Kawasaki ZX-10R.net - View Single Post - Brand New Bike - Crashed!!!
View Single Post
post #69 of Old 08-22-2017, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider
Posting Frequency
Originally Posted by 07_ZX10R View Post
Damn, that's rough. Nothing worth than accident like that that wasn't really your fault. Hope you heal up. I went down back in May. Slide shoulder first into a curb, snapped my left clavicle (collarbone). It was pretty rough at first but it gets better. You're bike will be up and running soon. Just gotta take care of your injuries and heal up.
Hi 07_ZX10R. Sorry to hear about your accident. Same hear, left clavicle broken as well as my left radial head (elbow/forearm joint) and left AC joint. Hurts like a son of a bitch even after 25 days, but it is getting better day by day. Insurance deemed the bike a total loss so I'll be getting a check to cover the cost - pretty much exactly what I spent on it minus the $500 deductible.

Even though the accident wasn't my fault, having had some time to reflect on the situation, and gaining insight from posts on the thread, I've come to realize that it could have been avoided if I had secured the zippers with some kind of wire/thread or locking mechanism. But as they say, if I only knew then what I know now. Looking forward to getting back to riding when I'm healed and ready, but now I have an even greater appreciation of the risks of riding and the consequences of crashing at high speeds regardless of the cause. In past crashes I never ended up injured to the point where I couldn't ride within a week or so, nor totaled the bike, and I didn't have to deal with the astronomical medical costs. The new insurance system (Obamacare) screws people like me in a certain income range (self-employed, small business owner). While I appreciate that my daughter gets great coverage (thanks to New York Child Health Plus), I end up with a $4,000 deductible and once I fork out that amount I only get up to 50% coverage after that and only if I seek medical care from "in-network" systems and doctors. So now crashing and getting injured has an immediate and long-lasting medical financial consequence and we're not even talking about the economic consequences of not being able to work or only being able to work in a reduced capacity.

Last edited by cmbnyc; 08-22-2017 at 12:35 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome