Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

CCT Woes

Gen 5: 2016-20 
4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  NixK7 
#1 ·
I knew it was probably coming. With 700 miles on the bike I have the dreaded CTT noise. This may also be causing the terrible Lope at idle, and backfire when decel, at the low RPMs (3-4k).

Kawasaki's $350 race kit manual unit would probably solve it, but that is a crazy price for this.

I refuse to have the dealer rip in to my bike. I can get the APE adjuster for $85, but I'm sure my warranty would be out the window with that.

I may have to just Suck-It-Up Buttercup and get the factory unit.

Any place to get it at a discount??? I will talk to my dealer, but I'm sure their hands are tied with Kawasaki unless they tear in to it.

#4 ·
I am positive the CTT is making the noise, regardless of what is causing the Lope. No idea why they would put this stock piece of crap on a performance machine.

Is anyone here using the APE adjuster? I am leaning in that direction.

#7 · (Edited)
no, not the cam chain. But make sure you buy the extended as kawa will cover it between if you keep riding. Buy the extended from the AL moto site. And don't waste money on mods or race kits or whatever else the market dreams up to capture the mind. 700 miles and you believe cam chain failure. gold.

#8 ·
I can tell you from having my Gen 4 CCT fail, in addition to rattling like an old Cummins diesel at idle, it does cause a loping idle and loss of throttle response down low. Get it set right and these engines are very mechanically quiet. Somebody said the Gen 5 CCT design is different from the Gen 4 unit and can be adjusted with an allen wrench. If so, I'd do that first, Gen 4 requires removing the CCT and manually advancing it one tooth, a PITA but you shouldn't have to do it again for a very long time if ever.

#13 ·
There is another very lengthy, informative thread about all this somewhere on the site.

You are just letting yourself in for a lot of big headaches, jumping to such conclusions so soon.

What's the problem with having the dealer repair it under warranty?

The truth is we are always so sure of our diagnosis, and so impatient to get the bike fixed so we can keep riding it, we charge straight ahead into a lot of mistakes.

A brand-new bike, still under warranty, and you are going to void the warranty by installing an aftermarket part.

The last thread I mentioned regarding this had the guy overtightening the CCT and possible having damaged his valve train.

There ARE some good, caring techs out there. Give them a chance. Kawasaki will stand behind the bike if you give them the opportunity.

#14 ·
Nobody touches it but me. APE installed, noise gone. End of story.

The idle loping is almost gone. Not nearly what it was with the stock CCT. I doubt this will affect the backfire on Decel, but I did not have time to take it out this evening.

That stock CCT is a real POS. I can't believe they out that on a bike of this caliber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.