Kawasaki ZX-10R.net - View Single Post - Brand New Bike - Crashed!!!
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 07-29-2017, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
cmbnyc
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Brand New Bike - Crashed!!!

Got discharged from hospital yesterday and won't have use of my left arm for awhile.

Two days ago, after waiting close to a month, I finally picked up my brand new, leftover 2014 ZX10R with ABS. The bike was stunning and I was very much looking forward to a new chapter of motorcycle ownership. This was my 2nd litre superbike among dozens of bikes I've owned in the past 30 years. Well shit happens, the bike went down and I ended up in the trauma ward.

So this is the story behind the crash. It had been raining lightly and I had my rain gear on. Then it cleared up and got warm so I pulled over and put my rain gear in my backpack along with my motorcycle jacket liner. I completely zip closed the backpack. Over an hour later as I'm doing about 60 mph the bike's rear wheel locks up and I'm fishtailing madly for a few seconds and then get thrown off. Lost most of my memory of what happened next until the ambulance arrived. While being loaded into the ambulance the police officer pointed out to me the cause of the crash. My jacket liner somehow slipped out of my backpack, made its way down toward the rear of the bike and got tangled in the rear wheel causing a catastrophic rear wheel lockup. I believe I had just over 100 miles on the odometer.

I'm getting the bike transported from the tow company to my local Kawasaki dealer and will soon find out how bad the damage is. Spoke to the tow company guy today and he said the bike looks bad.

So, while I wait for my arm, ribs and collarbone to heal, and wait to hear the insurance company's verdict, I have plenty of time to contemplate on whether to get another ZX10R or something else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2034a.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	725.2 KB
ID:	403106   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2053b.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	403114  

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome