Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Gen 4: Picked up a shock

Tags
shock
4K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  10Arghh 
#1 ·
I believe it was previously used by a team in British Superbikes (maybe Buildbase) and has recently been refreshed.

Has some wear marks, but I'm just happy that it cost me less than half the RRP (RRP is around £1085 - $1360).

I also bought it as I hate the difficulty in adjusting the preload on horizontally mounted shocks.

Hoping to fit this weekend.

Some pics

See less See more
#6 ·
First off congrats on a good find!

And don't let these guys scare you, this is getting way over thought. Put the shock on, take your time to feel/sort the shock out and go from there.

I'm one of the technical service centers/distributors for Bitubo in the US, so if you have any questions let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Good luck!

#7 ·
Thanks evallarta1.

Yes that was my plan...Fit it, set rear sag and then set damping to Bitubo base recommendations, then see what happens.

I will download the manual for the shock, but would you have any base damping settings you would recommend?

Thanks.

#8 ·
That is not a good plan.
You save much time, wrenching and frustration if you simply set shock length and preload before installing, while on table.
Belive me there is reason to doubt that numbers on this BSB shock may not be in ballpark for stock bike.

If shock length is way off then you crank some unreasonable preload numbers just to get the bike steering (rear heigth).
Simply set length to 314mm (adjuster near top joint) and check that preload is not far away from 14mm (less for 120 spring, more for 95 spring). To have preload number you find out what is "free length spec" for this spring type and substract spring length "as is" on unloaded shock. Race shocks have stronger topout springs affecting sag much. You get preload number right and then there is no need to measure sag.

Stock link may work ok unless spring (and high speed valving) are light or/and you weight is high, since shock may be at hard side.

#9 ·
Belive me there is reason to doubt that numbers on this BSB shock...
Ok you seem to be a dog with a bone on this one...so I confirmed :D

The previous owner raced in BSB Superstock, but the shock was also swapped between a full BSB Superbike.

There were 4 bikes in total (2 of each), and the Superstocks ran Kawasaki stock linkages, whilst the full fat BSB bikes ran linkages supplied by tuning shop and team MSS Colchester Kawasaki.

The shocks were completely compatible between the two. Set up was limited to the controls on the shock. Nobody died :)

You may find something that says you must use this linkage or whatever, but if a guy in BSB superstock has no problems setting laptimes I can only dream about, I should have no problem.

Cheers for your input anyway...Always best to know such information especially as I plan to race the bike.

#15 ·
Hi evallarta1,

I am looking for a user manual for my Bitubo XXF31V2 shock, and was wondering if you knew how I could get hold of a PDF copy.

If not can you help me understand what all the controls in the picture are for.

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.