Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Thinking About a Gen 3 or 4

Gen 4: 2011-15 
2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  SNSSTR 
#1 ·
Hey guys, been a while since I posted here...about a year actually, my wreck was back in April of last year.

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new bike and I'm trying to make sure I'm getting a good deal. This is a good bit above what I was looking to spend, but its the gen I want.

2012 ZX10 green/black with ABS, 11k miles, he told me its 'chipped' (I assume PCV or something), also says it has a full two brothers exhaust but appears to be just a shorty slip on unless they sold the short muffler with a full exhaust, green underglow leds (don't care about these), frame sliders, pretty new tires and chain.

He says the lowest he'll go is $7500. Now $7500 for a 12 seems like a good deal, especially for a 12 with ABS (never had a bike with ABS and not sure if I want it or not), but I'm not 100% sure either...Is it a good deal if everything checks out? Anything I should specifically look for?

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks! I plan to go look at it later this week, so hopefully it is what he says it is.

If it is flashed vs a power commander, I'll probably see if I can get a gen 4 harness for the woolich flash box I have leftover from my gen 3 stuff so I can verify everything or at least reflash it myself.

#4 ·
That seems like a good deal. I'd go ABS, why? Simply because of the off chance that you need to brake suddenly in an emergency situation. The ABS might save your life.

#5 ·
g4 over all older 10r's. 7500 is high for our bike at that year; I can report that my '11 blew up the fork seals and blew up a crank bearing, about 30k miles and right at 50k miles, respectively. The '13 fork seals are way better and it now has close to or past 65000 miles of tough twists. My point is that I'm not sure if the '12 is better than the '11 or anywhere near the '13. BUT if you don't know how to ride of never ride get the '12 as it won't matter.

ofc, do whatever you want.

#6 ·
Thanks re the advice and insight. I do plan on riding it, I'm in Memphis so the riding season is most of the year. I can't say I'll ride it as hard as it deserves but it will get ridden.

Fork seals aren't too bad but a crank bearing wouldnt be fun at all.

So if $7500 is high for a 12, what should I be trying to spend for one with about 10k miles? I am pretty much sold on not getting a gen 3, but I haven't found a whole lot of gen 4's for less than 7500-8000. And $7500 is about $1500 more than I wanted to spend in the first place, so I'm already in the dog house haha

#10 ·
Forks seals are a maintenance item and very subjective. Crank blowing sucks but not indicative of the Gen 4 any year. ABS, yes.

Personally, I don't think $7500 would be a bad price with the maintenance items like tires and chain out of the way for now. I wouldn't sweat the full exhaust or not it has great stock headers. FWIW I paid $7600 for my '11 sold new in '13 with 2900 miles MINT shape full Akro and custom dyno flash, a couple of months ago and added tires and chain. Looked around for quite awhile before finding it.

#11 ·
Thanks guys. Ive got two I'm interested in now. One is the one from the first post but I found out on my own that it doesn't have ABS even though the guy said it did. I don't know if he will lower the price because of that or not. The other one is 7 hours away but it's an 11 non-abs with only 3000 miles.

#13 ·
Ok, so this is the bike I'm going to look at tonight. The guy is adamant that is has ABS, but he cited that because it has tone rings, which, from my understanding, are for traction control, so all the gen 4's have them.

I have been looking more at the rear brake line routing. His rear brake line goes straight to the rear master, whereas I think the ABS models go from rear brake to the ABS distribution block.

Here's a pic of his:

And here's a pic of what I think the ABS line routing is supposed to be..?

Am I right? Or does his bike have ABS? lol

#14 ·
Your picture is very blurry and hard to see for me. There are several ways to tell if a bike has abs feature.

4.The "Gas Pump Light" is the "ABS Light" in the bottom right corner or the instrument panel.

3. on a 2011 Gen4, the VIN will have "zxck" in it if it is an ABS bike. "zxcj" is the NONabs bike.

2. an ABS bike will also have "KIBBS" written vertically next to the forks on the front fender.. unless he replaced it with a non abs fender or he removed the sticker.

1. The KIBS control unit which is visible behind the left side fairing. Here is a pic (from the Owners Manual) with the lower fairing removed. The black plastic cover B is clearly visible with the fairing in place.

Attachments

Reactions: scout
#16 ·
Went ahead and ordered up a harness for my Woolich box yesterday and then pulled the cam chain tensioner out a click - fixed the noise there.

Going to order up some sprockets today along with a windscreen and probably some vesrah pads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.