Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Contemplating selling and upgrading

3K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Mo@ninja10r 
#1 ·

So I ran into this at the local bike shop yesterday and it got me thinking.... my bike only has 3200 miles on it and the arata exhaust would move over to the gen 5 no problem.... I wonder what I can get for my 2012.........

I hate wanting new toys... maybe I’ll wait to see what Kawasaki has to offer in the next generation, and if they’ll get off their asses to catch up with an updated display...

I’ve been overseas for a long time, so I’ll ask here. How much are these RR’s usually going for these days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#6 ·
Hi mate,you have a lot invested in your gen4 making it your own!look at the benefits of the gen5 over yours with suspension and hp!havent you got Ohlins all round and how much hp gain maybe 10?if your willing to drop a sh.tload of money changing over it's your personal call

#7 ·
2012 with only 3,200 miles? :surprise:

My gosh, it seems to me that you've got a lot of enjoyment to still wring out of your Gen 4. Why get a newer bike and lose all that money when you don't have enough time to ride in the first place.

Keep the Gen 4!

#9 ·
2012 with only 3,200 miles? :surprise:

My gosh, it seems to me that you've got a lot of enjoyment to still wring out of your Gen 4. Why get a newer bike and lose all that money when you don't have enough time to ride in the first place.

Keep the Gen 4!

I didn’t have time to ride it because I was always deployed... now that that’s not an issue I can log plenty of miles.

Will probably keep the gen 4 anyway. It’s the shiny new toy situation in effect.

#10 ·
Yes I no it's all about having the newest and the best in everything!tbh if you buy any new current bike you loose big money as soon as it's out the dealers door!$5000 boom gone!thats a Sh.tload of mods to be thrown at last years model!I will not and can't sell mine because I will never be able to replace the time,effort and cash involved so it's a keeper!I will buy another bike before my body gives up just to try something different but it will stay stock and leave my gen4 on the mantle piece!

#13 ·
3k miles is three months of riding here. My first thought is that you better have the extended warranty; check this dealer:

Contact - D & H CYCLE

call them to clear details.

Next thought is that my next super is going to be the cbr as its weight is what I'm close to being used to and I'm kinda 10r shy after two engine failures and now off the bike near six months even with warranty covering everything.

But, if you don't ride much, doesn't really matter what you do; do what you want.

#15 ·
I’m pretty much in the same mindset. But in the same thought process, why throw parts at something I don’t plan on racing as well. I like the bling regardless of purpose.. I just like building things in general. Plus I do like the way the gen 5’s look over the gen 4.

I’m over it now. I’ll wait for the next generation 10R, or get tired of waiting and bite the bullet on the current R1. Kind of pissed that Kawasaki added an active suspension, and didn’t bother updating the 7-8 year old gauge cluster. Maybe I’m expecting too much but after seeing the new fireblade, GSXR, panigale, R1 displays, I feel like my gen 4 is severely updated.... I’ve also acknowledged that I could have a bit of a complex as well hahahah

#17 ·
Easy fix mate with a new dash!buy a Starlane or something similar instant happiness!$1000 dash $6000+extra late model bike

Ching Ching bling bling dash........

The voice of reason and the bane of my bank account! How’s it going over there peter? I was actually looking at the HM dash, I’ll start looking at the starlane.

#20 ·
Nice dash!plus comes with direct wiring gen4 adapter so no stuffing around!I have a Starlane quickshifter they are a quality brand

Comparing that and the HM dash now. Might be on the list as soon as I can source the ohlins forks. Couldn’t find anything on a fuel gauge on the starlane, but the HM has one. I know it’s trivial but i hate guessing how much I’ve got left if I forget to reset the trip meter.

F*ck it right? Full speed ahead to finish this bike off.

#22 ·
I’m leaning towards the HM as well. But it’s still not as easy on the eyes as what comes standard on the newer super sports.

I’m also contemplating getting a project cafe racer. Found an old Kawasaki for $100. Not running, but only needs and engine and transmission. I can probably build it to what I’d like for under $2.5K.... but it takes away from the zx-10r build if I jump on it.

So many choices+boredom= a pain in my ass.

#25 ·

So I ran into this at the local bike shop yesterday and it got me thinking.... my bike only has 3200 miles on it and the arata exhaust would move over to the gen 5 no problem.... I wonder what I can get
for my 2012.........
Go 4 it bro! This is all about enjoying life on two's, reason why we all own bikes!

I hate wanting new toys... maybe I’ll wait to see what Kawasaki has to offer in the next generation, and if they’ll get off their asses to catch up with an updated display...

I’ve been overseas for a long time, so I’ll ask here. How much are these RR’s usually going for these days?

Go for it bro! This is about enjoying life on two's, reason why we all own motorcycle's

#26 ·
If I had right now the money for a new bike....

I would wait for the next gen....
gen5 is a improvement over gen4, not a new redesign...

there are new things that are NEW in the bike world...
LCD displays (R1)
counter rotating cranks (V4 panigale)
finger followers valve actuators (R1, bmw, gsxr)

I see a gen5 as the pinnacle of the last gen bikes, so good that is unbeatable still but...

#27 ·
If I had right now the money for a new bike....

I would wait for the next gen....
gen5 is a improvement over gen4, not a new redesign...

there are new things that are NEW in the bike world...
LCD displays (R1)

counter rotating cranks (V4 panigale)
finger followers valve actuators (R1, bmw, gsxr)

I see a gen5 as the pinnacle of the last gen bikes, so good that is unbeatable still but...
Interesting can't wait to see this. I maybe up for a new bike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.