Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

How To: Rifleman 1/5 throttle insert 06-07 ZX-10R

28K views 62 replies 34 participants last post by  Rifleman 
#1 · (Edited)
I know that there are a couple how-to's about this but there has been some confusion with some members including myself on how to install the 1/5 throttle insert. Here is how I did it.

EDIT by Moderator bluedevil...discuss this thread here http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=68242

Tools needed:
- Phillips screwdriver
- Dremel tool
- Dikes

The tabs inside the top throttle housing need to be ground out. I used a dremel tool.

The lock nuts on the throttle cables need to be cut off. I used a pair of dikes. *****FOR SOME PEOPLE THIS DOES NOT NEED TO BE DONE******

If you have a gap in the housing after it is bolted together more adjustment is needed on the acceleration cable (top throttle cable). The throttle grip will also be slow to return from WOT.

Unbolt the throttle housing. Threads on the acceleration cable will have to be cut to allow the adjuster to screw all the way in. I used a dremel tool be very careful not to cut into the throttle cable.

Bolt the housing together; keep in mind the above steps to bolt the housing together properly.

See less See more
#10 ·
ehh....I have 8 inches of snow on the ground and subzero wind chills! Unfortunately it will have to sit a couple more months yet. I can tell you that if you watch the second video it reduces the amount of twist to get to WOT by a lot, it is going to be fun!
ya same here...lots o' ice everywhere. i just asked because i got one already and know how much i love it. becareful first few rides. it takes a little getting used to but after that, it made the bike feel like it should have came from the factory that way.

#12 ·
I love you i will be doing this install this weekend hopefuly and you cleared up alot from the other install guide A+ write up

#13 ·
I liked it in my signature because it's sooooo good. only a few pix but totally gets the meat and potato's of the install out there... plus I LUV the vids, they show EXACTLY what a throttle is supposed to do, and what it's NOT supposed to do

:thumbsup:

#17 ·
I have 1 out of 3 installed....but didnt mod anything but the housing (well someone else did) Im trying to find away to do this without cuting the lock nut off...i dont know why i keep thinking the cables will loosen up with out the lock nut...

#23 ·
Ok did the 08 last night...
I didnt cut off the lock nut, but I instead cut that amount off the turning cable, left the lock nut on and cut 1/4 thread off....
perfect snap...also cut a calbe grove in the throttle clip.....

#24 ·
fantastic write up, i had to cut 1/4 thread and locknut off the accel cable only, and have decel cable adjusted 1/4 out... works perfect :)

also thread locked housing back together to be safe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.