10r bad rod bearing with 717 miles on it
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 05-02-2018, 08:54 AM
SkyDork
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Wow! Hell of a first post! Sorry to see that video.

If you're not doing the work yourself, then you're going to have to find a Kawi shop to do the work. The other option is to find a used motor and swap it out. If you plan to take it to a shop, the cheapest option will be to buy and swap the motor. This is an expensive project!

After seeing that video and the bike riding around like that, there's going to be a lot of stuff damaged in there that may not be salvageable. It would've been better for you that once you heard and felt that happen, if you pulled off the track, shut it down, and got it towed back to the pits. Continuing to nurse it back just beats the crank to shit!

So, you'll need to pull the crank out and have it inspected to see if it's still straight. If so, the journals can be repaired. That work in itself will run you around $1,000. Add to that, new connecting rods, bearings, seals, and miscellaneous parts, and the total bill will be around $2000. That all assumes that you didn't damage a piston and/or valve during all that. Tack on more money for a cylinder head and valves if so and they need to be inspected. Of course, a engine tear down job like this at the dealership will run the bill up just on the labor alone. You see where I'm going with this? If you can find a shop to do the work for under $4,000 parts and labor, that would be a good price. Engine swaps can be done quicker, but the going rate of a decent used motor will be over the $3k mark.

Good luck with it all.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome